Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Anyone got more thoughts on the Stravinsky Complete Columbia Collection? I don't think I can spring for it until Christmas at the earliest.

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just returned from my 45 min, 2 1/2 mile late afternoon walk and listened to CD1 from the following twofer from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

What a master violinist! :righton:

Mr Bass, bluemooze and AlmanacZinger like this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I already owned 5 of the discs from eclassical deals of the day so I decided not to buy the whole set. I agree that they are very good.

5. coopmv

I have 10 recordings by the London Baroque across a few different labels and two of them are on BIS. I doubt I will go for the set since I already have thousands of baroque recordings ...

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Looking forward to this set, which will be released in October and which I hope to get later this year:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  7. coopmv

How many CD's does this box have?

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze likes this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Does anyone listen to different types of Classical during seasonal changes? If so, what is your preference during Autumn?

Runicen likes this.
  10. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I don't own it but I was able to borrow & listen to the whole thing. Strongly recommended! Excellent audio restoration on the pre-tape recordings. The discographic detail in the booklet is supplied by Philip Stuart & Mike Gray, who between them must know about everything there is to know when it comes to classical discography.

bluemooze and AlmanacZinger like this.
  12. coopmv

It appears I have every CD except that bonus disc for that Tamas Vasary's box you posted ...

I have zero interest to get any more Vasary's recordings.

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another favorite vocal work, sung by Fischer-Dieskau with Furtwangler conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra. Recorded in Kingsway Hall, 6/24-25/52. The 2nd day happens to be the day of my birth. Producer: Lawrance Collingwood. The second side has seven Brahms lieder sung by F-D with Hertha Klust on piano. I could find no information on side two. According to Discogs this was issued in 1958, as was the HMV equivalent.

14. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

IIRC the copy I checked out from the local public library when I was young was an English (Angel) pressing. This one must be just a bit later.

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I assume so. My copy was pressed at Capitol's Scranton factory. I wonder when Angel stopped using generic covers & if the 1958 date is correct. If it's right, why did they wait so long to issue this?

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I play all my 'Christmas' classical music in December, but most of it doesn't sound christmasy really. :)

AlmanacZinger, David*M and Wes H like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 10/55, Victoria Hall, Geneva. Producer: Victor Olof. Engineer: Gil Went. Issued as LL 1404, 10/56. The catalog number was later changed to fit the new CM mono series but the jacket remained the same. Issued in stereo on STS 15014, 3/67.

18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Louisville Orchestra made a long series of recordings of contemporary &/or obscure music for their own First Edition label. This one comes from around 1968 & is conducted by their music director Jorge Mester. Produced by Howard Scott, who had a long career at Columbia & RCA.

bluemooze and Thomas R like this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It’s remarkable that a small, regional orchestra could do that back then. I wonder if they were the first orchestra with their own label? I have a couple of them on CD.

Eramire156 likes this.
  20. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

A goldmine! Home is where I have my Stravinsky box.

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

For autumn -- Dvorak and Brahms.

hvbias, layman, AlmanacZinger and 2 others like this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Not really, although I make it a point to listen to the complete Nutcracker on Christmas Eve.

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Taking a break from morning classical listening.

While my Fiio is "at the cleaners" (I picked up a pair of 256gb cards for it and it takes a geolithic age to transfer to them), I decided to make use of the CD changer I had at the office, which affords me the chance to bust out some of the mega boxes I haven't ripped yet.

C.P.E. Bach's "Brilliant Classics" omnibus set was first up - with the oboe concertos and viola da gamba music getting a solid playthrough. Very much enjoying his work so far, even if it's just been a surface skim so far. Also have my Johann Sebastian DG "Masterworks" box with me. May be spinning Pollini's Well-Tempered Klavier this afternoon.

For the moment, totally off the reservation listening to Jan Akkerman's self-titled solo album.

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, disc 53 from the above box, with Beethoven 6 with the Cleveland Orchestra, recorded in 1962 - the box also has an earlier recording with the NYPO, or Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York, as it was called back then (1955).