Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

How do you know they are actually upsampled mp3s? Did you do a spectral analysis? Upsampled mp3s have a higher bitrate than plain FLACs. You can try it yourself. What I am saying is that maybe you are just assuming they are upsampled and dismissing them for doing something wrong when in fact the low bitrate is due to the recording.

dmleman and bigstar87 like this.
  2. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Listened to another great recording from the Arturo Toscanini Complete RCA collection with my afternoon coffee before work today. Very good sound for an almost 70 year old recording (it's a remastered recording from the 1999 Immortal Series). Most of my classical music listening is done before work via my Riva Festival wireless speaker (has chromecast audio built in, so I stream my entire classical library that I uploaded to Google Play music in 320kbps mp3 through it). I create playlists of the box sets I've purchased in Google Play and usually shuffle through one different box set playlist each week (last week DG Originals Vol. 2, this week Toscanini, etc.).
    [​IMG]

Soulpope, dmleman, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have some CD's on Naxos Historical that are almost a century old but are surprisingly listenable due to superb reconstruction/remastering ...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    bluemooze and bigstar87 like this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

Mowgli likes this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I ran it through my Lossless Audio Checker software.

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Since my thread is causing so much...dare I say...flack, I'd be perfectly happy if a moderator removed it and all responses.

8. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Don’t feel bad. I’ve never heard the difference a million dollar Stradivari makes over a hundred dollar Yamaha. (Same musician playing the same piece)

9. Mowgli

I've never been a fan of singing in my classical music (besides Ode To Joy) but I've decided to listen with an open mind.
    I enjoyed Missa Solemnis from the Harnoncourt LvB box & Mozart's Requiem.
    Cossi fan tutte and Handel's Messiah are tolerable enough. At least I can see why they're so popular.

Early this AM while reading
    [​IMG]
    Tonight's reading soundtrack - Brahms S2 & S3 from the 20CD Jochum box
    [​IMG]
    Some non-classical (but acoustic) fun music while I putzed around the house today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

So well written! Thank you.

WHitese, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  11. DeepFloyd11

That's awesome and Hotel California too.

Mowgli likes this.
  12. DeepFloyd11

Love that miniature guitar in the middle of your shelving unit! You love The Beatles and so do I!

ibanez_ax likes this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

That was so interesting and so cool! You definitely don't bore me! I think it's remarkable how you got hooked on classics little by little....and now it's so important in your life. As I wrote recently....we are all a work in process. Never too late to pick up a new passion, explore new horizons and go a little bit beyond the comfort zone.
    That's why even the guys here who are not very comfortable writing -because they think they are ' no good' or not good enough - should start to write a little bit. You might be surprised what can come out of your brain when letting go.

Wes H, Mowgli and Eigenvector like this.
  14. coopmv

My understanding is quite a few of us here, myself included, have recordings by the Beaux Arts Trio and its cellist Bernard Greenhouse. I just caught part of the Fox Business Network "Strange Inheritance" show (a rerun) this evening featuring Greenhouse's Stradivari cello. Here is the article I found online on that interesting story ...

Cape ties to Stradivari cello subject of television show

15. coopmv

Nice box! I have a good number of Marriner's Argo recordings, both on CD and LP ...

bigstar87 and Mowgli like this.
  16. DeepFloyd11

My husband and I are binge watching this Netflix show called Mindhunter. Pretty interesting and different than the usual crime shows.
    My husband has to get up at 5 for work tomorrow ( he has to work one Saturday a month), so I sometimes stay up later and when I am not reading a book and listening to my LPs, I watch some documentary or show by myself. Latest one is also on Netflix and called Bordertown. It's Finnish and as most Scandinavian shows....so intense, sordid and creepy.

Before I watch an episode, on the TT my other Kempff- Chopin.

[​IMG]

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3, Gilels.

[​IMG]

Understandable why Richter didn't want to record this after hearing Gilels :eek:

18. coopmv

You really love this LP ... :righton:

19. coopmv

It seems that every man and his cousins are on Netflix these days. We have not cut the cord at our house yet as my wife is a rabid football fan and she would only watch a live football game. As far as I am concerned, I use the cable company only for WiFi access and practically nothing else ...

20. Mowgli

Netflix's Lilyhammer takes place in Norway and it's funny instead of creepy but it's Scandinavian so OT but still OT
    I'll try Bordertown

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  21. coopmv

Wasn't the Winter Olympics held in Lilyhammer many moons ago?

ShallowMemory and Mowgli like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning the music about that big fis.....I mean mammal.

[​IMG]

23. Mowgli

I forget if David Helfgott was an RPC2 or RPC3 master but I love the movie Shine.

Here's Mr. H playing Bumblebee in Budupest

bluemooze, hvbias and Rose River Bear like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have been thinking about subscribing to Netflix recently. I wanted to watch the Jaco Pastorius docu but it looks like it is not available here in Canada. Us Canadian folks get less.

dmleman likes this.
  25. Mowgli

RPC3M3 with Mr H