Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Forum Resident

Listening on-the-go:

[​IMG]

Brahms’ 4th • Bruno Walter • Ripped from the Bruno Walter Edition CD.

I made a smart playlist of 50GB worth of random albums from my lossless collection which I now sync to my phone, and this album was among them. I have to admit to not having given much attention to this interpretation before, having stuck to my Klemperer and Kleiber, but this is magical stuff.

(Only now did I realise that I have chosen the wrong original artwork for this one. Spot the mistake.)

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Wrong orchestra.

crispi likes this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

4. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Sofronitsky playing Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 111, during my break. Very "Horowitz-like" and an exciting performance not unsuited for this piece, though in general Sofronitsky wouldn't make my top Beethoven interpreters.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Forum Resident

Yes! Hopefully as many as possible!

6. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

One of those recordings where I feel pretty comfortable saying "get the SACD."
    [​IMG]

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Dmitri Shostakovich
    – Quartet for Strings No.8 in C minor Op.110
    – Quartet for Strings No.7 in F sharp minor Op.108
    – Quartet for Strings No.3 in F major Op.73
    Borodin String Quartet (Virgin Classics)

[​IMG]

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box. I was only familiar with his symphonies.

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Was that the Rochester Symphony?

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Yes, except "For The First Time" is credited to the Eastman Philharmonia. I'm not sure if that's the same orchestra.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Well-Known Member

I have this book in hardcover. I read it about 20 years ago.
    I was just reading reviews at A and this one is a good summary.

I particularly enjoyed this quote...

"In 1897 Toscanini married. His son was born nine months later. He said to someone that he was always on the beat. I should have mentioned earlier that Toscanini was noted for his strict fidelity to the printed score. He went over the scores with unrelenting thoroughness."

The Maestro - Customer Review

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

We went to Green Bay over the weekend and I ended up having to drive 2 hours in light snow, and inch in Green Bay and 3 inches where I was driving. Fortunately, they have the equipment to keep the roads clear with that much snow.

Mowgli likes this.
  14. Mowgli

Mowgli Well-Known Member

Fun video posted by Valentina Lisitsa yesterday.

From her YT description - "Bach wrote 2- and 3- part Inventions as a exercises for aspiring keyboard players to perfect one's technique and touch. Since any exercise is supposed to be difficult and push you to the limit, I did just that. This way they ain't any easier than some of Chopin Etudes. Don't take it as a recommendation to follow. Other than "ZERO PEDAL ALLOWED". That should be a given Anything else - tempo, dynamics...do whatever you can. It's good for you - and it's fun!"

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to Mozart String Quintets today from this 3-LP box set. Still working my way through it (1 LP to go). Philips/Netherlands pressing. 1976.
    Excellent performance and sound.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

I believe Eastman Kodak was the benefactor of the Rochester Symphony and helped create the Eastman School of Music. BTW, Linda Eastman, the late wife of Paul McCartney, was not related to the founder of Eastman Kodak ...

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

Unlike LA where heavy rain brings major traffic disaster, which I eye-witnessed some thirty years ago, most snowbelt states are well trained for snowy weather ...

18. coopmv

Picked up my new 2018 leased Honda yesterday and to my surprise, the CD player is gone. For audio, only AM/FM/Sirius are available and I can stream, which I do not do ... :(:sigh:

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Does it have Bluetooth? Does the device you use for listening on your walks have Bluetooth?

Mowgli likes this.
  20. Mowgli

Mowgli Well-Known Member

I never leased but understand that you can't yank the stereo to upgrade until you own it.
    Bummer.

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My 2016 Kia Sorento has a CD player, which is nice.

22. coopmv

The car does have Bluetooth. The device I use on my walks is not Bluebooth-capable ...

23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

How about an AUX input? Or USB? I'm asking because with either, you can of course control what you listen to in the car.

24. coopmv

The aftermarket for car stereo is pretty dead these days since most modern cars now have high quality sound systems built in right at the factory. I doubt I will ever make any attempt to do any upgrade even if I can ...

25. coopmv

The 2014 Honda I turned in has a CD player ...