Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following Paul Badura-Skoda DG box, still in its shrinkwrap but read that the original recordings were largely made by some budget label DG had bought out and subsequently remastered ...

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Before his work for Mercury, Hanson conducted some recordings for Columbia. Issued in 1953, the year after I was born. The sound is nothing special but performances seem OK.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  3. coopmv

Was Howard Hanson affiliated with the Eastman School of Music?

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

You must be referring to Westminster, which issued a lot of his recordings in the 1950s. Westminster was bought by ABC Records which was bought by MCA which was bought by Universal where its catalog is managed by DG.

crispi likes this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Director, 1924-64.

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Have the entire Kubelik Dvorak symphonies cycle here.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 18 from "The Choir Of St. John's College Cambridge - The Complete Argo Recordings" directed by George Guest on Decca.

"Haydn - Creation Mass"

[​IMG]

8. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

If you read John Culshaw's book "Putting the Record Straight" you will see the connection. Decca engineers did a lot of the Lyrita releases and most of them are of demonstration quality. It's quite common for engineers to work for different companies and a good example where the difference is really obvious is the Abbado Tchaikovsky cycle on Sony. Symphony no 2 and The Tempest is recorded by Telarc engineers and it sounds head and shoulders above the rest of the set.

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

One of quite a few excellent recordings Abbado made during his years with LSO. The Stravinsky series was very good also and it is a pity they didn't continue it.
    [​IMG]

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

11. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

I live in Belgium and we have some expectations for the coming world cup, since the Belgian team boasts some of the best players around.
    How to cope with boring group stage matches ? Turn down the volume of your tv set and let Beethoven or Shostakovich accompany the pictures instead of the often uninspired tv comments. Sometimes the combination is really cinematographic !

peter1 likes this.
  12. coopmv

:righton: It was indeed the Westminster label I read about. I do believe some of the recordings in this DG box were original Westminster recordings and hopefully they sound decent ...

13. coopmv

:edthumbs:

14. coopmv

Telarc was always known for the SQ of its recordings though it never had a stable roster of well-known conductors or ensembles ...

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's my impression that Telarc was always more about sound than first-rate performances, and that includes their jazz recordings.

crispi likes this.
  16. coopmv

Just about all my Telarc recordings are those with better known conductors such as Mackerras, Previn and Maazel ...

I was quite surprised and even shocked to learn that the Netherlands did not qualify for the World Cup. This must be the first time since 1974 ... :(

17. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

No, they didn’t qualify in 1982, 1986 and 2002 either.

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow, this kid can really play!
    [​IMG]

This guy isn't bad, either...;)
    [​IMG]

Listened to both via hi-res files on my flight from CA to Chicago.

19. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Is it the case of 'If you want to know about Dutch failures, ask a Belgian' …. ? :D

Just kiddin' ;)

Similarly, the Scots seem to remember, in minute detail, the game between England and Iceland in the last Euros. We English, however,can't remember a thing about the game ………….. :whistle:

Gie663 likes this.
  20. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

:edthumbs: Pollini's late Beethoven sonatas are simply fabulous. :edthumbs:

21. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Enjoy Chicago! I'm guessing you know, but the Grant Park concerts are free and wonderful - the ambience is a bit less reverent than a concert hall, but free music in beautiful weather is impossible to turn down: The Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus | The Music | The Grant Park Music Festival

I lived there for 3 years, and maintain that for four months a year, including now, it's the best city in America. The food scene there can match anywhere.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

23. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 3
    Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra/Leif Segerstam

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ds58, scompton and 4 others like this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks. We have a fairly full schedule with a river cruise today, a taping of NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" tonight, The Art Institute and The Chicago Symphony tomorrow. plus other assorted sites. We'll try to fit in a concert. Have you had dinner at the Signature Room? It's on the 95th floor of some building. I'm getting queasy just thinking about it! :)

Jayseph and ToddBD like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The current Dutch team is not very good, it's a shadow of its former self so to speak. It'll take a long time to build a new team and I doubt they'll qualify for the next couple of tournaments (Euro 2020 and the World Cup 2022 in Qatar).