Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Bruckner collection ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope, bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  2. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to this on Spotify. Karina Gauvin, and, yes, she sounds divine.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CDs 19-21 from "Ferenc Fricsay - Complete Recordings On DG Vol.2 - Operas, Choral Works."

Mozart - Don Giovanni performed by the RIAS-Kammerchor and the Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Bruckner's "cathedral" as some Brucknerians call it. One of my all-time favourite symphonies. I also love 4 (heard it too many times, though) and 7, followed at some distance by 5, 6 and 9.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Operas and other vocal works are not my thing, so I passed on this box, but I did get Vol.1 with Fricsay's orchestral and concert recordings; a great set.

bigstar87, crispi and bluemooze like this.
  6. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

It’s a shame Furtwängler never recorded in stereo. It’s funny when you think that Karajan recorded in stereo in 1944, a full 10 years before Furtwängler’s death, yet Furtwängler himself never did.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe Andrew Rose of Pristine Records released a Furtwängler recording in "ambient stereo", he's often using that kind of manipulation (my description) of mono recordings.

8. coopmv

Which Karajan's 1944 stereo recording? I know Bell Lab made a few in the early 30's but they were not commercial recordings or were they? Didn't Bell Lab help Stokowski record his Fantasia in stereo in the early 30's?

9. coopmv

I personally cannot care less for fake stereo, which is just colorized films, the phony stuffs ...

10. crispi

He recorded a single Bruckner movement in stereo in 1944. There are also other conductors’ recordings from that era in stereo, all done on magnetic tape before the rest of the world knew what that was.

hvbias likes this.
  11. coopmv

I have the following Karajan's DG box with recordings mostly from the 40's but they are all mono to the best of my knowledge ...

[​IMG]

But where is that single Bruckner's movement?

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  12. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Nor of mine.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

15. coopmv

I have quite a few of her recordings. She is known as the Queen of Baroque ...

ando here likes this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Would you mostly be referring to pieces from the big time "warhorse" composers like Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner etc? If so after thinking about it a while I could easily come up with a nearly exclusive European conductor/orchestra list in my mind where the performances were top tier. So I guess I am in agreement with you! Funny I never really thought about country of composer/recording before. I simply love the sound of the VPO, but besides that I don't really distinguish between orchestras. I am more wary after hearing an orchestra playing poorly on numerous recordings.

crispi likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have really enjoyed these last few years where I've been listening to many more historical recordings, primarily pianists and violinists not conductors... mostly because I prefer more modern (tape era and beyond) recording of symphonies. If the music suits it, why not a more personal interpretation- that's my moto now :)

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 2 from "Rafael Kubelik - The Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon."

Beethoven Symphony 1 - performed by the London Symphony Orchestra
    Beethoven Symphony 3 - performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker

[​IMG]

19. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Up watching the first of a 5 disc set dubbed Discovering Masterpieces of Classical Music: Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto in A Minor

Normally I find these programs deadly dull but this series is well done. You don't think of the great composers making concessions in terms of composition for the marketplace (in Schumann's case, it was publishing) but it absolutely altered the writing of this well known concerto.
    I wondered if it was on the web and was delighted to find that it was.

as well as the Marth Argerich/Riccardo Chailly full performance.

Both are included in the set, a nice package for lovers of the music.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Paul Hindemith
    Avant-gardist and Freethinker

For literally just a few dollars this 4 CD set recorded primarily in mono but featuring the key works of Hindemith (performed alternately by the Philharmonia Orchestra, the Berliner Philharmoniker and various uncredited "performers") is a must own, imo; particularly if you're unacquainted with his work.

bluemooze, royzak2000 and Thomas R like this.
  21. coopmv

Here is my ONLY Hindemith recording ...

[​IMG]

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The cantor, a tenor, sings the melodies before each of the choral preludes upon which it is based. Mason plays the C.B. Fisk organ named in her honor at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Recorded by Brookwood Studios. Engineer: David Lau. CD from 1993.

bluemooze and Matt Richardson like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded March through May, 1978, Gedächtniskirche, Stuttgart. Producer: Hans-Jochaim Daub. Engineer: Teije van Geest. 1991 CD reissue.

bluemooze and Matt Richardson like this.
  24. crispi

This is the one, @coopmv. From the same series is also the 1944 stereo Gieseking Emperor concerto recording, which can be found in better quality in Youtube than on any CD. It’s a well-known recording, I’ve mentioned it before.

Funny that this is played so slowly. I’ve come to associate faster playing with Karajan.

5-String likes this.
  25. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.