Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Red Seal German Press RD-87701) 1988 .... beneath Blomstedt/San Francisco/Decca and Dausgaard/DNRSO/Dacapo this CD remains a perennial favourite and - as good as the other performances from this RCA cycle are - these performances of Symphonies 1 + 4 are head and shoulders above the remainders .... very good sound too ....

bluemooze likes this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I believe for a few years after Philips bought Mercury & ended their deal with Epic they issued their classical records here with that label, records pressed in the U.S. by Mercury. I assume complaints about quality led to them to start importing the Dutch pressings. They even started pressing Mercury recordings in the Netherlands & issuing them here as Golden Imports.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    It's snowing again, at 14 degrees (F) with a wind-chill temp of 1.

Mowgli, bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

We had a pinch of sleet. Not good enough! :rant:
    [​IMG]
    Mozart, W.A. Concertos V.P.O cond. Bohm with Alfred Prinz on clarinet and Gerhard Turetschek on oboe DG 1974/5 cd (r) 1990"Mozart Mastepieces"429 816-2
    One of the famed M M's at Shallow's where KV191 with Dietmar Zeman on bassoon which wasn't on cd before was added to the program to take it to a generous 74 minutes of great playing all for £5.99!

bluemooze, Marzz, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I guess you haven't seen what happened in my city over the weekend! Then again, I suppose that this unusual for Texas? Is that a car parked on the lawn???

ShallowMemory likes this.
  6. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Love Böhm's Mozart!

ShallowMemory likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like you like the old HH while @Scopitone likes the new HH ... :righton:;)

Scopitone likes this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Snow will arrive here overnight this evening as well ...

9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This! Absolutely! I love my VPI 16.5 and consider it and integral and indispensable part of my vinyl playback system.
    I didn't have one in the early days of collecting records, but managed to get by with Discwasher, Watts, and other products that were out there. When I got the RCM, it opened up a whole new dimension in cleaning and maintaining records.
    Always cleaned a new disc before it went on the TT. After that, LPs just receive a quick brushing with an anti-static brush before the tonearm goes down. 48 years later 99% of my vinyl plays like new, so I must have been doing something right. ;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  10. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

No sign of snow for us in London, but some beautiful snowy pictures from northern realms on the BBC website here -

Article - BBC Weather Watchers

bluemooze, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the TT; Schubert Trio No.1 in B-Flat, Op.99, performed by the Stern/Rose/Istomin Trio.
    This Columbia Masterworks LP is not dated (they rarely are), but judging from the album number (MS 6716) I would presume that it was released in 1965.

[​IMG]

I have this same work on several other recordings, notably the Beaux Arts on Philips, the Wiener Trio on Telefunken, and Rubinstein/Szeryng/Fournier on RCA... but the Stern/Rose/Isotomin performance is my hands-down favorite-- bold and exciting.

12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more about the virtues of an RCM - utterly indispensable but I could do without the back pain it induces ... :cry:

@hvbias - I'd be interested to know which decks you have been trying out!

Wes H likes this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

And also arriving here tonight.

Now playing:
    Johannes Brahms – Concerto for Violin in D major Op.77
    Jascha Heifetz (violin) – Chicago Symphony Orchestra – Fritz Reiner (RCA Victor Red Seal / Living Stereo — Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Decca UK Press SXL-2005) 1958 .... beloved recording first heard and finally inherited via my parents ....

DeepFloyd11, bluemooze, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box. One of my favorite 9ths.

[​IMG]

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The best turntable I ever owned came from your country (Nottingham Spacedeck) ;) If I was still into vinyl I would have upgraded to their heavier platter Nottingham Dias or maybe a TechDas AirForce 3 from Japan with the way the American stock market is going (same designer as Micro Seiki). TechDAS

[​IMG]

Nottingham was a very small company and didn't have the advertising money of VPI, Rega, Clear Audio, etc. I would take it over any of the ones I mentioned. Very heavy weight platter, very smooth bearing. With no belt attached and fresh oil in the bearing the platter would continue spinning for over a minute with just a gentle push with no motor. Previous TT before that was a VPI Scout, followed by Technics SL-1200 MK2 and first turntable was a Music Hall MMF-5. While I had the Nottingham I also briefly experimented with Lenco L75 in a couple of plinths, but could never get the noise floor low enough.

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have that fine CD. The Clarinet Concerto is one of my favorite pieces of music. I made a CD copy of Benny Goodman's recording of it with Charles Munch & the Boston SO & gave it to my wife's boss. He plays it in his office almost every day & it keeps him in a good mood.

yasujiro, bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Included in this great box, of course, along with Munch's interpretation of Schubert's second, D.125:

[​IMG]

crispi, bigstar87, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Tennessee. This is our 2nd snow of the winter, both in the past week. We measured it at almost 3 inches, which is pretty substantial for us. The cold is a bit unusual. As for the car on the lawn: our niece, who lives with us, finally got a car so we don't have to drive her to work. We do need to figure a better parking place. Looks like your city has warmed up & is only slightly colder than us now.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

A lot of Columbia LPs have a Library of Congress number on the back & you can estimate the year from that.

crispi and Wes H like this.
  21. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I just took the plunge and ordered this yesterday (about $130 on Amazon). Looking forward to diving in!

Eigenvector and bigstar87 like this.
  22. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

[​IMG]
    Ravel. Orchestre National de Lyon cond. the incomparable Leonard Slatkin 2012 Naxos 96/24 download (only on redbook otherwise)
    Part of the five part Ravel series Leonard Slatkin recorded for Naxos which I have on HD downloads played back via Fiio X3 Mk1 dap.

Marzz, Eigenvector, hvbias and 3 others like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I ususally right click on the IMG tag and select open image in new tab. This is in Chrome where discogs images rarely show up for me. Other browsers don't seem to have the problem. Although those images are showing up.

hvbias likes this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

DC again is going to be in the hole not getting much snow. We're supposed to get a dusting to an inch because the storm will have run out of moisture as it gets here. Then it goes off shore to pick up more moisture and dump on New England.