Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  2. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I just received this recording and it is proving to be a revelation to me on many different levels.

I have long loved Vladimir Ashkenazy's piano recordings but his career as a piano virtuoso has taken a back seat to his conducting activities in the past 20 years. It is a rare privilege to hear piano playing of such distinction as I find on this album and it's an even rarer privilege to have Vladimir Ashkenazy, the virtuoso, back in such fine form. I can say that this recording is as fine as any he has given us in the 1960's and 1970's (his heyday of piano recording) and attests that though he is extremely busy as a conductor, Mr. Ashkenazy must still practice the piano rigorously as evidenced by his dazzling technique in this album of Sibelius piano pieces.

The other great discovery for me is the pieces themselves. I am unfamiliar with most of them (with the exception of Valse Triste, which I know well in its orchestrated iteration) and I did not know before that Sibelius wrote such sensitive, beautiful and in many cases revolutionary music for the piano. I am enjoying these pieces immensely.

Moreover, I must say that the label behind this recording, Exton, have not always found the perfect recipe, when it comes to delivering a natural, realistic recording balance for the piano, but they have really gone above and beyond in this case, as I have rarely heard such fine, natural piano sound. This recording gives the listener the perspective of hearing Mr. Ashkenazy play live in a small, intimate sounding acoustic. Firstly a recording studio in Jarvenpaa Talo, Finland for tracks 1-27 (on what sounds like a well tuned Steinway) and secondly Sibelius' piano (which sounds to my ear like an Erard) in his home in Ainola, Finland for track no. 28, Valse Triste.

I would recommend this recording as a demonstration album for the SACD format itself, as I cannot now recall a more natural sounding piano recording among the SACD piano recordings that I have listened to in the past 18 years.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes sadly the several DG LPs with Abbado and Argerich had very bad sonics.

4. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

ERIK SATIE - Gnoissenes, etc.
    Reinbert de Leeuw

The combination of this CD with the sounds of rain falling outside my window is magical. And so I am now experiencing magic!

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Wish I could swear on this forum, lets just say it is that time of night were my needs messing up.
    [​IMG]

Mik, crispi, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  6. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I am also enjoying some rainy day magic...this disc seems to suit the mood and melody of the rain that's falling outside my window.

David Ellis, bluemooze and no.nine like this.
  7. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My rainy day piano marathon continues...this time with the vinyl pressing of this recording by Bella Davidovich.

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, there seems to be no interest here in this cycle or this set. Pity. Thought about it some more and decided not to get the set, at least not now. The fact that they released it on CD-Rs is a big issue for me, the more so since they're asking 116 Canadian dollars for it, plus a hefty shipping charge. On top of that I'd probably have to pay import charges (21% of its value plus a handling fee), so all in all it would be a very expensive CD-R set.

9. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    ...now playing...Sviatoslav Richter.

royzak2000, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Rostropovich Brahms Cello Sonatas. Not my reference, but a great listen.

[​IMG]

Mik, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 1 from "Schnittke - The Ten Symphonies" on BIS.

Symphony No. 1 performed by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra led by Leif Segerstam.

[​IMG]

Mik, royzak2000 and scompton like this.
  12. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I had a conversation today about classical music, and my wife needed to be reminded of some pieces, so I had to play her some Bugs Bunny cartoons that used some pieces....Then she remembered. I also remembered that my grandmother, who was a musician was an Arthur Schnabel disciple.

Thoughts as I listen to this new arrival.

[​IMG]

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I am listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto with Geza Anda, Wolfgang Schneiderman, and Pierre Fournier with the Berlin RSO conducted by Ferenc Fricsay. It's on vinyl on the DG Resonance label. I am enjoying it quite a bit. I haven't heard it all that often.

15. bluemooze

First listen to CD 14 from "RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1".

"Heifetz Concertos"

Sibelius Violin Concerto - Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Walter Hendl
    Prokofiev Violin Concerto No. 2 - Boston Symphony Orchestra led by Charles Munch
    Glazunov Violin Concerto - RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra led by Walter Hendl

[​IMG]

Mik, DeepFloyd11, Adam9 and 8 others like this.
  16. bluemooze

First listen to CD 1 from "Ferenc Fricsay - Complete Recordings On DG Vol.2 - Operas, Choral Works."

Bartok:

• Bluebeard's Castle performed by the Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

• Featuring Heartha Topper and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
    Cantata Profana performed by the RIAS-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin
    Featuring Helmut Krebs and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
    [​IMG]

Mik, royzak2000, crispi and 2 others like this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Bach Solo Cello Suites by Kirshbaum

[​IMG]

Adam9, Mik, royzak2000 and 2 others like this.
  18. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 10 from "Mercury Living Presence Vol. 1".

"Dvorak - Slavonic Dances" performed by the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra led by Antal Dorati.

[​IMG]

Mik, Pickering33, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  19. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Sweet Philomel - Madrigals by John Ward" performed by The Consort Of Musicke led by Anthony Rooley on Hyperion.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby
    Evelyn Tubb
    Mary Nichols
    Andrew King
    Rufus Muller
    Alan Ewing

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and WHitese like this.
  20. bluemooze

First listen to CD 4 from "Arturo Toscanini - The Complete RCA Collection".

Beethoven - Symphonies 5 & 8 performed by the NBC Symphony Orchestra.

[​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I assume these are from his late 1940s/early 1950s Beethoven Symphonies cycle.

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium. I'm glad I'm getting a chance to listen to this composer. Thanks again @bluemooze!

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  23. bluemooze

You are correct! There was also a Lenore Overture from 1939 that I neglected to mention. :)

24. bluemooze

:targettiphat:

25. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "A Comprehensive Selection From The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book" performed by Joseph Payne on Vox.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.