Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

NP CD1- Quartets 1, 2 and F major
    [​IMG]
    Sounding pretty wonderful to this layman.

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

A good 'un but I prefer this:
    [​IMG]

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Run to the hills all HIP sorts!
    Mozart, W.A Eine kleine Nachtmusik KV 525, Serenata notturna in D minor KV 239 + divertmentos KV 136,137&138 1966/8 1990 DG Mozart Masterpieces 429 805-2
    Berlin Philharmonic cond (or 'bigged up' by) Herbert von Karajan
    A 1991 buy. This is probably as big band, thick as treacle Mozart as you get, I mean even Bohm with the V.P.O had a lighter touch in the 70's even if the woodwind is a delight to listen to in these performances recorded in a somewhat reverberating venue which detracts a bit at times.
    Sometimes I just love the opulence of it although it's good there are more stripped down alternatives

bluemooze likes this.
  4. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Interesting. The only time I have listened to that I found that Szeryng sounded uncharacteristically "scratchy". Maybe it's the way it was recorded. I don't have another favourite for that concerto, though.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ivan Moravec - Chopin Scherzi, Etudes, Mazurkas (Supraphone) cd
    I love the touch he has on the keys. In my admitted limited experience he is one of my favorite classical pianists.

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

7. dmleman

dmleman Forum Resident

2017 Gramophone Award - Orchestral on Spotify Premium

[​IMG]

8. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

All this running to the hills sure keeps me in peak physical condition

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    David Ellis and ShallowMemory like this.
  9. ShallowMemory

S for Schubert, Franz
    Piano quintet in A posth 114 D667 (aka "Trout") 2009 PentaTone stereo/surround sound sacd PTC 5186 334
    Performed by Martin Helmchen, Christian Tetzlaff, Antoine Tamesit, Marie-Elisabeth Hecker, Alois Posch and Aldo Baerten
    Coupled with the Variations on "Trockne Blumen"- "Notturno" this is a hugely enjoyable set of performances upto PentaTones usual very high standards

10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

11. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73
    Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique/John Eliot Gardiner

[​IMG]

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't heard that one.

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Run for the hills? Too late for me. I bought Karajan's "Big Band" Eine Kleine Nachtmusik on LP long ago. Unless you have some re-recording of it (and Karajan was notorious for re-recording everything possible), then your Karajan rendition of the KV 525 might be the same as mine-- from 1966-- sans the load of additional Divertimentos in your set.

[​IMG]

DG's liner notes on the back explain (almost apologetically) the reasoning behind the size of the orchestra used:

"Mozart conceived this work as a string quintet for two violins, viola, cello and double bass; Herbert von Karajan follows the normal practice of employing a full body of strings, but he achieves a remarkable transparency of string tone perfectly suited to the intimate nature of this composition."

Hmm. Well, that said, he does push the Berliners rapidly through the first movement and it comes off quite well. The second movement is okay, though taking all the repeats makes it seem interminable. In the third & fourth movements, however, Karajan paces & paints things a little too slow & sluggish where it should be light & sparkly. Ah, well... if you're in the mood for heavy, here it is. ;)

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah, Moravec... You've inspired me to reach for this 1984 Nonesuch LP of Schumann and Brahms:

[​IMG]

Perfect for this Friday afternoon. :righton:

17. ShallowMemory

Well, I'd say that's it but in the Mozart Masterpieces fairly plain cover, Wes, and the last two movement are a bit sluggish even though I'm more for modern instruments but in smaller groups for works like that.

Wes H likes this.
  18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium. The original version of the 4th. I have to say, it fits the chamber orchestra scenario well, even though I prefer the revised version. Julius Cesar Overture and Scenes from Goethe's Faust arranged for orchestra.

[​IMG]

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Never seen that before: "By cutting down only the cost of the sleeve..."
    Just the lack of the artwork?

ShallowMemory and royzak2000 like this.
  22. ShallowMemory

I've a hazy recollection of that series would of been late 70's, early 80's being talked about in the context of what would of been the best value (classical) records.

Wes H likes this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Finished listening to these today. I've been buying more than I can reasonably listen to--need to slow down a bit. (Oh my word, did I actually just type that??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]