Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are you referring to the following CD? I don't have it and have never heard it. Perhaps other thread participants have ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Old Zorki II like this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Yes, I am referring to this CD I have.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 16 from "Vaughan Williams - The Collector's Edition" on EMI.
    • Five Tudor Portraits
      • Bach Choir / New Philharmonia Orchestra - Sir David Wilcocks
    • Benedicite
      • Bach Choir / London Symphony Orchestra - Sir David Wilcocks
    • Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"
      • Jacques Orchestra - Sir David Wilcocks

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  4. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

5. bluemooze

Two things...

Sellers who list very high prices usually don't have the item in stock. The high price is to prevent anyone from actually ordering the item while the seller maintains their 'position' on whatever internal Amazon priority lists. They go down in the priority list if they don't have the item 'for sale.'

You have to stay current and buy things before they go OOP. Once they do, there is no secret internet place where they are still available.

Good luck. :)

6. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Schubert 5th and Mendelssohn 3rd, Hebrides Overture from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Be advised that US Amazon is squeezing out the small music sellers supposedly on piracy/bootleg grounds. I don't know if that will affect Amazon de/fr / uk or not. There have been threads about this over in the Marketplace Forum. Only large scale resellers are exempted.

Also US Amazon search function has become deranged. If you are looking for something specific it is best to have the ASIN.

8. coopmv

I have heard this tune before. Amazon is your business partner today but becomes a competitor down the road. I read somewhere WalMart threw down the gauntlet on its suppliers that if they want to continue to be WalMart suppliers, they cannot use AWS though it is not clear if this tie-in is illegal. Obviously, Google Clouds and Microsoft Azure would be more than happy to grab those business. IIRC, WalMart has inked a big deal with either Microsoft or Oracle to run its websites (probably including all its online subsidiaries like Jet.com).

Honestly, I hope the government will break up Google, Amazon and FB as it did with AT&T and almost broke up MS and IBM. Without those actions, Silicon Valley, Google and FB would not have been around today ...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    ClassicalCD and bluemooze like this.
  9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Ma Bell will look like a pipsqueak in comparison ...

10. coopmv

Ma Bell was quite powerful. Without the breakup of Ma Bell, Silicon Valley would not have existed today. Most of the pioneers in Silicon Valley were scientists or engineers at Bell Labs in NJ ...

11. bluemooze

Listening to CD 19 from "Aldo Ciccolini - Enregistrements EMI 1950-1991" on EMI.

Albeniz - Iberia
    Granados - Quejas o la maja y el ruisenor
    de Falla - Danse rituelle du feu / Danse de la meuniere

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. bluemooze

Well, famous last words and all that, but even though I'm about to turn on the tube equipment for its winter residency, I can honestly say that I could live happily with either of my two 70's receivers - they make my ears very happy. I'm actually pretty happy and content with my whole setup at this point, and haven't felt the urge for new equipment since I got the Prima Luna amp last year (and that was only due to its predecessor becoming ill.) :)

Daedalus and Eigenvector like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing CD11 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  14. coopmv

Now playing CD13 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There's always going to be rare stuff, I suppose. The Hungaraton stuff is interesting in that it's pretty recent and all over the internet, including lossless downloads from eClassical and elsewhere, but rare on CD - I'm guessing they printed very few CDs and planned mostly on digital distribution. But there's plenty of tricks - I suspect your best bet is simply to set up eBay/Amazon alerts and wait for something to pop up.

That said, my feeling is that less is rare now than ever before.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  16. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Hungaroton releases are simply amazing. They offer many previously unrecorded works in exquisite playing by period ensembles. I have several of them, though of course I'm missing many more. They're old but only now are beginning to disappear. It's a terrible shame, as I don't care for downloads or streaming.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Arne collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

Here is one that is no longer available on Amazon US at a reasonable price ...

[​IMG]

The following CD has long been OOP but I bought mine brand-new over 30 years ago ...

[​IMG]

It is quite rare to find Kocsis and Schiff in a piano duet ...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

My response would be simple. DG is always DG. You can never expect anything sonically.

ubertrout likes this.
  20. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Come on now, coopmv, you know deep down you want to do it...................
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

On a side note regarding equipment, I spent yesterday at the National Audio Show here in Warsaw. A really big show with all the top manufacturers represented. A fine assortment of great gear, cheap, expensive and VERY expensive, was on show.
    Naim showed off their flagship Statement amp (a snip at 120,000 UK pounds - I've ordered two, one for me and one for the missus) and, coopmv, you may be sad to hear it wasn't quite the best I heard at the show.

What I do find annoying though is the music that is played on the systems on show. I walk into a room and just know that they will be playing boring, monotonous pop (where the band seem to have forgotten what the original tune was), or 'twiddly-pee twiddly-po tinkle tinkle twiddly-pee twiddly-po tinkle tinkle' type of jazz music (nothing personal jazz fans - I'm sure you know the type of jazz I refer to)...... or Dire Straits :rolleyes: Practically no classical music was heard.
    It seems as if the dealers are trying to show off exactly how good the equipment is at making sounds, rather than their ability to play music......

I used to take some of my own CD's to the show for them to play. But that's not possible now, because the systems are nearly always vinyl or hard disc based. I suppose that means I am now officially a dinosaur ;)

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ditto. I love my old receivers-( rotate in when I give my new Yamaha a break).

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Well I finally cracked open the Karajan boat anchor of a box set-listening to various CDs in the 1960’s section( some Strauss , Mozart, etc) and looking forward to putting this into my current listening rotation along with Szell and others.

Runicen, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

NP: John Lanchbery conducting Swan Lake complete Ballet CFP
    Recorded by Christopher Parker, it is a typical quiet early digital recording on CD.
    After cranking up, it is very enjoyable listening.

[​IMG]

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Szell box.

[​IMG]

layman, bigstar87, ubertrout and 5 others like this.