Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I like Salonen's from this set.

[​IMG]

Rose River Bear and bluemooze like this.
  2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

My commiserations. Why the natives here think thin card is adequate to pack an lp baffles me although I had one with just parcel paper once.

julesd68 likes this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2. 40 and 41.

[​IMG]

4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD EMI "EMI Classics" 5 75526 2) 2002 .... bought this for a pittance (when Warner took over) and this little Box set turned out to be an abundant treasure trove .... now playing some Debussy ....

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I couldn't find it either (found partial recordings), I am a big fan of her Bach.

6. ShallowMemory

I have the two double cds EMI France put of of Martinion's Debussy which I still feel are well worth it. For the Ravel I got the Cluytens EMI 2 cd.

7. ShallowMemory

Mmm Shallow's blowing the cobwebs out....
    [​IMG]
    Sibelius: Violin Concerto with Tone Poems Bergen P.O cond Sir Andrew Davis with Ms Pike on a Strad. Chandos 2014 CHSA 5134 stereo/multichannel sacd
    A self recommending addition to the Lso/Colin Davis Symphonies set for sacd people with marvellous playing and super wide dynamics that MDT/English Postbox have for just under £11 plus shipping

bluemooze, ubertrout and Wes H like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Have not heard the Schumann, but that's unfortunate. Did you buy the SACD or just stream it?

OTOH, Tilson Thomas provides a sterling account of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.1 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra-- best I've encountered -- and DG's recording is first-rate (on LP).

[​IMG]

In fact, it's going on the TT now... ;)

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now you have to make another trip to the post office to return the split record to the sender for credit ... :sigh:

10. coopmv

I have all 4 volumes in the following box ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. and bluemooze like this.
  11. coopmv

Blomstedt with SFS is actually quite good. Blomstedt certainly elevated the SFS to a much better orchestra IMO ...

I am certainly done with collecting Sibelius.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  12. coopmv

Looks like MTT is well liked by you. I have never warmed up to him ...

13. ShallowMemory

Call this a partial resetting of my handpicked Stravinsky section....
    [​IMG]
    Stravinsky, Igor: Orchestral Works* Deutsche Kammer Philharmonie Bremen cond. Paavo Jarvi 2004 PentaTone 5186 046 stereo/multichannel sacd
    * Shallowfied title as it hasn't one, this contains Suite from "L'Histoire du Soldat" with Ragtime, Concerto in E Flat "Dumbarton Oaks", Concerto in D for string orchestra, Suite N0.1 for small orchestra and Suite No.2 for small orchestra which as the insert explains was a recording Mr Jarvi always wanted to make as a self contained set of small orchestral works.
    I think he pulls of it rather well and this is really well recorded too although this is a 'vintage' sacd a point one is remained of by the Philips and Sony promotional insert on the merits of the new Super Audio cd

bluemooze and ubertrout like this.
  14. coopmv

I also have the older style of performance from the following LP and have always been fond of Sir David Willcocks recordings ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. and bluemooze like this.
  15. coopmv

Is Paavo Jarvi son of Neeme Jarvi? I don't believe I have any recordings by Paavo but do have a good number of recordings by Neeme ...

ShallowMemory likes this.
  16. ShallowMemory

Yes. Paavo Järvi - Wikipedia

17. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Stefan Wolpe: Symphony No. 1 (1955/56)
    NDR Symphony Orchestra/Johannes Kalitzke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

Thanks for the link. I have the following Sibelius SACD box by Neeme Järvi ...

[​IMG]

19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I don’t know about earlier editions, but the “Originals” CD version sounds magnificent.

Wes H likes this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Had and having another listen to an old favorite. Sviatoslav Richter - The Sofia Recital 1958

Or you could title it a genius walks into a concert hall.

[​IMG]

21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Oooh, I need to check that out. I need a good collection of Sibelius Symphonies on CD.

22. coopmv

I think half of the participants of this thread have this recording, myself included ...

HowardLive likes this.
  23. coopmv

You may have to go for a used copy as Finlandia has pretty much disappeared after its "takeunder" by WarnerMusic ...

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have at least two copies, Great Pianists of the 20th Century and the Complete DG, Philips and Decca box

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon German Press DG 431 591-2) 1989 .... bought this 2nd CD edition as new release and never looked back - Giulini takes his time to illuminate details still keeps a steady dramaturgic flow .... (IMO) easily his best Brahms Symphony 1 recording ....

bluemooze, crispi and Wes H like this.