Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Not to be confused with Phillips International, a Sun Records sub-label started by Sam Phillips in 1957. Supposedly Philips wasn't happy about the name.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just returned from my 1 hour 3 1/2 mile walk (and it is warming up, not good :() and listened to the following CD from my miscellaneous collection ...

[​IMG]

@crispi, You are the expert on stats. Has this CD sold in the millions?

Runicen, bluemooze and bigstar87 like this.
  3. coopmv

You need a vacation in Hammerfest fast! :D:agree:

I wish I was there right now!

Wugged likes this.
  4. coopmv

Yeah, what exactly was the story from the name switch of Stephen Bishop to Stephen Kovacevich. I understand there was another non-classical Stephen Bishop out there at the time ...

5. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Trillions!!! :D:D:D

I also read that it was Karajan‘s favourite photo of his from the later years. It was also on the cover of his 2nd version of Mahler‘s 9th. It’s by a woman photographer, if I’m not mistaken.

[​IMG]

Dan C, Runicen and bluemooze like this.
  6. coopmv

He married three times and I suppose the wife got increasingly prettier ... :biglaugh:

7. Another one from the Decca Sound box set, I don't think I've ever listened to this one before.
    [​IMG]

8. coopmv

Herbert Blomstedt was instrumental in lifting the SFS into the same league with BSO and CSO IMHO. He was born American from Swedish parents studying in the US but has probably given up his US citizenship ...

9. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

British Prime minister Edward Heath did quite a lot of conducting of orchestras, smaller ensembles and choirs. EMI released his interpretations of Elgar's Cockaigne and some other pieces. He often invited people to his home to listen to new records of classical music.

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Not to mention the girlfriends.

11. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

That’s the tune John Lennon avsked George to play on his acoustic on the double decker in Liverpool when the band just got stsrted.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

I am a dino when it comes to mobile digital music player. The problem with both the iPod and iPhone is neither of them plays hi-res files. I have never had an iPhone and doubt I will ever bother. I am still using my 6-year old Nokia Lumia 920. Hopefully, the top Nokia phone will soon be available in the US again.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

crispi likes this.
  14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yep, that's remote enough……….. :)

15. coopmv

16. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I’ll tell you a secret, but don’t tell anyone else on this forum. I don’t care for hi-res.

It has its place in the recording studio and in processing audio. But as a delivery format I don’t think it holds an advantage over 16/44.

Marzz and bigstar87 like this.
  17. coopmv

I recently ripped a bunch of CD's in the FLAC format and they sound a bit better than the MP3 variety ...

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs:

crispi likes this.
  19. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. It's great for remastering and editing (especially from the original master tapes) but for personal listening, I'll stick with 16 bit/44.1

HowardLive and crispi like this.
  20. coopmv

Is MP3 16/44.1?

21. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

I've found that for compressed audio, the date or version of the codec is huge. Current lame mp3 (with -q 0 setting, slowest/hiqh quality setting) is leaps and bounds better than mp3 from 12 years ago.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

yep

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Ockeghem - Requiem/Missa Mi-Mi" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on EMI.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If MP3s were CDs how would the files be compressed up to 90%? Lossy codecs remove information while lossless codecs keep all information and reorganize the file to reduce size by a modest amount. This has been discussed in great detail in Audio Hardware Forum so it would be best to search there.

25. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

I agree that 90% compression for mp3 would be too much to retain transparency but 320 kbps lame preserves most audible information. Personally, I rip everything to Flac for home listening and convert to mp3 for mobile listening