Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I think that set has the only complete CD release of the 'Nevells Booke' original vinyl release. :)

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It might not be in your Baroque Box because this music is borderline classical, composed (or published) in 1756. I've always understood the Baroque period to end with the death of J.S. Bach (1750), although certainly there are works that straddle the Baroque and Classical line--like this one--and could go either way. Technically, it could be considered Rococo, and perhaps that's where the planner of your Baroque Box decided to draw the line.

Anyway, yes, it's worth hunting down.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If I remember correctly there was a l'Oiseau-Lyre CD-set with the complete Nevells. Probably long OOP.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There are some who don't consider Arne's work "classical music" at all. But I see what you mean :)

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

I didn't think of checking the Classical Box because I know that the first CD in the Baroque Box is the Arne Overtures. However, that doesn't exclude the possibility of him appearing in both boxes. :)

Wes H likes this.
  6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

And with that last advisory in mind... it might be worth noting that Arne composed the popular English folk song "A-Hunting We Will Go."
    (Do I hear a groan?) :hide:

7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

You recall correctly (I have one). Issued once in the mid-1990's, and long gone. A pity, too, since it was Hogwood at his keyboard best. Even if you don't need 12 CD's of Purcell, l'Oiseau Lyre's 'English Music' box is worth the price of admission just for this (the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book set is just a bonus! But it is available separately, via Decca Eloquence)

Damn, but I miss Chris Hogwood.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. sherrill50

I think we need to cut Mr. Arne some slack. He wrote many beautiful instrumental works (Sonatas, Overtures, ensemble pieces), but I suspect it was all of his music-hall stuff (including 'operas') that kept food on the table.

I think that there are more than a few modern-day composers who write music for film and/or television that would feel his pain.

McLover, David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He made some great recordings with his AAM.

bluemooze and sherrill50 like this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

What I wrote was not intended as a slam against Arne. I was pointing out the (humorous) irony of Bluemooze going hunting for music by the man who wrote the most famous hunting tune of all time. (The "groan" being directed at me for the play on words.)

McLover and bluemooze like this.
  11. sherrill50

No worries, I didn't take it as a slam. I was being facetious myself, but unfortunately things like that don't translate well nonverbally. Alas. We all love Mr. Arne!

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Indeed. I wish I had more of his music... but on my shelf between an album of "Six Lessons for Viola d'amore" by Attilio Ariosti and the beginning of my J.S. Bach collection, I only have a single album that is devoted entirely to Thomas Arne (the "Eight Harpsichord Sonatas"). Otherwise, his works appear sporadically in "collections" albums of English music-- grossly underrepresented.

bluemooze and sherrill50 like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

You are misinformed, sir. That little ditty was in fact written by one E. Fudd.

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Wight you are!

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Supposedly both recorded on 11/2/53 at Columbia's 30th St. Studio, NYC.

McLover, DeepFloyd11, crispi and 3 others like this.
  16. bluemooze

:righton:

17. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, from this set: Vol.II, with Piano Sonatas 5-7, Op.10/1-3; 8, Op.13. Recorded at the same venue, in 2004.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

That's the only one you'll need, imo.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. sherrill50

Overcast and damp hereabouts (Seattle area) this morning. Perfect for some Fretwork!

[​IMG]

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Giving this one another listen. Hdtracks download, 96/24 stereo.

[​IMG]

scompton and bluemooze like this.
  23. bluemooze

First listen to "Cansonanze Stravaganti - Venetian & Neapolitan Music for Consort of Viols" performed by L'Amoroso led by Guido Balestracci on Symphonia.

[​IMG]

sherrill50 likes this.
  24. sherrill50

Just wondering if anyone (besides me, that is) remembers this album from 1973: Bhajebochstiannanas by Anthony Newman. Classical fans will remember Newman I think, as he has a large and wide-ranging discography. The unwieldy title is an anagram of 'Johann Sebastian Bach'. The performances include a number of Bach's harpsichord and organ works, a couple of contemporary pieces by Newman (inspired by Bach?), one of which has performing support on percussion by John Corigliano. The gem for me though is a pop/classical hybrid, a reimagining of Francois Couperin's Les Barricades Mystérieuses, which includes a vocal by Celia Pryor. Fascinating stuff, but probably not for the faint-hearted!

Though I keep hoping, this has never been issued on CD. I lost the LP copy I had as a youngster somewhere along the way, so may have to track down a used copy - to say nothing of a turntable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1. Symphonies 1 & 2. My favorite 2nd. Late 70s DG sound should have been better. A bit harsh.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11, crispi and bluemooze like this.