Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde w/ Ruckert Songs. Walter, Ferrier, Patzak. London UK concert mix double LP

There were two mixes that Decca made of Walter's Das Lied von der Erde: one that appeared on Decca and later London issues and one that appeared on early London UK pressings which have an X in front of the record numbers as seen below. The Decca mix has more upfront vocals while the early London X pressing has a concert mix with voices more balanced with orchestra. An Opus Kura 2008 double CD (OPK 2023) provides both mixes for the first time together with excellent remastering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

VinylBeat.com: LP Label Guide: Record Labels A - C: ANGEL

Here's a guide to Angel labels. Types 1B and 2 are non-classical, and 3 is the historical series. Do they have 6 and 5 switched, chronologically? I thought the yellow and brown label came before the beige & black.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Nice!

I think most of my Angel LP's have label style 7A and may have a small number of style 6 ...

4. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

For some reason I haven't figured out Conway Twitty (Harold Jenkins) is buried in Gallatin, TN, my home town.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

6 followed 4. I think 5 was actually after 7. There was also a late Angel Digital label.

Walter H likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to "Nightfall" performed by Alice Sara Ott on DG.

Looks like Alice and Helene had the same idea. Both CDs are very enjoyable. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan C likes this.
  8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I think you're right. Forgot about the digital label, red & black on white background.

vanhooserd likes this.
  9. coopmv

IIRC, some of my EMI LP's have the red and white record label with the image of an angel ...

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning in MC 5.0. A great performance and sound.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

Not that familiar with Ivan. I am more familiar with his brother Adam since I have all his Haydn Symphonies on Nimbus ...

12. Rose River Bear

That is awesome....the walk that is. I am not familiar with the CD.
    I did two miles today....not bad considering my ankle injury. I think I can do three this weekend and then hopefully back to the mountains...maybe 1,000 feet to start with. Heck after 1,000 feet I get scared of the mountain lions and bruins anyway. :D:eek:

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

I had a 9-mile walk on Sunday that took me a little 2 hours. No mountain in my area to climb anyway ...

crispi, bluemooze and Rose River Bear like this.
  14. Rose River Bear

That is great. I need to work my way back to that distance. There is a five thousand foot mountain about 100 yards from my house here in BC. Lots of mountains. I will never get to the top of one but they look good. :D My best hike is I did Franconia Ridge in New Hampshire in one day in my 40s. The good old days. :love:
    I have done most of the mountains in Maine and NH. The Skyline Drive as well in VA.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. coopmv

Just became Medicare eligible earlier this month but have been in retirement for 5 1/2 years. I did not start walking a few times a week until summer of last year. When the weather gets snowy, I go to the gym though I have not been there since mid February. I still prefer walk in the open-space than working out in a gym ...

bluemooze and Rose River Bear like this.
  16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The page is a total mess. Obviously someone with little knowledge of US Angel threw it together. There are two different digital labels, wrong order, wrong description, missing variants etc.

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's that digital label on a jazz/classical "crossover". Or maybe "composed jazz'. Anyway, I enjoyed this Concerto without an orchestra & the great playing from all involved. It also sounds good. Producer: Patti Laursen. Engineer: Robert Norberg. Recorded using the Mitsubishi Digital Recording System.

TheVinylAddict, crispi and bluemooze like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 12/19/58, Assembly Hall, Salt Lake City. Issued in stereo on WST 14064. I have the stereo version in a 2-CD 1988 MCA Classics Double Decker set along with Rodzinski's 'Nutcracker'.

19. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued 1/52, five months before I was born. Recorded 5/31/51, Musikverein. Producer: Victor Olof. Engineer: Cyril Windebank. In England Decca also issued this on 78s. My copy was pressed in the USA.

21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

It brings me out in a terrible rash.....
    Please keep it away from me....

:D

22. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

A flash never works well with shiny surfaces, which are most things you photograph. Maybe it's time to experiment on taking pictures without one?

royzak2000 likes this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

:agree: The numerical sequence for these label styles should correspond to the time when they were used but apparently they don't. It is totally confusing ...

25. coopmv

Old age sucks and I am sometime lazy at checking the comment before I post. I meant ... a little over 2 hours. I certainly hope I can keep doing this for a few more years ...