Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

There’s a Brahms concerto of his in the Decca MONO box as well, recorded exactly 10 years earlier (1954):

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, Eigenvector and 4 others like this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

IIRC Geza Anda never played in the US. That could dampen name recognition. I no friends other than online who are American and like classical music so I really don’t know how well known he is. I did hear about him early on for his Bartok concertos.

3. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

This performance is available on a Testament CD which I must get round to buying (it also includes a Mozart Concerto).
    I only have his version of Brahms with Karajan.

4. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Now Playing, from "Claudio Abbado - The Complete RCA and Sony Album Collection"

Abbado & the Berliner Philharmoniker playing Mozart:
    • Symphony #23
    • Sinfonia concertante for Violin, Viola and Orchestra
    • Symphony #36
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wes H, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Quick listen during my break, Poulenc Concerto for Two Pianos (Argerich and Gurning)

[​IMG]

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's also included in the Carl Schuricht Complete Decca Recordings 10CD-box.

crispi and Wugged like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

8. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Again. ...100 % agree with you. I have always been a huge fan of all you mention and never stopped listening to them ever since I was a kid. Weissenberg and Anda in particular!

At work right now, so I can't expand on the matter, bu notable examples are also Szeryng, Cziffra and Vasary ....also not that 'famous' or popular any more....even though they were in my opinion simply amazing and certainly had significant careers ...:love:

Wes H, crispi and bluemooze like this.
  9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

There was a Cziffra Liszt box on French EMI

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now on the turntable, "Cristobal De Morales - Magnificat/Motetten/Motets" performed by Pro Cantione Antiqua, London led by Bruno Turner on Archiv.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now on the turntable, "Schubert - Symphonies Nos. 3 & 5" performed by the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields led by Neville Marriner on Philips.

[​IMG]

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Thee was a complete recordings box from French EMI that I regret not buying.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Mercury Living Presence box. These Mercury CDs are among the best sounding I own; hard to believe a lot of these recordings are from 50 years ago or more.

[​IMG]

dmleman, Mowgli, bigstar87 and 6 others like this.
  14. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Cziffra was the subject of a wonderful box on French EMI that collected everything he recorded for the label. That's the lion's share of his output.

Weissenberg isn't well-known to today's audiences. Probably the only reason I learned about him was a strong recommendation on the Google classical music board as well as from someone at a record store. But Weissenberg has been the subject of a number of boxes that collect many of his recordings. There's the Champagne Pianist (EMI), Complete RCA Collection, DG Recordings, and an Introuvables collection. There are also reissues of his EMI recordings of Bach and Chopin, both of which are highly recommended. I'm not sure how much is left to reissue among the major labels. There are other reissues of early work on Doremi and live recordings on varied labels.

There's also a website devoted to him that includes a page with obscure recordings. There's some really interesting stuff there. Go to Alexis Weissenberg Archive | A work in progress

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Holy cow! I found the first Mercury Living Presence box new for $90.00 on eBay! :pineapple::bdance::goodie:

[​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Jaw-dropping playing but rather distant sound.

[​IMG]

dmleman, Mowgli, DeepFloyd11 and 2 others like this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Critic Jeff Distler reviewed the Cziffra box for ClassicsToday: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-14590/?search=1 Distler is one of the few reviewers whose ears I trust.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 3. Symphonies 3 & 4.

[​IMG]

dmleman, ShallowMemory, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A gripping performance captured in excellent sound.

[​IMG]

dmleman, Mowgli, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Asking price, I don't think anybody will actually pay that kind of money. Amazon France has the lowest price, 310 euros for a used copy. Still way overpriced.

Maybe Warner Classics, who now own EMI Classics, will reissue the French EMI pianist boxes that are now OOP, using the generally good French masterings.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  24. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Agreed! I love these boxes for both performances and sound quality!!

[​IMG]

dmleman, Mowgli, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

On my late day walk/jog, I listened to the following CD from my Berlioz collection ...

[​IMG]