Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture on Telarc

2. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Cyrus split from Mission in the 90's.

Edit . More net delving brought up this...

Formed in 1977, Mission Electronics' first product was their 770 loudspeaker and they continue to build loudspeakers to this day. They have also built other Hi-Fi products including CD players, amplifiers and tuners etc. under their own brand name "Mission" and from 1984 under the "Cyrus" brand name. In the 1990s, the Mission loudspeaker business was taken over by the Chinese owned International Audio Group (IAG), and the Cyrus Audio business became part of the NXT Plc group and then became a independent company in 2004.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:confused: I never said it wasn't Nimbus, I said that as far as I can remember I didn't like the sound quality:

5. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I do a lot of my listening at work off Spotify - I can't be bothered to lug in CDs or keep a library there. It's really just like listening to CDs, and the 320KBPS MP3 quality is entirely adequate for listening in a non-ideal environment with background noise. Just listen to one disc (equivalent) at a time, and multi-disc albums are grouped by disc.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thx @Wugged!

I went audio shopping with one of my sisters back in the mid 80's and picked up a pair of Mission speakers whose model number I do not recall. At any rate, thirty some years later, her hubby, who was in the musical instruments biz (sax, trumpet, etc.) with very sharp ears and is about to celebrate his 70th next month, continues to rave about the sound of these speakers and calling them the best speakers he has ever heard ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Hmm ;) ................. too much saxophone and trumpet can have this effect on people, especially when they reach 70. ;) That's why I try not to listen to such jazz too much......................... :hide:

Personally, I thought Mission speakers were dreadful - but they sold in their millions, so maybe I have cloth ears :D

8. bluemooze

First listen to CD 1 from "Beethoven: The Complete Piano Sonatas" performed by Mari Kodama on Pentatone.

Piano Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein"
    Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57 "Appassionata"
    Piano Sonata No. 26 in E-Flat Major, Op. 81a "Les adieux"

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  9. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - The Bagatelles
    Rudolf Buchbinder (Teldec 1977, Apex 2001)

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  10. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

More like the Youtube of audio streaming, as it offers only awful sounding lossy playback.

11. coopmv

The same could be said about the Volvo cars, they are Chinese. :)

12. coopmv

I wish I had bought some KEF's where they were still made in the UK ...

Whatever happened to Celestion?

13. coopmv

That will change soon. I have heard some artists may even release their new works on Spotify and bypassing the records companies ...

14. coopmv

I have Buchbinder's Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas box ...

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

Cloth ears for cloth tweeters! :biglaugh:

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Dunno. While I use Netflix for things video, I rarely ever use Spotify. Tidal ocassionally but mostly QUBOZ lately.

17. Kal Rubinson

And I am not understanding what you are saying here.

18. Kal Rubinson

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

To me the best complete set of Mr Ludwig’s nine sonatas by orchestra is of Sir George and his Chicago band on Decca from the 1970s.
    The UK vinyl box set is inexpensive and sounds incredible. The performances are still top notch and just exemplary for sure.

And I located the 1980s CD box at last after a very long search. I am really satisfied with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  20. bluemooze

Listening to "Brahms - Sonata No. 2 & Sonatensatz / Franck - Sonata in A" performed by Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg and Cecile Licad on EMI.

[​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As was mentioned a while ago French company Vivendi is going to sell up to 50% of its Universal Music Group, which owns more record labels than any other major music group. I wonder who is going to bite, and what will happen to (some of) the labels if the deal is approved by the European Commission and its US counterpart. Rumour has it that EMI (at least the part that is now owned by Universal) will be sold again, but, as I said, it's just a rumour.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/universal-music-group-third-quarter-sale-talks-heat-up-1203029721/

bluemooze likes this.
  22. coopmv

Some American hedge fund or private equity firm?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I hope not, after what they did when they owned EMI (the whole company) - though it might not be a bad thing if UMG is broken up. Maybe the Philips label will be resurrected… One can dream ;)

24. coopmv

I hope this would not happen as well, as private equity firms have a terrible track records of destroying many companies, not only EMI ...

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Just let me sink into senility with my music playing, at least until my hearing goes.

bluemooze likes this.