Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

P. Tchaikovsky: Symphony 4. vKarajan, Berlin Phil. EMI Columbia German white gold.

Tchaikovsky everywhere on LTCMAC. I prefer HvK's Tchaikovsky from the late 50s to the early 70s if only for the better sonics. His interpretations didn't vary much. As Ibanez notes late 70s DG sonics were often thin and hard.

[​IMG]

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I never heard his EMI 4th. I always liked his EMI 5th and 6th better than his later DGs. I had the 6th on Mobile Fidelity vinyl years ago.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Licorice pizza and Mr Bass like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Occasionally I will pull a disc from my Glenn Gould box at random. This time I ran up against my, er, limitations: Hindemith's Complete Sonatas for Brass and Piano. Have to admit I really didn't get it.

bluemooze and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. Mr Bass

A lot of Hindemith's solo or sonata music was written for musicians to have more challenging study music. He termed it Gebrauchmusik. Sometimes musicians forget that their study music is not necessarily our favorite listening music. He was not very fluent melodically speaking although his pieces have good energy. The only work I have is Der Schwanendreher (Swan turner) which is a concerto for viola and orchestra based on folk tunes.

David*M, bluemooze and Licorice pizza like this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I am burned out on the Tchaikovsky symphonies, but never tire of his ballet music.

6. Mr Bass

The only ones I can't listen to anymore are Sym 1 and 5. It's a funny thing because I usually am not a great fan of bombastic brassy music but I can listen to the Violin Concerto and these old warhorses or at least 4 of them quite frequently. Of course the ballet music is fine too.

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The 2nd, 4th and Manfred are the ones I listen to most nowadays.

8. Mr Bass

I like the 2nd and 4th myself. The 2nd and 3rd are not easy to perform successfully so I have fewer versions of those I listen to. I have 5 LPs each for 4 and 6 though.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Rhythmically, I can see where the 2nd would be difficult, especially the 2nd movement.

bluemooze, Licorice pizza and Mr Bass like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 6/27-28/59 in the Sofiensaal, Vienna. Issued 5/60. Producer: Ray Minshull. Engineer: Gordon Parry. Issued in stereo as London CS 6156. This is from an era where the Decca files listed mono & stereo production teams; the stereo version is credited to producer Erik Smith & engineer James Brown. My copy has a price of $4.98 written in pencil on the back, as well as "7/24/71 cat" in what seems to be a different hand.

DeepFloyd11, Marzz, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  11. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Happy 332nd birthday, Johann Sebastian Bach.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry, that's a new one to me. :targettiphat:

13. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

14. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Palestrina Masses - Missa Nigra sum" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H and sherrill50 like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Actually I meant the 3rd movement. That is one bouncy scherzo.

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Sometimes the magazine come with a nice CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H, Casagrande and 2 others like this.
  17. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Christopher Hogwood - Keyboard Music" on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Works by John Bull, Peter Philips, Giles Farnaby, Edward Johnson, William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons, C. P. E. Bach and Thomas Arne.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H and sherrill50 like this.
  18. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Elgar - Introduction and Allegro, Serenade, Elegy/Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia, Greensleeves Fantasia" performed by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on DG.

[​IMG]

Mik, David Ellis, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  19. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I certainly wish that Decca would reissue this one on CD. I think it's the only bit of Hogwood's oeuvure that hasn't made the jump to digital. :cry:

Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  20. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

I have just been listening to Bruckner's Ninth symphony. The Klemperer and Sinopoli recordings today. It was in readiness for a concert by the London Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall tonight. Unfortunately, due to the terrorist incident in London today the concert has been cancelled. Condolences to the family And friends of people who have been hurt and possibly killed.
    It puts our love of music into perspective.

David Ellis, Wes H and Adam9 like this.
  21. bluemooze

:)

22. bluemooze

First listen to "Musica per Arpa" performed by Katerina Englichova on Supraphon.

Featuring: Martin Kasik (piano), Vilem Veverka (oboe), and Carol Wincenc (flute)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I just went ahead and submitted a request to Decca/Eloquence, via Eloquence's facebook page, to have this issued on compact disc. You never know. A couple of years ago I asked them to issue Hogwood's Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, and it showed up about 8 months later. Not sure if it was my request that did it or not, but I was thrilled anyway!

Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

Very good! :edthumbs:

25. bluemooze

I'm not listening to this at the moment, but just giving an example of a 4-CD Eloquence release that's not included in the Medieval & Renaissance box. I've never seen a vinyl version of this. :)

"Musicke Of Sundrie Kindes - An Introduction to Renaissance Secular Music 1480-1620" performed by The Consort Of Musicke directed by Anthony Rooley on Decca Eloquence.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    John York Skinner - countertenor
    Kevin Smith - countertenor
    Martyn Hill - tenor
    Paul Elliot - tenor
    David Thomas - bass

[​IMG]

JL6161, Marzz and sherrill50 like this.