Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe, but acquiring EMI Classics (and those other labels) was a major scoop, whatever you may think of their reissue policy. And I think some of their reissues, such as the Cluytens box to name but one, are very worthwhile.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That may have something to do with Philips not allowing the previous Philips recordings to be labeled as Philips in perpetuity ...

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, Universal Music discontinued the Philips label after they had acquired it and they are reissuing Philips recordings on Decca.

4. coopmv

The anti-trust cop helped out WarnerMusic, particularly the American one IMHO ...

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not so sure about that; they (Universal) are using the Philips logo for the original jackets of Philips albums in their mega boxes.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but anyone (Sony, for instance) could have bought those labels when the EU ordered Universal to sell part of what they had acquired, but Warner beat them to it.

7. coopmv

Isn't the big box containing all the Philips original jackets still labeled as Decca?

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The box itself is, but the jackets have the Philips logo - at least the ones I've seen.

9. coopmv

This is totally logical. There is no getting away from using the name Philips on the individual original jacket Philips recordings since a change of ownership cannot change history. Not using the Philips name on the big box is entirely consistent ...

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

See the Jessye Norman jacket.

[​IMG]

Soulpope and SteelyTom like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The title of the big box does use the Philips name - see my previous post.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...and so does another Universal Philips box - but both were released by Decca:

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

This is a special case: Can't argue with history ...

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just checked my big Alfred Brendel Philips box - it doesn't use original jackets and uses the Decca logo throughout.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It seems they are using the actual (historic) label logo for their label and original jacket boxes, and the Decca logo for their non-original jacket boxes.

16. coopmv

At least UniversalMusic is being consistent. Once they call some recordings as original jackets, they have to apply the Philips name throughout the big box. In this case, they outright relabeled all these recordings Brendel previously made with Philips as Decca, they can call the big box Decca.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Anyway, Philips was a wonderful label (at least I think it was) and I'm glad the recordings are being reissued by Universal, in whatever form.

Dan C, Soulpope, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  18. coopmv

It was a great label and my preferred classical label since the mid 70's when I first ventured into the classical music world. But those Philips mega boxes are no-touch for me since I will have too many duplicates.

Thomas R likes this.
  19. Joe F

Joe F Active Member

Hello,

Joined as a member long ago but then slowly drifted out of audio. Getting back into to it recently. This thread and the jazz thread has reignited my interest .

Today is listening. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Google is your friend. Kubelik did record a complete Beethoven cycle, which was unique for using a different orchestra for each symphony. Pentatone has recently been re-releasing these in their original stereo/quad configuration on SACD; thus far they've released all except the 3rd and 9th, with the 9th scheduled for next month.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Forum Resident

Good point.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Kubelík did record a complete Beethoven Symphonies cycle for Deutsche Grammophon between 1971 and 1975, with 9 different orchestras. DG reissued the cycle in Kubelík's Symphony Edition:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    ubertrout, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the images.

ShallowMemory and crispi like this.
  24. bigstar87

bigstar87 Well-Known Member

from the RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1:
    [​IMG]
    I just love this recording (even though I'm generally lukewarm to Mahler symphonies) and wish Reiner would have done more Mahler

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    vanhooserd, Joe F, hvbias and 6 others like this.
  25. Soulpope

Soulpope Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(LP Philips 6514 322) 1983 .... the ongoing original brands/Philips discussion made me replay one of the arguably finest hours of both Jessye Norman and the Gewandhausorchester led by Kurt Masur ....