Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Oh, my system readily reveals such differences and more! I can tell if the mics are not in exactly the same place on a recording!

A friend has my same same and he swapped the EL34s for Gold Lion KT 77s--loves them! He said they are more dynamic and detailed, but he doesn't listen to much classical, mostly pop, so I'm concerned about giving up that gorgeous midrange.

bluemooze and julesd68 like this.
  2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Resting Respighi,O. Tamas Vasary conducting Bournemouth Sinfonietta with R Wallfisch on Cello and (*) L Finnie doing the Mezzo-soprano. 1991 Chandos CHAN 8913
    Gli Uccelli, Il tramonto (*), Adagio con variazioni and Trittico Botticelliano
    Enjoyable set of performances bought for Trittico Botticelliano

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I have a very Solid State here:shh:
    [​IMG]
    My tuner is the 820L as it for the UK and Europe and the amp was restored with black gate electrolytics.

bigstar87, Wes H, Byrdsmaniac and 2 others like this.
  4. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I appreciate the sentiment but my wife would probably divorce me if I did either of those ... :laugh:

bluemooze likes this.
  5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Johann Sebastian BachJohn Williams Plays Bach — The Complete Lute Music On Guitar (Columbia Masterworks / Sony Classical)
    – Lute Suite No.1 in E minor BWV 996
    – Prelude Fugue & Allegro for Lute in E flat major BWV998
    – Lute Suite No.2 in C minor BWV 997
    – Lute Suite No.3 in G minor BWV 995
    – Lute Suite No.4 in E major BWV 1006a
    John Williams (guitar)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This article, and especially the follow-up comments, shed some interesting lights on him! I knew he had strong opinions, but wow...

Well-known US pianist 'died alone with his dog'

bluemooze likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs:

8. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Midnight Lightning's a Haydnhead

[​IMG]

Haydn Edition CD119 Baryton Trios 1-7 by Esterhazy Ensemble while reading Anguish & Triumph last night

Wes H, Eigenvector and royzak2000 like this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Same with my wife. Her doctor told her to stop riding a bike 15 years ago. Even when we traveled on the cheap we never stayed in a hostel.

11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

A while ago a friend of my mother very kindly gave me a good number of albums that he didn't want any more after he had moved to cd.
    I still haven't had time to play lots of them but thought this looked quite interesting to sample next.

It's a 'Well Tempered 2' with Richter on eurodisc / melodia.
    I'm not sure the 3 lps have ever seen the light of day or they might have been played the once!

Does anyone know this recording?

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Likewise. I've found that there are so many discounted hotels available on-line these days that if you go off-season as we generally like to, you can stay in reasonable comfort without breaking the bank.

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Facebook is blocked in China. But you are not in China, you are in SAR (special administrative region), the land of one country and two systems. Oops, no politics here!

[​IMG]

So, have you been in Kowloon yet, the part of Hong Kong that is aka the "Nine Dragons" :D

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Any relation to Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Eleanor of Aquitaine - Wikipedia

bluemooze likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've spent much of the night so far listening to Nelson Freire (his recent Decca CD with Piano Sonata 3 and a few other pieces) and Radu Lupu (his Decca solo set) playing Brahms solo piano pieces , and I must say I prefer Lupu by a large margin. Freire's playing sounds deliberate, as if he has thought about every note way too much, while Lupu's playing sounds natural and flowing, the way I like to hear those Brahms pieces. Freire is certainly not bad, but it's Lupu for me in Brahms. Has anyone else compared the two? Just curious :).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    bigstar87 and crispi like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yeah I did, also his Facebook page which has some rather strong opinions/accusations. I imagine some of the things were fabricated (though I imagine lots of it is true), someone was impersonating him on a piano forum, he has burned some bridges.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  17. Mowgli

Does anyone have the BC - 500 Years Of Organ Music 50CD box?
    I found it while searching for additions to take advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free sale.
    More good than mediocre or just spectacular from start to finish or...?

18. coopmv

Given the small fonts, it is not easy for me to determine with any certainty as to who the organists were. It does not look like Helmut Walcha, Peter Hurford, Marie Claire Alain and Simon Preston are on the list. For organ works, I already have a fairly extensive collection with works by Froberger, Frescobaldi, Pachelbel, Bruhns, Buxtehude, Corrette, Krebs, JS bach, Mendelssohn , Widor and a few others. This box is not terribly attractive to me as I doubt it adds any values to my overall collection of organ works ...

Mowgli likes this.
  19. Mowgli

Adriano Falcioni, who previously studied with Marie-Claire Alain; Roberto Loreggian (previous winner of the Preis der deutschen Schallplattenkritik); Benjamin Saunders and Thomas Leech, British performers who both put the new Leeds Cathedral organ through its paces; and Joseph Nolan, here performing on the Cavaillé-Coll organ in La Madeleine, Paris, who has studied under Marie-Claire Alain and Dame Gillian Weir.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

BTW, Michel Corrette organ works remind me of those by Handel as both are primarily performed on chamber organ rather than on the typical pipe organ where almost all JS Bach organ works are performed ...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have it. I’ve listened to half of it and like it. There are a lot of composers I’ve never heard of. I already had over 100 organ albums and it duplicates only a handful of discs worth of works. A lot of the albums are licensed from Tacitus and Berlin Classics. For the most part it’s one composer per disc and no composers have no composer had more than one disc. A couple of the discs are concertos and the rest are solo.

I listened to one of the new to me composers yesterday, Vincenzo Antonio PETRALI (1830-1889). It was one some people might not like. About half of it sounded like calliope music complete with drums and bells. The notes on the organ says it has timbales. I assume that means the organist plays them with the keyboard.

Musicweb has a good review of it that gives pros and cons. Organ 500 years BRILLIANT CLASSICS 95310 [SSi] Classical Music Reviews: April 2016 - MusicWeb-International

bluemooze, Wes H and Mowgli like this.
  22. coopmv

I actually have the following BC box and I doubt any of the big name organists I mentioned earlier had ever recorded the complete organ works by Frescobaldi ...

[​IMG]

BTW, the quality of Frescobaldi organ works is no match against JS Bach and I honestly found some of them as pretty boring ...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

A large portion of my organ works are those of JS Bach as I have 10 boxes of his Complete Organ Works and the rest are spread across many different composers, including all the organ works by Buxtehude, Pachelbel, Krebs and Bruhns ...

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Mowgli

I just read that review :righton:
    I'll probably get the BC Bach, Italian Baroque & Vivaldi boxes.
    I ordered the BC Corelli, Boccherini & Locatelli boxes last night.
    I better get to the mail before the Mrs.
    I'm already playing my B-day/Xmas present - BC Mozart Edition

bluemooze likes this.
  25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Vivaldi box is great.

Mowgli likes this.