Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Telarc was always known for the SQ of its recordings though it never had a stable roster of well-known conductors or ensembles ...

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's my impression that Telarc was always more about sound than first-rate performances, and that includes their jazz recordings.

crispi likes this.
  3. coopmv

Just about all my Telarc recordings are those with better known conductors such as Mackerras, Previn and Maazel ...

I was quite surprised and even shocked to learn that the Netherlands did not qualify for the World Cup. This must be the first time since 1974 ... :(

4. Gie663

Gie663 Well-Known Member

No, they didn’t qualify in 1982, 1986 and 2002 either.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow, this kid can really play!
    [​IMG]

This guy isn't bad, either...;)
    [​IMG]

Listened to both via hi-res files on my flight from CA to Chicago.

6. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Is it the case of 'If you want to know about Dutch failures, ask a Belgian' …. ? :D

Just kiddin' ;)

Similarly, the Scots seem to remember, in minute detail, the game between England and Iceland in the last Euros. We English, however,can't remember a thing about the game ………….. :whistle:

Gie663 likes this.
  7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

:edthumbs: Pollini's late Beethoven sonatas are simply fabulous. :edthumbs:

8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Enjoy Chicago! I'm guessing you know, but the Grant Park concerts are free and wonderful - the ambience is a bit less reverent than a concert hall, but free music in beautiful weather is impossible to turn down: The Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus | The Music | The Grant Park Music Festival

I lived there for 3 years, and maintain that for four months a year, including now, it's the best city in America. The food scene there can match anywhere.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

10. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 3
    Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra/Leif Segerstam

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ds58, scompton and 4 others like this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks. We have a fairly full schedule with a river cruise today, a taping of NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" tonight, The Art Institute and The Chicago Symphony tomorrow. plus other assorted sites. We'll try to fit in a concert. Have you had dinner at the Signature Room? It's on the 95th floor of some building. I'm getting queasy just thinking about it! :)

Jayseph and ToddBD like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The current Dutch team is not very good, it's a shadow of its former self so to speak. It'll take a long time to build a new team and I doubt they'll qualify for the next couple of tournaments (Euro 2020 and the World Cup 2022 in Qatar).

13. coopmv

The tale of the low countries!

14. coopmv

@J.A.W. You are brutally honest, unlike most Americans who think too highly of the US national team, which can barely beat Mexico consistently ... :hide:

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, yes, the Dutch/Belgian relationship in football has never been very good, but I don't think it's fair to talk about all the times the Belgian team didn't qualify for any tournament ;)

Gie663 likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm just a realist :)

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

We may speak the same language (though not in Southern Belgium, which is francophone), but we've been separate entities for most of the time since medieval times and even more so since 1581, and both cultures are quite different.

Mild Mavis likes this.
  18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Touche and riposte !

19. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

The third symphony is one of great masterpieces of the last century.

ds58 likes this.
  20. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

A desert island disc for me.
    [​IMG]

21. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Yup, it's on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Tower. The food is fine - I went in with low expectations and they were modestly surpassed. The brunch buffet is expensive but popular, and it gets busy. The draw is the views though - on a clear day you can see about 80 miles in each direction - on really clear days you can even see the other end of Lake Michigan. It's pretty great at night too, with all the lights of city and suburbs receding seemingly endlessly.

There's also a bar one floor above for overpriced drinks and similar views.

ToddBD and Bachtoven like this.
  22. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

My wife is a good Polish girl - careful with money………… unlike us carefree Brits who waste money. So the words 'expensive' and 'overpriced' means a no-no for the Family Wugged. Even if the view is over the Hanging Gardens Of Babylon……. :D

ubertrout likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident Thread Starter

First listen to new arrival, "John Dowland - I Saw My Lady Weep" performed by Studio Der Fruhen Musik led by Thomas E. Binkley on Archiv Blue.

Songs & Lachrimae

[​IMG]

5-String likes this.
  24. coopmv

:righton:

25. coopmv

Was Emma the weeping lady? :)