Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Of course, it's streaming on Spotify: Chopin: Piano Works

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

3. bluemooze

Now listening to "Mompou - Silent Music" performed by Jenny Lin on Steinway & Sons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dmleman likes this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Played Cossi Fan Tutte disc 1 last night while reading
    CFT disc 2 with my AM coffee
    Cranked The Hip ~ Live Between Us in the car
    needle dropped 3Dog Night ~ Naturally LP
    CFT disc 3 when I needed a nap (it worked)
    Zappa's Stevie's Spanking from YT just now
    Ordered Gulda's LvB Sonata box for $30/shipped from Amazon.de (it dropped from advertised 25EU to 21EU when ordering)
    Disc 4 from Arrau's LvB Sonata box spinning up in about 10 minutes to read before bed
    EDIT - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000BQV52A - why does it convert .de to .com? just convert it back in the address bar :tiphat:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    dmleman, Eigenvector and andolink like this.
  5. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

6. bluemooze

Now listening to "Vivaldi - 6 Violin Concertos Op. 12" performed by Pavlo Beznosiuk with The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Mowgli, dmleman and 4 others like this.
  7. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 2 from "Chopin - Works for Solo Piano" performed by Martha Argerich on DG.
    • 24 Preludes
    • Prelude Op. 45
    • Prelude in A-flat major Op. Post.
    • Grande Polonaise brillante
    • Polonaise No. 6
    • Polonaise-Fantasie Op. 61
    • 3 Mazurkas Op. 59

[​IMG]

Marzz, Mowgli, dmleman and 3 others like this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Chopin • Nocturnes • Arrau
    Purchased yesterday. Probably my favourite set of Nocturnes

Mowgli, dmleman, DeepFloyd11 and 4 others like this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Lads and ladies, if you allow me, I would like to be a little bit critical towards this thread. For a thread titled “Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation” I feel there isn't really much conversation going on here. Initially I thought I understood what @bluemooze envisioned for this thread: a place where one could discuss classical music and use that as a springboard for veering off into adjacent subjects that aren't necessarily classical, but relate to it in some way or another. Or at least things that pop into our minds while listening to this music.

But right now it seems that it's just an endless stream of "listening to now" posts. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there are countless other threads doing just the very same thing. And don't get me wrong, I know I've been guilty for it myself, case in point: my last post. But I must say, I find this kind of thing highly unsatisfactory. Sure, it keeps the thread moving at a frenetic pace, but what's the advantage of that? On the other hand, posts that actually try to start a conversation, don't get much response and everyone just continues doing their thing and posting about it, like in a bubble of their own.

I have tried several times to start a conversation, by posting more than just a few words about a recording I'm hearing, or trying to start a discussion about a performer in general, a book on classical music, or anything else related. In my Karajan Beethoven boxset post I tried to find out some background information about the recording and compile it for you. I think many enjoyed that post — and I still think this kind of thing should be the norm, rather than the exception. But it takes some effort.

Maybe I'm alone in this and most people prefer to just quickly google the image of the album they just happen to be listening to on Spotify, without any other information about it, not even whether they like it or not. But I fail to see how this is in any way a conversation... @DeepFloyd11 's "evil twin" posts for instance, I feel that those are like a conversation, because she actually relates to somebody else when doing that. But, I'm sorry to say, posting random albums and not saying a word about them is not conversation.

I'm saying this because I feel this forum still lacks a place where one can just have a meaningful conversation about classical (and around it) without being flooded with "listening to now" posts. The old thread is like this, too, and right now I fail to see what the new one is trying to make different, apart from being able to talk about cars from time to time. :wave:

hvbias, Mowgli, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

A peaceful, crisp October morning. I'm playing Beethoven Quartets, Op. 18, Nos. 2 & 5.
    Recorded in La Chaux-de-Fonds, October 1973, and handsomely performed by Quatuor Végh.
    Released on the French label, Valois, in 1974.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, dmleman, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  12. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

I recommend Culshaw's book "Putting the Record Straight" as well. Loads of information.

vanhooserd, bluemooze and crispi like this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

I absolutely love his interpretations. Been a fan for a very long time. Besides we share the same birthday I found out in this age of internet....:love:

On the TT....

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Mowgli, dmleman and 3 others like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I somewhat agree. I just finished listening to one of Serkin's Beethoven sonatas CDs. Honestly, I don't think I can add to what's already been said about it. I try, when I can find it, to link to some biographical information, or a review of lesser-known composers that I listen to.

