Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Completely agree with everything you said here, IME as far as mastering went for original records it was the audiophile favorites like Living Stereo (kept all my Heifetz shaded and white dogs that used shaded dog stampers) and Mercury, some UK EMI were the ones that sounded just as good or better than reissues. Otherwise give me the quieter, fuller sounding reissues for nearly every other label.

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hahaha....not me! My husband does. He has everything and more. I practically live in a music store.... :help:

Eigenvector and David Ellis like this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It appears we've come to a consensus here (and a logical one) that if the end result is pleasing--and especially if it is an improvement--then the process employed may be interesting, but inconsequential.

Some mastering engineers can do wonders with crude tools; others will use the latest & greatest and still screw it up. I think that who worked on it is more important than what was used.

I'm also very grateful to those of you who have bought these reissues and reported your results here. I know they are not cheap, so your opinions are highly valued! :righton:

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Time to bring in Herr Kempff for some late night Beethoven.

[​IMG]

6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I have the cd version and love it .

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Spotify, "Sacrum Mysterium: Celtic Christmas Vespers" performed by Apollo's Fire led by Jeannette Sorrell on AVIE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacline likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Mahler's Fourth - Czech Philharmonic, Ridi conductor (Supraphone) recorded in 1980
    Magdaléna Hájaóssyová soprano

NP Brahms Violin Concerto LSO, Dorati conducting, Henryk Szeryng violin ( Living Presence Stereo 35 mm magnetic film recording maroon label
    Sublime.

Wes H, DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  9. bluemooze

I go by what I hear and if I like it I don't care why. I'm happy that the world of recording engineering has learned how to do a much better job with modern technology over the last 25 years. I never let the technical details of a great sounding recording/mastering/manufacture stand in the way of enjoying how it sounds.

I also think that something is either all-analog or it ain't. Just as a matter of honesty. I might enjoy how it sounds but I don't like being lied to. :)

10. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Wagner - Das Rheingold" performed by Staatskapelle Dresden led by Marek Janowski on Eurodisc.

(from cdandlp)...
    Nibelungen:
    Alberich - Siegmund Nimsgern
    Mime - Christian Vogel
    Riesen:
    Fasold - Roland Bracht
    Fafner - Matti Salminen
    Göttinnen:
    Fricka - Yvonne Minton
    Freia - Marita Napier
    Erda - Ortrun Wenkel
    Rheintöchter:
    Woglinde - Lucia Popp
    Wellgunde - Uta Priew
    Flosshilde - Hanna Schwarz

[​IMG]

Jacline, Eigenvector and David Ellis like this.
  11. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the DG Originals Vol. 1 box set:
    [​IMG]
    I also own his Mercury Living Presence version of the 9th, which is much faster paced then this account. Really enjoyed the first rate sound (which isn't always the case with DG)

12. ShallowMemory

That was my introduction to Dvorak's Ninth on lp although it took tween pester power to get it and do own his complete cycle on cd these days. Macal's recording of the ninth on EMI-Classics for pleasure is one worth hearing too.

bigstar87, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Bruckner - Symphony No. 1" performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker led by Herbert Von Karajan on DG.

[​IMG]

14. ShallowMemory

Firebird suite, the Rite of Spring and Jeu de cartes 1975 /1987 Dg Galleria
    Lso cond. Claudio Abbado
    Favourites of the 'second wave' of cds when we decided paying around $18 for just over half an hour's music on disc was too much especially when the recording regardless of quality had been around for a good period and to which as those Galleria discs with their artwork covers came out I stocked up on on my baby steps into establishing a classical cd collection.
    One reason for playing has to do with the introduction of the Firebird which is very good test for low level digital distortion of which early players did suffer from with an out of focus sound and still is potentially an issue with regular 16/44.1 discs. Ones Marantz sacd player handled this very well easily the best of many players I've had even if a well recorded and mastered sacd takes things to another level.
    About the performances, Abbado's work in London was amongst his finest and these remain terrific performances with subtlety when needed and fireworks when not.
    I do have a soft spot for the Dg/ now PentaTone Boston S.O with Michael Tilson-Thomas performance on sacd btw that does give you four channels too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I agree! Some of my favourite interpretations of these Stravinsky pieces. By the way, my favourite sound is the "Original-Bit"-whatever remasters from the mid-90s that came out on 2-CD. I even prefer them to the SHM-SACD, which sounds more open and "audiophile"-like but lacks some of the string midrange heft. Plus, the 2-CD set contains more music.

Funnily, I have your Galleria pressing on LP (minus Jeu de cartes). It contains a whopping 33 minutes of music on side B, but still manages to sound fine:

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

17. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Now on the CDP--

Johannes Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem
    Katharine Fuge, soprano
    Matthew Brook, baritone
    The Monteverdi Choir
    Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique/John Eliot Gardiner

[​IMG]

18. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Brahms - Symphony No. 1" performed by The London Symphony Orchestra led by Jascha Horenstein on Quintessence.

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, royzak2000 and 3 others like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

:love:

This is definitely on my want-list to add to my collection. I need to find it on Discogs, because I doubt I will find it in Recordland that is now quite depleted.

Wes H, Eigenvector and ShallowMemory like this.
  20. ShallowMemory

Totally random letter day from yesterday:
    Beethoven: Overtures RCA 2015 sacd
    Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen cond. Paavo Jarvi
    Recorded by the people who do PentaTones new recordings this may be 'only' 51 minutes but it's a excellent set performances that be found cheaply.

Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto +2 other works 2006 PentaTone stereo/surround sound sacd PTC 5186 095
    Russian National Orchestra cond Yakov Kreizberg (also plays piano on the Souvenir d'un lieu cher Op.42) with Julia Fischer on violin.
    The playing has a very much Russian tonal palate which is both different and in some respects perhaps more appropriate than what we're used to which serves the music well being warm, sensuous in its feel that Ms Fisher's playing just moves in and out of as a whole, not dominating.
    The recording quality is really good in the way whatever one might think of A-S Mutters 1988 Salzburg recording when it comes to her playing (nothing really special imho) that suffers from a harsh glaze over which does the violin no favours at all.
    A great buy.

[Todays post was brought to you by the letter M for Mould and T for tires :laugh: ]

Wes H, ubertrout and Eigenvector like this.
  21. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

from earlier this morning--

J. S. Bach
    : 'Ihr werdet weinen und heulen' BWV 103

[​IMG]

22. DeepFloyd11

Good morning and happy Friday! On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

23. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6" performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra led by Eugene Ormandy on CBS Great Performances.

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, David Ellis and 3 others like this.
  24. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, Bachtoven and 6 others like this.
  25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member