Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD17 - Beethoven Piano Sonatas Nos 1 - 3, the digital version since I already have the analogue version for a few years, from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Dan C and bluemooze like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

But wait...there's more! Recorded 11/6, 11/12 & 11/15, 1935, Abbey Road Studios. Issued 1957.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Dan C, bigstar87, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  3. coopmv

Did you pick up these LP's at McKay? :winkgrin:

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes indeed. Actually it was a while back and I never played them (more to come) until now. I corrected the recording year; it was 1935.

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to "Verdi - La Traviata" performed by Teatro Nacional De San Carlos Lisboa led by Franco Ghione on Warner.

Featuring Maria Callas, Alfredo Krauss, Mario Sereni and Laura Zannini.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Hey Wilma. WILMA! You gotta see this. Betty is playing the piano.
    Oh Fred that's not Betty - just an impostor. Those jokers at DG will try anything for a laugh.

[​IMG]

Dan C, Wugged, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  7. coopmv

Now playing CD18 - Beethoven Piano Sonatas Nos 4 - 6, the digital version from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, bluemooze and bigstar87 like this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Umm...it's fake! (I'm hoping you know that!)

9. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

from the Szell complete Columbia box set:
    [​IMG]
    The Cleveland string section really shines in this recording, awesome remastering job

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The next volume. Recorded 4/10/33, 10/2/33 & 3/25/32.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued 1960. On the second side Stanislaw Wislocki conducts the Warsaw Philharmonic in the Introduction and Allegro. Recorded 10/11/58 (Concerto), 4/29/59 (Introduction), 5/2/59 (Novellette) & 5/4/59 (Toccata). Issued with a different cover in stereo on SLPM 138 077 in 1962.

12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Some... especially Impressionist paintings, though he wouldn't like that association. "En Bateau" perfectly captures a boat lazily gliding on water, but I still envision an early 20th century era.

Joseph Marshall likes this.
  13. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything about this upcoming Shostakovich quartets recording by the Borodin Quartet? Is it a new recording or one of the older cycles?

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  14. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I would bet on it. Only the Hammerklavier was issued on 78s by RCA, so they would not have had metal masters for the other sonatas in their vaults.

vanhooserd and crispi like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's a new recording.

crispi and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Listening to the Quintet in C Major, opus 29 (Simon Rowland-Jones, viola) and string Quartet in F major. opus 59 #1 " Razumovsky".
    This set is part of the 40 CD Brilliant box, except for the opus 18 quartets, which are played by the Sharon Quartet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  17. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

18. coopmv

Now playing CD19 - Beethoven Piano Sonatas Nos 7 - 10, the digital version from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and Bachtoven like this.
  19. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

I recently got a huge pile of classical LPs, including about 30 boxed sets, from the apartment of a friend's relative who died.

The boxes all have a brochure in them titled "Carnegie Hall Selection Committee Report," so the deceased was a member of this record club, it seems in the 1970s.

I've found them all to be quite good. Certainly good performances--lots of quartets done by Melos, Amadeus, Quartetto Italiano, lots of Berlin Phil, I Musici, etc.

The sound seems also surprisingly good to me. These are mostly DG and Philips, which I usually find to be fine but not especially exciting, and most are made in Italy.

I know this record club has been mentioned before here. I do think it was a pretty selective enterprise, due to the quality of what I've been hearing.

Currently listening to the Abbado Brahms symphonies on DG. Not my favorite cycle, but the sound is lush and forceful. Very happy to have picked up these sets!

vanhooserd, bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

It looks like the upcoming recording of Carmignola playing Bach violin sonatas and partitas was done to as part of the BACH333 project, according to this promo video:

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

1685 + 333 = 2018 as 1685 was JS Bach's year of birth. To be honest, I am so tired of these marketing ploys just to get you to spend more money. I surely would not spend $1 on any BACH333 products ...

22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The big takeaway (for me) from the campaign is... "Holy crap! It's only been 333 years since Bach's birth?"

Kind of puts paid to any expectation that we're operating in some mythical enlightened future age. What was the Carlin line? "We're barely out of the jungle, folks." :biglaugh:

23. crispi

I'm sure many other will, though. People have different needs. Unlike you, some are maybe just starting to collect classical music, and a set like this will give their collection a huge boost and pleasure for many to years to come. I know I benefited a lot from these kinds of sets when I was starting out with classical a few years ago.

bigstar87 likes this.
  24. crispi

That was exactly my reaction when I saw that!!! 333 is not that long ago if you think about how much music's changed 'til then. And how little change there was in the 333 years preceding Bach's birth.

Runicen likes this.
  25. coopmv

I have some 1,800 recordings of JS Bach between CD's and LP's and certainly do not need any BACH333 nonsense ...