Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Probably not until spring. I'm on a grand jury which meets 3 days a month for the entire year. I'm missing so much work, my office doesn't want me taking off more than a day or two at a time.

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

A grand jury the story of that would last a few pints then we would be ready for music, see you next year.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It's worth multiple listens, IMO.

royzak2000 likes this.
  4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Listening to Concerto #1 on Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Wugged, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

He is talking about Soho, London.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

While there is only one Greenwich Village and that is in NYC, there is Greenwich the city in the UK but there are more than one Soho's, one in London and the other in NYC. No doubt the one in London is far more famous ...

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Roland de Lassus: Biographie Musicale, Vol. II" performed by Singer Pur on Musique En Wallonie.

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Still working my way through these two recordings...and probably will for the foreseeable future! (Along with some new purchases that should arrive shortly.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Greenwich Village is part of London.All time throughout the world is based on Greenwich meantime from the observatory based there, the NY one was named after it. As was the NY Soho.
    There is no Greenwich city in the UK

ShallowMemory likes this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Fritz Wunderlich Sings Lieder (Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann). DGG Germany tulip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Wes H, crispi and 2 others like this.
  11. bluemooze

It might have back in the 60s. :)

royzak2000 likes this.
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I'm afraid I find his playing cold and bright. Maybe this is partly due to the piano he uses, I don't know.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Pretty wonderful :) :)

crispi likes this.
  14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I'm not sure there is 'Greenwich village' in London either R. Just Greenwich.

15. bluemooze

First listen to "Bach - St. Matthew Passion" with the New York Philharmonic from "Leonard Bernstein Edition - The Vocal Works" on Sony.

Edit - Arrived from JPC with outstanding packing. :)

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

There is with it's own market. I worked there in a record store all locals call it the village.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

:love::love::love:

Fritz Wunderlich, man, is one of those guys... I’m really not that big of a fan of opera or lied, but his voice is just amazing. I’ve never heard anyone sound quite like him. Such powerful yet effortless singing. Too bad he died so young, in 1966 because of a stupid household accident. But recently I read an article written about someone who knew him and apparently he already felt burned out at that young age of 36, and was considering retirement. So I guess if he himself considered he was already done, I’ll go along with it and say just “bless him”.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not into classical singing, but Fritz Wunderlich's voice was indeed amazing.

20. coopmv

This is what I found in the American Heritage Dictionary

Green·wich 1. ( grµn“¹ch, gr ¹n“¹j) A borough of Greater London in southeast England on the Thames River. It is the site of the original Royal Observatory, through which passes the prime meridian, or longitude 0 °. 2. ( grµn“¹ch, gr ¹n“-, gr ¶n“w¹ch”) A town of southwest Connecticut on Long Island Sound near the New York border. Settled in 1640, it is mainly residential.

There is also the town Greenwich in my state ...

royzak2000 likes this.
  21. coopmv

How about Hans Hotter? :)

22. coopmv

Not sure if I have any of his recordings on LP though I am pretty sure I do not have any of his CD's ...

23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I know this isn’t classical, but this is the classical and conversation thread I thought to myself, why not. This is Friedrich Gulda, after all.

Just stumbled upon this video which doesn’t have that many English-speaking comments, surely because it’s in German. But I had a blast watching it.

It’s basically Gulda explaining the blues to a German TV presenter in the ‘60s. He slowly builds up a blues tune by just playing the chords, then adding more complex harmonies, voicings, bass and drums. Along the way, he asks the presenter to count along, exclaiming in the middle “Which measure are we in?” — “I don’t know” the presenter shouts back — “Haha, wouldn’t it be funny if the musicians didn’t either?”. At the end, he mentions the title, Billie’s Bounce, then translates it into German as “Wilhelms Sprung”. Pretty hilarious.

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I feel you have to take these kind of comments with a dose of salt. All performers get fed up at some point with the music biz. I suspect he was inebriated at the time he fell. Stairs are the most dangerous part of any house or building.

25. bluemooze

How can you play and count at the same time? Do you need the written music in front of you? :)