Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Zig Zag Territoires ZZT-110902) 2011 .... not necessarily superseding the performances of Heifetz, Szigeti and Milstein - an achievement most likely not to happen at all - but very worth hearing nevertheless ....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Marzz, andolink and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this CD and the same works by Milstein. They are very different performance and from very different time periods ...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

You will be the first to get her autographed CD if she ever makes a CD recording ... :righton:

4. Chriss Ons

Chriss Ons Forum Resident

Definitely, both of them - the adventurous Blomdahl's 3rd being my favorite:

Thomas R, ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Alfredo Casella - Symphony No. 3 / Elegia eroica" performed by Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma led by Francesco La Vecchia on Naxos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soulpope and ubertrout like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs:

7. coopmv

I wonder if Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma is related to Orchestra da camera Di Roma. Below is the only recording I have by the latter ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Rudolf Serkin Mozart piano concerto 21 and 27 (CD 24 from the large Sony Serkin box), this was a first time listen for me. Will need to give it another listen on speakers before I form any opinion; cursory impressions are good :)

Discogs images rarely work for me... trying this

edit: nope, all I'm seeing is the IMG tag like many images in the last few pages, let me rehost this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

( :hide: And 1/3?)

Mowgli, Wes H and crispi like this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Philips "Concert Classics" German Press 422 977-2) 1989 .... exquisite readings from 1967 ....

11. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

from the RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1:
    [​IMG]
    This album still wows me every time, one of my favorites in the box set. I'm gonna order the Stokowski Decca set being released later this month:D

vanhooserd, bluemooze, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  12. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I just found Rattle's Sibelius uneven and frankly boring not being helped by the lean dry sound from the Warwick Arts Centre. The only two Rattle recordings I have kept is the Sibelius 5 with Nightride and Sunset (1982) on an early EMI Angel Japanese pressed disc and his Planets (1981) both more for the Philharmonia Orchestra's sound than his conducting.

13. ShallowMemory

70's Boston and Chicago symphony orchestra records were the ones I rated at the time with the L.so, B.p.o and the Concertgebouw and at that time it was mainly the first two I bought or borrowed but in the end it's the playing rather than geography that counts although goes without saying it's usually easier to see those nearer where you live rather than waiting for a short touring season.

ubertrout likes this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Radio Nederland Wereldomroep ‎RCO 11004) 2011 .... thereof CD 2 Mahler 5 (Klaus Tennstedt, December 9, 1990) .... Tennstedt`s Mahler in live settings never fails me ....

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Philips Classics-The Stereo Years box. Includes Klavierstück No. 1 in E Flat Minor, Klavierstück No. 2 in E Flat Major and Klavierstück No. 3 in C Major.

[​IMG]

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP, choral music by the Ukrainian composer.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Supraphon SU 4024-2) 2010 .... passionate performances by Ida Haendel + Karel Ancerl + Czech Philharmonic Orchestra .... excellent remastering of these 1957 radio tapes .....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    bluemooze, bigstar87 and Wes H like this.
  18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

19. ShallowMemory

[​IMG]
    It's here and being spun!
    Beethoven: Complete Violin Sonatas Vol.2 Kempff and Menuhin DG 459 436-2 2 cd set
    Highly enjoyable and was in practically mint condition.

20. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Red Seal "Library Collection" 82876 65840-2) 2005 .... a recent acquisition (via a bargain bin) granting some joyous listening ....

21. coopmv

I have a grand total of only 3 recordings by Rattle among my 7000+ CD's. Two of them are Holst's Planets with the Birmingham Symphony and the BPO. The other is the following

[​IMG]

More curiosity than anything else, as I was eager to find out the performance style of Sabine Meyer, whose prospective hiring at the BPO precipitated a major battle between the orchestra and Karajan, which ultimately led to Karajan's resignation from the BPO ...

mdekoning, bluemooze and julesd68 like this.
  22. coopmv

Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to find a copy of this twofer ... :(

23. ShallowMemory

bluemooze likes this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I can't see your image :(

Also I assume you are referring to the Phase 4 Stokowski box? If so how do these Phase 4 Decca recordings sound?

25. coopmv

ShallowMemory likes this.