Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IMHO, the late Zoltan Kocsis was terrific when it came to Rachmaninoff ...

dmleman, bluemooze and Mowgli like this.
  2. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

The sound was horrible on that last one I posted so here's Yuja Wang
    It's Yuja Wang in HD so the sound doesn't even matter IFAIC

Byrdsmaniac and bluemooze like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It's too small for me to play but not for him.

[​IMG]

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. He is one of the few pianists that makes sense out of the voicings in Rach's Second Piano Sonata. Everyone else seems to get lost.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

[​IMG]

No other pianist comes close to this version of the Second Sonata. Most of the other recordings seem to forget it is a sonata....ya know exposition, development and all that stuff.

Eigenvector, crispi, dmleman and 2 others like this.
  6. coopmv

I love this CD, which is in my Rachmaninoff collection ... :righton:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I believe it, I have all his recordings of Bartok's Piano Concertos (not easy to play!) and they're exceptionally played under Ivan Fischer.

Finished listening to the second half of the CD I posted several posts up which was Gilels playing Saint-Saens Piano Concerto 2.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. coopmv

Here is another CD by Kocsis I enjoyed, his Wagner Piano Transcriptions ...

[​IMG]

9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I think it's worth adding generally downloads are "supplied" to people such as Presto unless they themselves rip it from a cd but as Presto thankfully do include comprehensive pdf's that look very much as if they're directly from what was used to produce the cd versions art I'd be surprised.

ds58 likes this.
  10. coopmv

Rachmaninov "Paganini-Rhapsody" Zoltán Kocsis/Edo de Waart

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

Arthur Rubinstein plays Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on theme of Paganini

bluemooze likes this.
  12. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

We got the Netflix UHD 4 K that costs a bit more ( $ 13.99 /month) and it has more shows than the 10 bucks version.
    We only looked into it and subscribed because a few days ago we had to buy a new Smart TV after the old one died suddenly. It has the UHD 4 K capability - so we wanted to see how that looks. Great pic quality for sure.

Netflix is definitely worth subscribing to. We are stuck on our Shaw bundle for another year....but after that we are cutting the cable. Far too many good shows, movies, documentaries on Netflix for little money. The only reason these days to have cable are news - and for those who like sports. My husband likes hockey so there you have it....:help::help::help:
    hopefully there are other streaming options for that in the near future....

Rose River Bear and crispi like this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

I am still missing Volume 1. Only own the ones I played today....Volume 2 and 3.

14. DeepFloyd11

Awww!! He is so cute!!!:goodie::pineapple:

ibanez_ax likes this.
  15. coopmv

Our main TV is still the Mitsubishi tube TV I bought in 1988 ... :biglaugh:

The ultimate analog dumb TV.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've never had cable. I joined netflix fifteen or more years ago and find it a better deal for the amount of tv I watch. I still have the old plan with dvds and streaming. They aren't there yet as far as inventory for streaming only. I guess it depends on what you like but even with my limited watching or maybe because of it, I'm really picky. Cable "gives"you a lot but most of it you don't want. I find it tedious channel surfing when I'm at a hotel or visiting family.

Eigenvector and Rose River Bear like this.
  17. coopmv

I think I am also missing Vol. 1, which is always missing, even 30 years ago ... :winkgrin:

18. DeepFloyd11

Wow! Now that is durability! In Mexico I had a Sony tiny Trinitron colour TV my Dad brought me from Japan in the mid 1980. It still worked perfectly until I left Mexico in 2009. Not sure what became of it.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm looking for recommendations for piano music by Bartók. I bought an lp by Dezsö Ránki today and would like to hear more of this music. Who else plays his music? Anyone I should look for? I'm looking for solo piano music.
    Thanks in advance.

20. DeepFloyd11

There are so many good shows from Scandinavia and Island! If you haven't seen The Bridge, 30 degrees in February, Trapped, Department Q.....
    Not to mention the UK shows that are really good too. River is one of my faves.

Mowgli likes this.
  21. coopmv

Home electronics made in the 80's and 90's were much better made. The GE microwave two of my sisters gave me for Christmas in 89 was still working until I retired it to the garage a few years ago when we needed something bigger with more power ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

Richter plays Schumann and Brahms. With this one, I am still not sure if I like it or not - or what parts. I had not owned or heard this recording so they are not familiar to me. Will have to revisit a couple times more before I say something 'deeper' about it.

On the TT for a second listen.

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

$1 CAD for this Melodiya record?

24. DeepFloyd11

That's very true. Our LG LED Smart TV was from 2o11 - so it did not last too long. Capacitors are the first thing to go. My husband is thinking about tinkering with it in the winter and see if he can replace them and give it a few more years ( not sure where we would keep it though) TVs are strictly taboo in the bedroom. :shh:

Eigenvector and ShallowMemory like this.
  25. DeepFloyd11

YUP. Probably played only a few times...it looks quite perfect. The cover is so flimsy though, like most Melodiya. :thumbsdow