Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Also picked this one up today...what a wonderful sounding LP. Still researching how old it is.
    [​IMG]

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

...so here's the other new composer I've been into (along with Shostakovich) for the past few months that I mentioned in yesterday's post. I'm also proud to say - if I may - that I went against almost every review of this set - both on amazon and ''official'' reviews. Nearly every review complained - some quite vehemently - about the sound quality of this set. The performances were never an issue, just the reverberant recording. After having listened to as many samples as I could, I arrived at the following conclusion: the Collar version on EMI had a thin and bright violin tone - either due to the original recording or the remastering. The Éric Le Sage version, while blessed with a modern recording, was way too dynamic; instead of listening to dreamy chamber music, I felt like I was listening to a Mahler symphony with the widest dynamics possible (think Chailly here). The reverb in the Capuçon version is ideal, in my opinion. These are dreamy and distant-sounding works, best served by this type of sound - kind of like a slightly diffused image used in a film to portray a dream sequence. Anyway, this and the Shostakovich have seen a lot of spins. I'm glad to have these on cds and not on vinyl (did I really say that?) :hide:

[​IMG]

Wes H, scompton and bluemooze like this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I don't have a lot by Rattle. Here is one I got last month. I would say the performances & sound are good without being outstanding. The calm 'Apollo' is presented first. Recorded 12/87 & 4/88, Arts Centre, Warwick. Producer: David R. Murray. Engineer: Michael Sheady. Like all EMI classical CDs from that era, they tell you that monitoring used B&W loudspeakers, which also happens to be what I used for playback. This is another Record Club CD, produced under license by BMG.

ToddBD, bluemooze and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  4. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique RCA Shaded Dog MONO. 1S/1S.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Spotify, "Palestrina: Vergine Belle - Motets & Madrigals" performed by Akademia directed by Francoise Lasserre on Disques Pierre Verany.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, Wes H and Soulpope like this.
  6. bluemooze

An earlier release of the album shows just the mirror... :)

[​IMG]

7. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

The reason I posted this Django Reinhardt album is that after I bought it I noticed that there are 2 tracks on here that are from JS Bach’s Concerto for 2 Violins — Stephen Grappelly and Eddie South are the violinists with Django accompanying them and taking brief solos. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, Wes H, crispi and 1 other person like this.
  8. bluemooze

On Spotify, first listen to "Handel - Rodelinda" on Archiv.

Alan Curtis Conductor - (Il) Complesso Barocco
    Sonia Prina (soprano) Eduige
    Vito Priante (bass) Garibaldo
    Simone Kermes (soprano) Rodelinda
    Steve Davislim (tenor) Grimoaldo
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux (alto) Unulfo
    Mariana Mijanovic (alto) Bertarido

[​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  9. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

10. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

Wugged likes this.
  11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

1200 pages coopmv, hardback cover. And this is the condensed 'college' version ! The original 5 book edition ran to over 4000 pages !

bluemoose appears to have given it a thumbs up, so I look forward to my future educational studies :)

12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Interesting :) May pick up the Beethoven from this series - cheap as chips on Amazon.
    Recently bought these Beethoven books (yes, I am a Ludwig fanboy…..) :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have the Lewis Lockwood Beethoven book.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I really like Domus for the piano and strings works. They’re my imprint version though so there may some bias in that opinion.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  15. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Yes, the bonus is strange. The Capriccio Espagnol is on another CD as well with Cleveland and Maazel in the same box.

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I guess because it's the same conductor and orchestra, and I like Capriccio Espagnol, but in this case it killed the mood after listening to Bloch's introspective music.
    Of course I can always push "Stop".

crispi likes this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have owned this recording for a while. The late Alan Curtis was one of the best in baroque operas ...

18. bluemooze

Yes, I enjoyed listening to this. :)

19. coopmv

I have most if not all the recorded Handel operas in my collection. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find time to listen to them often due to the lengths of the works ...

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Not sure what you have, but it sounds like a later CBS repress that slipped by the QC dept.

It was originally released in 1964. My copy, which is a 2-eye gray label "Columbia Masterworks," was pressed around 1970. The deadwax matrix markings (read from the spindle out) are:
    Side 1 XXSM-77422-1H
    Side 2 XXSM-77423-1AE

Hope this helps.

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I see it has the "Yamaha Premium Piano" logo on the back, maybe this was a test CD to show how indestructible they are to banging on keys ;)

J.A.W. likes this.
  22. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'll have to give them a listen!

23. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Elgar collection ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

I have the following Bach Complete Keyboard Works box and they sound great with the virtuosic Dutch pianist Ivo Janssen on the Yamaha piano. So Steinway is not the only game in town ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Chopin: Waltzes beautifully played by Antonio Barbosa on the turntable now. This is an excellent Connoisseur Society LP from 1971. Mr. Barbosa performs on a Baldwin SD-10 concert grand.

[​IMG]

A personal side note:
    As 2018 is the 50th anniversary of one of my favorite films --Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (an early influence that helped launch my personal odyssey into classical music) -- I thought some here might find it interesting to note that the Chopin Waltzes were actually part of the filmmaking process.

In the sequence where astronaut Frank Poole (actor Gary Lockwood) jogs and shadow boxes around the spaceship's centrifuge interior, the movie soundtrack is playing the Adagio from Khachaturian's Gayne Ballet Suite... a haunting, somber piece conveying the loneliness of space.
    However, when Kubrick was filming that sequence (over many takes), he always cued up a recording of Chopin's Waltzes that Lockwood could hear over speakers inside the centrifuge, providing the pace and rhythm for his jogging and boxing!

I don't know which LP or which waltz(es), but Kubrick was cueing up a record-- not a tape.