Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

These folks look like they're about to lay out a wicked electronic or industrial album. :laugh:

"Our next song will be 'The Deconstruction of the Melting Man.' Jeff will be playing the electric drill and Sue will be on Theremin."

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Today is Glenn Gould's birthday! He would have been 86.

Annually on this date I play my original LP of the 1955 recording of the Bach Goldberg Variations. So here it goes.

Happy Birthday, Glenn!

[​IMG]

Dan C, McLover, Starwanderer and 7 others like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following Reperformance remastered based on the same original 1955 recording ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is supposed to be the equivalent of a SACD recording.

vanhooserd, bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

So this re-recording leaves out the vocal accompaniment then? :winkgrin:

crispi likes this.
  6. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

:laughup:

(Fortunately, this was still early in his career. He still cared enough to be quiet. :shh:)

Runicen likes this.
  7. coopmv

Not sure if Gould hummed along during the recording. It has been a good twenty years since I last heard this recording ...

8. coopmv

@crispi , Your LP collection is somewhat more interesting than mine as I have noticed you have some DG LP's that were pressed in the 1960's which I definitely do not have - I may have some DG's that were recorded in the 1960's but pressed in the 1970's. I do have a few RCA or Columbia I bought as cutouts in the mid to late 70's that were recorded and pressed in the 1950's and 1960's but those recordings are not worth much both in terms of performance and pressing ...

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Still working my way through this 20-CD set. So far, just one disappointment, the 6th Partita. He plays it too fast for my taste.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Oswald von Wolkenstein: Monophonic and Polyphonic Lieder. Binkley, Early Music Studio. EMI Germany gold label

One of the main composers of polyphonic lieder along with Ciconia (Ciwagne) in the transitional period between Machaut and Dufay. I suspect he was one of the last to still compose monophonic lieder as well. Part of the aristocracy he had probably a congenital problem in one eye. He was quite a character. The EMI Germany gold labels all have outstanding sonics so I wonder if it was vinyl formulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 3. Symphony #3 and The Bells.

[​IMG]

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Metamorfosi Trecento - Transformations of Myth in the Ars Nova" performed by La Fonte Musica led by Michele Pasotti on Alpha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

royzak2000 and scompton like this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I guess that's the advantage of me having started collection classical LPs only a few years ago. Good stuff (where I am, naturally, mostly German pressings) can be had for a few bucks (not as little as @DeepFloyd11 's 1 CAD buys, but still cheap). Back when you were collecting LPs, the industry was operating differently: high pricing for normal LPs and lower pricing for "budget" releases, which were reissues of older releases intentionally botched in terms of artwork in order not to anger those who had already paid full price for them 10 years earlier. And buying used vinyl was not as prevalent as it is today.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  14. coopmv

Excellent analysis! Back in the golden days of classical music, circa 1970's, you paid for good music and I spent thousands of dollars to build up my LP collection.

I have a few Philips Festivo LP's, Philips budget line, featuring Haitink and Arrau as well as our mutual favorite Austrian pianist Ingrid Haebler.

BTW, @vanhooserd is the bargain champ, as I have noticed most of his LP's were priced 50 cents or less ...

McLover and crispi like this.
  15. coopmv

@crispi, Back in the day, circa mid to late 70's, a full priced DG or Philips LP on sale would be $5.99 while the budget line like Philips Festivo would be $4.49. What is the equivalent of today's price? I have seen DG LP selling for close to $30 at some etailers ...

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not really a Jochum fan, but couldn't pass on this long OOP Philips set with his Beethoven Symphonies cycle with the Concertgebouw Orchestra:

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

I paid $29.97 for this box on September 3, 2007 ...

Wish I had bought more of these Philips Original Masters boxes ...

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, that was a great series. I also missed out on quite a few, unfortunately.

I've never heard Jochum's Philips Beethoven with the CO, but couldn't let it go. Some love it, others hate it...

19. coopmv

I also have the following but it is a Decca box ...

[​IMG]

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I assume most recordings are with l'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. Not a fan.

21. coopmv

I figured! Can't say I am a major fan of Ansermet either ...

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm continuing to enjoy this set

[​IMG]

via my new MrSpeakers Aeon Flow headphones! They are remarkably transparent and detailed for closed headphones.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I started buying classical LPs in the mid-90s, a few years after I really got started on my CD collection. I was buying lots of used CDs: jazz, blues, rock & country. I started buying used classical CDs & then noticed that used classical LPs often had low prices & were in decent condition compared to budget-priced LPs in other genres. About 10 years ago a guy who worked at one of the shops noticed I was buying classical LPs & offered to show me the incoming classical records & sell me any I wanted for $1 each. I bought boxes at a time & accumulated lots of records over a few years. Eventually that ended, but I have continued to buy a few now & then. A few months ago I decided not to play any classical CDs, just LPs. I'm having a good time catching up.

McLover, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  24. coopmv

I built 3 record shelves between the mid 70's and early 80's but they are now stuffed to full capacity. That is the single biggest reason I would not buy any more LP's, no matter how good a bargain is. In the meantime, I am reaching storage capacity for my CD's as well ...

vanhooserd likes this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now on the TT... A Consort Of Musicke Bye William Byrde And Orlando Gibbons performed by Glenn Gould.
    A Columbia Masterworks LP, released September 29, 1971.
    The bulk of this album was recorded at the 30th Street Studio in NYC. Gould also supplied the liner notes.

[​IMG]

For reasons unknown, Gould's trademark "humming" at the keyboard is almost non-existent on this album.

Dan C, Eigenvector, bluemooze and 2 others like this.