I am not a natural writer, so I don't articulate my thoughts on music, etc. as well as others, although I do on occasion.

I probably also spend less time here than most of the "regulars".

15. DeepFloyd11

I use Spotify's free version all the time when I am doing household chores in other areas of the apartment. Stream via my tablet to a boombox I can carry with me.
    But 90 % of the time it's rock, jazz or pop music I stream that way,

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I was actually referring to the paid version of Spotify, which I do not use, not even the free version.

Good morning and TGIF!

17. DeepFloyd11

:righton::righton::righton::wave:

Don't forget @Wes H also posts often very informative posts about his albums. There are a few thread posters who do it from time to time as well....so that definitely makes this a much better place than the 'other thread' - that is probably one of the most boring :eek::yikes: ones I have ever seen.

Thank you for mentioning me and my evil twins....I have always been a very communicative person throughout my life and love to know more about you guys and gals - sharing information and experiences on this network, in a fun but respectful way, is much more satisfying than just posting photos. I've stated that in various comments - just recently a lengthy and passionate one in response to a member who criticized the car photos because 'we should stick to strictly classical music topics'.

I still believe this is and should be essentially about classical music, but it doesn't it hurt it at all to mention other things sporadically. That doesn't mean we should start a lengthy discussion about the music catalog of ABBA or Elton John - but for instance I wouldn't mind to know what the regulars here listen to besides classical, or what other hobbies you have, where you like to travel to ( or why you don't ) just because little by little we know a bit more about one another . That totally enriches the experience, for me at least. If the posts on this thread wouldn't be about some kind of interaction - well then I would just spend all my ' at home' free time listening to my LPs or my husband's music and reading a book.

As for those who mention that they are not as articulate when writing - this thread is not about an exercise in writing proficiency. One can say an opinion or like/dislike in very simple words and still make the post a tad more personal and interesting. We all have our own tastes, perceptions, emotional responses to music - no matter if we are a sort of erudite , just started listening to classical music recently or from the time of our conception.
    So please don't feel insecure or think your opinions and comments don't count - because they do! I enjoy them lots :wave:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    ds58, Mowgli, bigstar87 and 5 others like this.
  18. coopmv

IIRC, just like myself, you have the full Vivaldi box by Hogwood ...

[​IMG]

Mowgli likes this.
  19. coopmv

I definitively do not have this LP but I have two DG CD trios by Vasary ...

ShallowMemory and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  20. coopmv

Very strongly :agree:!

21. DeepFloyd11

22. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think the listening now posts can be kind of useful, though, in that they can serve as a springboard to conversation.

Also, as I understand it, the thread is supposed to be about what we're listening to with room for conversation, as opposed to the previous thread where conversation was kept ridiculously boxed in, even when it was germane to classical music. I'd rather have more listening more posts than car posts, and I think really off topic posting on a frequent basis is best avoided (but not prohibited) because it tends to keep people who aren't real regulars to this thread away and starts to feel like a clubhouse. Just my two cents.

23. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I agree with everything you have written here. You're right that it's the "conversation" part that makes this thread so much better than others. This is what I look forward to the most when I read this thread and I'm very happy that Bluemooze started it! That said, I'm probably part of the problem...:(. I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many other posters here and I come here to learn from them as well as get more suggestions to help empty my bank account! I do try to reply when posters ask specific questions to help get involved in these discussions but, you're right, they often fizzle out quickly. Not all of them do, though.

I get a lot of great knowledge from posts from you, WesH, DeepFloyd11 and others and I'm glad that they continue to share their experience and knowledge with the group. I'm confident that as time goes on and the thread matures, we will see much more "conversation" occurring.

As for me, I'm still in learning mode but intend to contribute as much as I can other than just 'listening to now' posts. But I do agree with Ubertrout that the listening to posts serve as a springboard to discussion and I really enjoy seeing what others are listening to.

ds58, Mowgli, ibanez_ax and 3 others like this.
  24. coopmv

I am also the proud owner of this very fine LP. Did it cost you $1 CAD? :)

25. DeepFloyd11

Yes, $ 1 CAD! Most of my LPs cost that amount. I have purchased maybe around 20 online so far, all of them LPs I used to have decades ago, but haven't found at the dollar sale. The sale is over now...I don't think next year they will have any more to replenish. ...but who knows. For the winter I will definitely get a few more through Discogs, probably from Germany, treat myself occasionally, get inspired by the posts here. Maybe a few CDs as well.

Mowgli and ShallowMemory like this.