Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

We can definitely state.... @Coop is a fan of Bach! Impressive to say the least...:tiphat:

bluemooze likes this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

They look identical! Great stuff.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Bach is the best composer in history to be sure ...

4. DeepFloyd11

One of the greatest for sure....and in my top ten always....:love:

Here's another universal genius....I apologize for the bad photo..should take another at some point.

On the TT..:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  5. coopmv

The best conductor for the second half of the 20th century for sure and may still be the best for the next half century ...

bluemooze likes this.
  6. DeepFloyd11

if you don't mind me asking....why do you dislike Apple products? Their players are quite reliable. I have used my iPod Nano 2nd generation since 2008 and it's still going!! Even once run it over with a pick up truck and it survived - very sturdy.

Eigenvector likes this.
  7. DeepFloyd11

Overall I prefer Sutherland. Maria Callas was very talented though and has in some arias an emotional depth rarely found in other singers.
    There was an aura or something magical surrounding her. Just like Caruso for example, she was probably not technically perfect and sometimes took her voice to the limit and beyond her vocal range....but there is something in her voice one can't find in other singers.
    Ms. Sutherland knew how to use her voice, train it, guard it.... extremely technically proficient - that's why even in old age her voice was surprisingly beautiful and she could pull it off anytime to sing live while thrilling and amazing the audience.

But you know, as well as I, it's finally a matter of personal taste. I can't state superlatives that often - and in this case I do love and admire both singers, though I most definitely listen far more often to Sutherland - even look her up on YT to see her perform.

Here's an example....she was almost 60 years old - live at the Met. Pretty phenomenal. 4 curtain calls.....they all wanted a da capo....I love her high notes - they never ever bother me like others (I want to tell most singers to shut the hell up!!!! bunch of canto-maniacs. )

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  8. DeepFloyd11

Sorry couldn't help it, don't know why I thought of the big shark and here it is! It would fit lengthwise in my living room, just as I mentioned earlier:biglaugh::crazy:. What an astounding creature, she seems so calm and she lives around Guadalupe Island in the Pacific off the coast of Mexico. There. I officially adopted her and granted her citizenship.
    What would one listen to while in the water observing Deep Blue (that's what they named her) gliding by. I think I would go with La Mer - or maybe the Bolero?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

I never care much for Apple products cuz they are way overpriced ...

David Ellis likes this.
  10. coopmv

I read somewhere that Kirsten Flagstad pretty much maintained her voice till very late in her life as well.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  11. coopmv

Nice! :righton:
    Hopefully, her fins will not be included in the shark-fin soup at some Chinese banquet ...

12. DeepFloyd11

On the TT...while cooking. This I found sealed.

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

There is a few options. Seems OK price for me...considering how much smart phones cost. The 64 GB is 299 and the 128 GB 399. That's a lot of music storage!

iPod - Compare Models

14. coopmv

I have a Nokia 920 that still has 26 GB left in memory but I do not like to play music on my phone, which I only use for calls and text messaging ...

I may go for Astell&Kern AK Jr, which is priced similar to a 64 GB iPod but has 64 GB internal flash memory, a metal body and accepts all kinds of audio file formats, accepting 256GB microSD Card Slot, etc.

[​IMG]

Bachtoven and David Ellis like this.
  15. coopmv

Looks like you are a huge fan of Eugene Ormandy ... :agree:

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

For every PC I've ever purchased, similarly spec'd Apples were twice the price.

And how about non-replaceable batteries in Apple products? :thumbsdow

David Ellis likes this.
  17. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Working my way through the chamber recordings in the Rubinstein complete album collection this week.

Mik, David Ellis, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  18. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Same here! I'm not an Apple fanboy but I own a couple of different model iPods and every one works as they did on day one. Except for a gen 5 Nano I accidentally drowned but that was my fault. I've thrown away a couple cheapies by another brand that only lasted a couple of months. The iPods were more expensive but they still work..... Unlike the other players.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  19. coopmv

The MacBook may cost three times as much as a similarly spec'd Windows laptop ...

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Three first-rate soloists! :righton:

bigstar87 likes this.
  21. coopmv

The Creative Zen Xtra is actually the only MP3 player I have ever owned and I bought it 15 years ago. Just check an hour ago and it looks to be working fine after it was recharged. The player can only handle MP3 and WMA. I am hoping to move into lossless sound so FLAC format is what I want to shoot for down the road ...

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Naxos is rereleasing them on Naxos, with photos instead of paintings. The photos are of Budapest I assume. This disc will probably be the next on. They've released symphonies 1-7, one or two symphonies per disc with other orchestra works to fill it out. I have a couple of them and they are really good.

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  23. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

15 years is impressive! Longer than my iPods! Glad it is sill working and you don't have to deal with replacing it! I don't know what I'd do without a portable player. That's why I have 5 of them.:D

24. coopmv

Well, the downside is my player only handles MP3 and WMA formats and the latter is not that much better than MP3. But then I really should not expect that much from a 15-year old MP3 player ...

My MP3 player was actually made in Malaysia and Creative Labs was a Singaporean company, though I do not know if this is still the case.

25. DeepFloyd11

Agree 100 %.
    I drowned my husband's brand new iPod Nano a few years ago while doing hand-washed laundry. It was in his shirt pocket. Thankfully I noticed right away and it was turned off. I put it upside down in a container I filled with rice and salt and let it dry for a week or so. It's still alive and still used.