Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Byrd" performed by the Vienna Vocal Consort on Klanglogo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

At the time of this recording (1972), Galway was principal flute with the Berlin Philharmonic. He didn't leave his post there until 1975 to start his solo career.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

There's no times on my lp but I'm certain I don't have 65 minutes spread over two sides of an lp, so what else is on your disc? My cover has a photo of Richter performing. Sorry I can't post a pic.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  4. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Here is the track listing.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. coopmv

Thanks for the info. It is quite interesting. Looks like Emmanuel Pahud followed the footsteps of Galway some forty years later. I bought the following Nielsen recording mostly out of curiosity, as Sabine Meyer was the principal figure that led to that epic struggle between Karajan and the BPO that ultimately led to Karajan's resignation ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I love that CD!

Wugged likes this.
  8. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Introducing Vanessa Benelli Mosell" on Brilliant.

[​IMG]

Mowgli likes this.
  9. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hi guys, just to say hi from this amazing and fascinating city....listening to Brahms No 1 witb Serkin under Szell on Spotify. Here's a pic of my husband and I on the rooftop pooldeck upon artival last Sunday.
    Cheers!
    Such a great record. Wish I could post my evil twin. ..but my apps don't cooperate. ....Cheers!

10. bluemooze

Thanks for the update. Hope you're having a great trip. No pic sadly. :)

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd and Eigenvector like this.
  13. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

:evil:

[​IMG]

14. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

bluemooze likes this.
  15. coopmv

I have the Accardo box but have not gone beyond the first listen, which probably happened a number of years ago ...

Mowgli likes this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm thoroughly enjoying these two new arrivals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Was it Hong Kong or Bangkok?

18. coopmv

@Wes H, Are you still using an Empire cartridge on your Empire 598?

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Starting Prokofiev Symphony 3, all live recordings in this set.

[​IMG]

What are the best performances from Gulda/Brilliant Classics Beethoven sonatas? I usually go through the named sonatas first to get a feel for a complete cycle, since it's unfeasible time wise to listen to an entire cycle if I'm not enjoying the named ones. I have so far just listened to Pathetique and it's a serviceable performance, and not much beyond that. I was not moved by the performance. Annie Fischer on Hungaroton remains my favorite.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Some folks actually think the BC version of Gulda Beethoven Sonatas to be better than the Decca version. I have the BC version and that Decca version came much later ...

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It is indeed the Brilliant Classics/Amadeo that has received good reviews by critics and George P (whose tastes often align with mine) mentioned it in the mega box thread.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To my ears Gulda's Beethoven Sonatas cycle that was released by Brilliant Classics is generally competent and certainly not bad, but not much more than that, he more or less stays on the surface, i.e. doesn't go very "deep" into the music. There are more rewarding sets in my opinion, like 1960s Arrau, Kempff's 1950s mono cycle (his 1960s stereo remake isn't bad either), the incomplete Gilels and Solomon, and Sviatoslav Richter and Rudolf Serkin have done several sonatas. Brendel's second and third cycles, both on Philips (now Decca), and András Schiff's recent cycle are personal favourites, but they are an acquired taste. Lucchesini is good, and Brautigam is the one to get if a good sounding fortepiano is preferred. It took me a while to appreciate François-Frédéric Guy's cycle, but it's grown on me. There are more, of course, but let me stop here :)

P.S. Annie Fischer's cycle is good, but maybe a bit too "constructed" - ske kept redoing stuff over and over again because she was never satisfied, and maybe that did the music more harm than good in the end. Schnabel's Beethoven belongs in every classical collection in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Wes H and hvbias like this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thank you very much, I am familiar with nearly all of the "classics" from that list, I will check out Andras Schiff and also need to hear Serkin's post-humous Op.110. Not much depth is exactly how I would characterize Gulda's Pathetique and I was wondering if it was perhaps just not one of his better ones, though to miss on Pathetique is IMO a cardinal sin .

Fischer's is not without its flaws and I only listen to selected works from it these days. Pathetique is one of the good ones.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah! Grumiaux, Arrau, Philips... what's not to like? :righton:

McLover, J.A.W. and Bachtoven like this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, indeed... The Empire 1000ze/x tracking at 1 gram.

[​IMG]

crispi and julesd68 like this.