Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

No, just Haydn's last twelve "London" Symphonies.

2. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

I have this not complete Boulez box and I was pleasantly surprised that it has all the American covers. Most of the European covers were dead boring.
    [​IMG]

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

What a fantastic box. I have them all, ecxept the Ravel, on various formats. Love Boulez as a composer and conductor.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    bluemooze, hvbias and Thomas R like this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm rather new to Haydn in general and figured on diving in via Karajan since I had it on hand. I've seen the term "Big Band" applied to a few conductors' interpretations. Am I right in assuming that it's a reference to the use of far larger ensembles than the music directly calls for?

Also, is there a more "authentic" treatment of these symphonies that you'd recommend for comparison's sake?

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

6. coopmv

I did not think Karajan really recorded that many Haydn Symphonies ... :confused:

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, "big-band" Haydn is the traditional way of recording Haydn, with big orchestras. That doesn't suit the smaller symphonies in my opinion. Here's a great set with smaller orchestras on period instruments:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

I only have the "incomplete" Haydn Symphonies by Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre ...

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Yes, it is fantastic. But I wonder who it is that compiles these boxes because very often there are music missing. In this case it is the early Ravel Shéhérazade, Ouverture de Féerie and Fanfare Pour L'Eventail de Jeanne that are missing. In the Entremont box a whole album was missing and the DG Boston Symphony box lacked two whole albums.

ubertrout and crispi like this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I agree with @J.A.W. in that Haydn's "smaller" symphonies (which I define as his early symphonies) work best with smaller forces. For the later symphonies, I find the small bands don't deliver all the impact and excitement built into those more mature works that just cries out for more volume. (Of course, as they say, YMMV.)

I also like Adam Fischer in some of the early symphonies. Like Antal Dorati, he recorded a very fine complete set that I find has merit:

[​IMG]

For the later symphonies (which I define as 82-104), I'm partial to the recordings Colin Davis made with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra for Philips. For me, Davis is at the top of the heap. The RCO under his direction is far more nimble than what you'll hear on that Karajan set. As a bonus, Phililps' recordings are superb.

[​IMG]

Where precision is concerned, George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra at the top of their game is a hard combination to beat and a marvel to hear. As with Davis, "Big Band" in the hands of Szell is never sluggish, but vibrant and dynamic.
    It's unfortunate he didn't record all the "London" symphonies, but what's available is definitely worth checking out.

[​IMG]
    Are these "authentic"? We could discuss that all day and likely never reach a consensus. I'd advise that you try out several of these if you can and just go with what moves you. "Authentic" may make the scholars nod with approval, but (IMHO) can also produce some incredibly sterile, lean and boring music. As I said earlier, YMMV. ;)

12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have an Angel LP with a couple of Haydn Symphonies that he recorded in the analog era, as well as this 3-LP box set of the "Paris" Symphonies that were recorded digitally:

[​IMG]

That's about all I can recall without doing a big search through my shelves. (I don't file by conductor.) Some of these "Paris" and "London" symphonies seem rushed (as in not-quite-polished)-- as though Karajan was pushing himself to record (and re-record) everything possible in the digital medium in the last few years of his life.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

That the lovely Heather Harper one, me I like von Otter on the later one, but then I have a thing for Anne Sophie ever since she smiled at me.

cdgenarian, bluemooze and Wugged like this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The Mass in B minor.
    [​IMG]

Matt Richardson, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  15. coopmv

I have this LP box. I think the Karajan Symphony Edition CD box should have all the Karajan's Haydn Symphonies ...

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'll have to take a look for this. I'm mostly impressed that someone was able to compile a "complete cycle" from so few ensembles...

Thanks for the recommendations. I probably shouldn't have used the word "authentic" to describe what I was after. "Appropriate" might have been the better option. Finding words for classical works is an art unto itself, because I agree that the "scholarly" approach can often be pretty dry and uninteresting. At the same time, there's something to be said for sticking a bit closer to what the composer at least appeared to have in mind at the time - which isn't always the same thing as "what brings out the most from the music on the page." Decisions, decisions... :winkgrin:

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed on the Davis and Szell. Great "traditional" big-band performances.

Wes H likes this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Really like this Mahler's own piano transcription, then I love Fassbaender.
    [​IMG]

Matt Richardson and bluemooze like this.
  20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think this was originally meant as a demo disc for new hi-fi stereo setups. It's aged quite well. I kind of want to pull out the SACD when I get home.

bigstar87 likes this.
  21. coopmv

The only stereo setup "disc" I have is the following 45 RPM that came with my Pioneer QX-747 quad receiver that is now in storage ...

[​IMG]

I have never seen a test disc for stereo setup from DG. How about you, @crispi?

[​IMG]

crispi, Matt Richardson and bluemooze like this.
  22. coopmv

Obviously, you have saved a bundle since you bought the big box ...

[​IMG]

I bought the individual works.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Listening to this evening....

Narciso Yepes - Domenico Scarlatti Sonatas (autocorrect really wanted to change his name to Narcissistic! I had to retype it three times before it gave up changing it!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    crispi, ubertrout, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

One of the best performances of the Sonata that I have heard. He plays every piece phenomenally well. Good sound--a little bright and hardens a bit in the climatic passages.

[​IMG]

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "Boulez Conducts Debussy" on Sony.

With the New Philharmonic Orchestra, The Cleveland Orchestra and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

royzak2000, Bubbamike, Wes H and 2 others like this.