Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Based on his godly recordings of Liszt (Etudes and a recital), I figured he'd be excellent in Scriabin: I wasn't wrong! His is easily the best 7th Sonata I have heard. That he excels in such repertoire should not be too surprising since one of his teachers was Lazar Berman!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz and hvbias like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am fairly certain I will be selling the Kubelik Complete box, far too many underwhelming performances to the number of good performances so I might just buy this Mahler box. I do hope they keep the original LP album artwork, those were pretty nice.

I am excited to sample this :) Always up for hearing more exceptional Scriabin piano recordings!

ubertrout likes this.
  6. StarThrower62

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Oregon would probably be a better resettlement option. Cold I don't need.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is a great disc.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

I actually found it in the bargain bin at B & N. I love Schoenberg! I don't know why so many classical fans look down on his music? Schoenberg and Berg are tops in my book! I love dissonance and great serial composition.

bluemooze and Rose River Bear like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued in 1957 & made in Scranton, PA. Recorded 9/22-23/56, Abbey Road Studio No. 3. Producer: Alec Robertson. Engineer: Neville Boyling. Issued in the U.K. on Columbia. My copy has rather dull sound.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

My Wife even likes Schoenberg! She tells me what is happening in his music and I just nod my head. After all we are taliing about a person that brought a copy of the score of Gurrelieder to the recent concert we attended. o_O

bluemooze and StarThrower62 like this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 9/11-12/63 & 3/25-26/64, Prague. Producer: Miloslav Kuba. Engineer: Miloslav Kulhan. This information is from a 1978 Quintessence reissue of this album. There's a red stamp on the back of this for Blevins, The House of 10,000 Records in Florence, AL.

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm trying to listen to at least three of my unplayed classical LPs daily. I started in July & by next July I will have made quite a dent in the backlog. I had pretty much forgotten buying these, so every day it's like getting surprise presents from myself.
    This was recorded 10/27/52, Columbia 30th St. Studio, NYC. Issued 1953. My copy is a later pressing.

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 2 from "The Hilliard Ensemble - Ockeghem, Josquin Desprez, De La Rue & Lassus" on Virgin Classics.

Ockeghem - Missa Prolationum / Marian Motets

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Mr Bass, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

First listen to CD 1 from "Martha Argerich - Early Recordings" on DG.

Mozart - Sonata No. 18
    Beethoven - Sonata No. 7

Trivia - Cover image and inside photo are reversed, and back cover is missing a letter from her last name (web image only, not my CD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Do any vinyl listeners have the Richter Carnegie Hall Columbia albums on vinyl? I'm wondering how they sound on vinyl. I've been vocal about the Sony boxes for these having noise reduction/poor EQ. One of my friends gave me the Beethoven program, it was unfortunately in quite poor condition to gauge much about sound quality (additionally nearly all the Columbia vinyl from that era is never that quiet), I think it did sound better than the CDs.

Or are the HDTracks downloads any better?

18. bluemooze

First listen to CD 9 from "Annie Fischer - The Complete Piano Sonatas Of Ludwig Van Beethoven" on Hungarton.

Sonatas 25, 19, 26, 11 & 22

[​IMG]

warp2600, Soulpope, ibanez_ax and 4 others like this.
  19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think it's particularly useless to worry about what other people like or don't like in classical music since only 3% of music sales total are in that whole category. No classical music is listened to, or attended or bought by a significant segment of the music public. Be happy that there are many recordings of almost every critically recognized work of classical music.

I don't think the dissonance is the central issue as Schoenberg's or Berg's pre serial music* is about as dissonant as the serial music but more widely performed. I think it is more the nature of serial melody that inhibits acceptance.

* Note that Schoenberg's first real serial work was composed in the 1920s when he was 50 the Serenade Op24. Berg wrote very few serial works since he died only 10 years later. Even Webern wrote only half his works with serial methods starting with OP 17.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Strongly :agree:.

I keep my mouth shut even though there are works posted here and often by the same thread participants I do not like. We are all entitled to our likes or dislikes ...

21. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Nearing the end of the Szell Complete Columbia box set:
    [​IMG]
    Might be my favorite recording in the box set; incredible performance and sound. The 80 minute piece never dragged on like some other recordings I've heard

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    ibanez_ax, bluemooze, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm now about a third of the way through it, IMHO the best conductor themed box. Listened to Orchestral Highlights from The Ring earlier. Then Starker playing Schumann and Lalo Cello Concertos:

[​IMG]

And Pathetique, both Op. 14 and Op. 22 sonatas from the Lucchesini box. I'm playing them many times each so making my way through them is slower. Also listening to the Backhaus mono box from the beginning to coincide with the Lucchesini box to compare/contrast their interpretations.

[​IMG]

The Backhaus looks like it has a very detailed booklet unfortunately entirely in Japanese.

[​IMG]

23. ZiggyZipgun

ZiggyZipgun Camp Counselor

I'm not sure what recording I have (of Pines of Rome), but it's one of my favorites - of any music. I'm generally stuck on whatever performance I heard first if it's one of those pieces I like right away, and any other performance bothers me. I hope this isn't the case next March, since I just snapped up tickets to see the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra perform Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, and Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto. I'm sure part of my fascination comes down to the fact that 'Pines of the Janiculum' is the first known instance of sampling, but I really like that piece anyway because it has a hint of Debussy in there. That and Concerto Gregoriano have some sort of cerebral quality that I otherwise only find in Poulenc, Pink Floyd, and on a good day, Philip Glass. I would love to know if a copy of Pines of Rome had found its way into Rick Wright's record collection, and when. I also have a cd of Respighi's Piano Concerto in A minor, Toccata, and Fantasia Slava, which is quite good and has a Rachmaninoff vibe.

ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

Listening to CD 8 from "Beethoven Sonatas" performed by Emil Gilels on DG.

Sonatas 26, 26, 30 & 31

[​IMG]

25. bluemooze

Speaking of Annie Fischer, I listened to the whole Beethoven sonatas box. I love being able to hear what both hands are doing so clearly and distinctly. So glad for the recommendations. :)

warp2600 and hvbias like this.