Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How do you like Buchbinder? I have his Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas box ...

2. coopmv

I have some Harnoncourt's recordings on Vanguard from the same period ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I play piano and found some parts of the review confusing as well. My take away is that it is worth hearing his Chopin, looking forward to sampling it this weekend. If you have the CD version would you mind saying who (or what studio) mastered it? Thank you.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

On the back of the cover it says "Digital remastering [published] as shown in booklet", which with these Icon sets usually means they used different masterings from various points in time.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Damn test pressings it took me ten minutes to work out the order of play.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. coopmv

I bought this box a while back and really enjoyed it on my first listen since I already knew about Malcuzynski going back to the mid 70's from his Chopin recordings on Angel. I care about what I like when I listen to the recordings a lot more than what a review had to say ...

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

These recordings made by Orpheus Chamber Orchestra in in 1995 and 1996 which plays some minor tunes composed by Igor Stravinsky deserve a passionate listening:

[​IMG]

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've not encountered many of his recordings, but his playing of the Eroica Variations is impressive enough that I'd like to hear his playing of the Sonatas. He certainly displays power on this LP-- pounding out the bass line with considerable gusto during the faster sections.

Overall, though, I prefer Gould's take. ;)

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable this afternoon, Sonatas for Cello and Piano -- one each by Rachmaninoff and Kodaly.
    Harvey Shapiro, Cello, and Earl Wild, Piano.

Nicely recorded by Marc J. Aubort for this 1967 Nonesuch LP.

[​IMG]

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Actually, I find it interesting to read what critics have to say, even if I don't agree. Certainly critics can't expect to be above criticism.

Were you not expecting any comments... or only positive comments?

11. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Yes. I listened to it again today and can't remember a single melody out of the 18 pieces!

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Of course critics can expect criticism - that's not the point - but I don't understand why people are often so negative; why not counter the critic's view with one's own opinion instead of only saying what they disapprove of. It's always the same on boards like this, negativity prevails when it comes to dissenting opinions. And no, I don't expect only positive comments on internet boards...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    shanebrown likes this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Analogue Years box. Includes Berwald: Grand Septet in B Flat Major.

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Listened to T1 & T2 from the following box on my just completed late afternoon walk ...

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable... Chopin Ballades, played by Rubinstein. RCA 1960.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

I have the following Rubinstein's Chopin box but it may or may not include the above recording as he was one of the most recorded pianists IIRC and might have recorded these works multiple times ...

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  17. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Finally made it to Chicago Digital today after hearing about it a while ago. You need a car to get there but it's a charming place - very CD focused and 70% classical stock. They do the thing where they have plastic sleeves with images in front and stock in the back, which I'm not a fan of, but a good classical shop isn't to be gainsayed.

ando here, David*M and bluemooze like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 7/4/81, Studio 103, Radio France, Paris. This is considerably better than I expected. Disc made by Sony in Japan. "Digitally recorded using the 3M Digital recorder." The booklets of these early CBS CDs folded out, with the inside giving you a poster-like reproduction on the LP back cover. You'd think Maazel, an American, wouldn't have recorded on the 4th of July, but then he was born in France. :)

19. coopmv

Why 3M digital recorder when Sony could have used its homegrown digital recorder?

20. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Some Handel tonight.

[​IMG]

Crimson jon and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

I have this Handel box. To the best of my knowledge, this may be the ONLY Handel Xerxes box out there. Unfortunately, neither Hogwood nor Pinnock ever recorded this work, which would have surpassed this box in performance ...

22. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following Weissenberg RCA box, which @DeepFloyd11 has convinced me to acquire for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 and Matt Richardson like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Well I hope you're happy with it and enjoy Weissenberg's talent. Please do let us know what you think of it. :edthumbs:

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

This is before Sony bought CBS Records. They just used Sony to manufacture the disc. I forgot to give these credits: Producer: Roy Emerson. Engineers: Guy Level & Jacques Boifgallais. I never heard of the engineers; probably they worked for Radio France.

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "French Sacred Music of the 14th Century, Vol. 1" performed by Schola Discantus on Lyrichord.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    ando here likes this.