Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Me too. :)

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have been sitting on the fence on this box for a long time. While I would like to have a Beethoven Piano Sonatas box in the SACD format, I am also concerned about the relative lack of energy and impulse for some of the passages that need high impact ...

3. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 2 from "Handel - Works for Harpsichord" performed by Luciano Sgrizzi on MHS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McLover, Wes H and ToddBD like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Have been listening to some Beethoven's Piano Sonatas 8, Op.13; 14, Op.27/2; 21, Op.53 by Radu Lupu from this excellent set:

[​IMG]

I thoroughly enjoyed these performances.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Soulpope and Wes H like this.
  5. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Brahms collection ...

[​IMG]

6. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I haven't been able to jump onto the ''authentic instruments'' bandwagon yet. I've listened to a few when they were hugely popular during the nineties (Mozart, Beethoven), but I always felt the performances to be analytically interesting rather than emotionally involving. Maybe one day...

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sublime.

[​IMG]

crispi, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  8. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

L. van Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10 no. 1

[​IMG]

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I usually don't like the fortepiano sound at all, but Brautigam's Beethoven cycle is an exception. I have Brautigam's complete set and love it, great playing and one of the better cycles regardless of instrument.

crispi and andolink like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Piano Concertos Nos 5 - 7 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Byrdsmaniac, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

His Haydn and Mendelssohn are good as well. I don’t like the Mozart.

12. coopmv

I have both his Mozart and Haydn ...

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    With Beznosiuk (flute), Kelly (harp) & Bond (bassoon). Recorded 9/86 & 1/87, Henry Wood Hall, London. Producer: Peter Wadland. Engineers: Simon Eadon & John Dunkerley. The flute & harp Concerto (K. 299) is one of my favorite Mozart works. Got this Wed. for 95 cents.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 1/7-10/91 at Curtis Hall, The Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia. Producer/Engineer: Max Wilcox. At the time the pianist was 98. The playing may be a bit on the careful side, but is enjoyable. A couple of interesting bits: 1) H was only about 5' tall. 2) Before moving to the US in 1940 he lived in Milan & became a close friend of the Toscanini family. Issued by Elektra Nonesuch in 1992. Also a 95-cent purchase.

15. coopmv

This is the first time I have seen this recording ... :righton:

16. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I bought this box a couple of months ago and like it and your assessment is fair. I have no doubt that Beethoven himself would have loved a modern grand piano, but we have a plethora of recordings of these works on a Steinway or something similiar and it's interesting at the very least to hear it on a style of piano as Beethoven would have played himself while perhaps dreaming of the pianoforte.

I also like to hear recordings of other piano makers, such as Fazioli or Bösendorfer. More the merrier as for as I am concerned.

crispi, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Putting some Ludwig van on the TT...
    My favorite performance of the Piano Sonatas 31 and 32, played by Wilhelm Kempff on this 1960 album from DG.

[​IMG]

McLover, bigstar87, crispi and 8 others like this.
  18. Undersea

Undersea Member

Recent listening:

[​IMG]

Bach: Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248 - Jacobs/Academie Alte Musik Berlin

Listening to this recording, purchased earlier in the year, for the first time.
    I don't buy many Harmonia Mundi recordings but this one was available for a cheap price so I thought I'd give it a shot.
    Liking this very much so far. :)

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Bach, J.S. The Six (count 'em) Cello Suites Mischa Maisky 1985/2015 DG Galleria 482 2820 (2 cd set)
    [​IMG]
    A dirt cheap buy for £4.16 including mailing for this two cd set which seems intended for the Italian market judging by the SIAE sticker on the jewel case rear and an engaging performance.

20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Unmissable performances.

Wes H likes this.
  21. bluemooze

Now listening to "Oswald Von Wolkenstein (1376-1445) - Songs" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and ShallowMemory like this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2, Symphonies 2 & 4. This is actually from the 40 CD Beethoven The Masterworks box, which arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

23. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Medieval Christmas" performed by The Orlando Consort on Harmonia Mundi France.

Quote from Amazon customer toomanytornadoes - "soothing, very ancient sounding and possessing the ability to lift one into another place and time. The modern world melts away..."

This actually sums up why I enjoy listening to this kind of music. :)

[​IMG]

Wes H, ToddBD, ShallowMemory and 3 others like this.
  24. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Earle Brown: Event Synergy for two ensembles (1967-68)
    The San Francisco Contemporary Music Players conducted by Earle Brown and Stephen I. Mosko

[​IMG]

25. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

The melting away of the modern world is all well and good if that's soothing to you but you do realize, right?, that life in Medieval Europe was anything but soothing for most of the people most of the time. Hobbes' description of the state of nature where life was "...nasty, brutish and short..." is very apt.

Bubbamike likes this.