Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Here is another Chung disc that is outstanding.
    That's a great Great.:D

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I put that number into the LoC database search and got zero results. I guess the process is more involved than that... ?

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the TT: Handel -- Concerti Grossi Op.6, played by the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by Raymond Leppard.
    Philips 3-LP box set, pressed in the Netherlands. I'm playing LP 1: Concertos 1 - 4.

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

@bluemooze, How do you like this box so far?

5. coopmv

I have this box as well and it is my very first Handel 12 Concerti Grossi op 6 box ...

Wes H likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Have enjoyed listening to it - glad I got it. :)

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That works, thanks very much! No more wondering what people are listening to when the post isn't labeled :p. I am on Firefox with ublock Origin and Privacy Badger, disabling both those plugins still broke Discogs images, so I'm not sure what is up.

8. bluemooze

First listen to "Baroque Music From The Kromeriz Archives" performed by Musica Antiqua Praha led by Pavel Klikar on Supraphon.

[​IMG]

9. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Thanks for that, always like hearing about turntable adventures! :agree:

I've been familiar with the Spacedeck for some time but not the Dais - had a look and that heavyweight platter is something else indeed, the deck weighs in at 36.2kg ...:cool:

hvbias likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have never tried to look up an actual LoC catalog file. Looking through some LPs at hand, I have Bernstein's 'Rite of Spring', Columbia MS 6010. On the back it gives LoC catalog card number R58-1122. 58 would stand for 1958. In fact, according to the discography at leonardbernstein.com, the recording was made 1/20/58.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I should have figured someone from the UK would be familiar with them :D

How about this big mama, 80 kg platter floating on an air bearing. An online acquaintance on another forum is making a production run of 5 of them.

[​IMG]

julesd68 and crispi like this.
  12. coopmv

Now you are going to need to find a 5000 lb table to hold this big mama - how about a sold steel block? :biglaugh:

julesd68 and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  13. coopmv

:righton:

14. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 40 from the "Baroque Era" box on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Disc 1 from "Frescobaldi - Keyboard Music" performed by Christopher Hogwood.

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

I have the following box. Unfortunately, Frescobaldi was no JS Bach, many of these works are kind of dry ... :(

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. bluemooze

I have an Acoustic Signature Final Tool sitting in the closet awaiting a headshell wire clip soldering repair. :confused:

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

:righton: Great German gear!

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I love that box. IMO, he is a step below Bach, but it's a small step.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

from the RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1, Brahms Double Concerto:
    [​IMG]
    Amazing sound and performance ,will probably order the Heifetz Stereo Collection come tax return time! I think Brahms symphonies are very good(when I first heard them they didn't immediately grab me like a Beethoven or Tchaikovsky symphony did but do get better the more you listen) but his concertos are awesome

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah-hah! So that's the key. Thanks for the tip. :targettiphat:
    The LoC cat. card number for that Schubert Trio No.1 album is R65-2108. So the release date would be around 1965... and that's what I guessed, though I was basing it on Columbia's album number, MS 6716, and where that falls in with my Glenn Gould database of all his Columbia releases. ;)

vanhooserd likes this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:edthumbs:

22. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

McLover, Marzz, Eigenvector and 6 others like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

That looks beautiful!
    My husband is getting a German TT soon.
    The Sota Sapphire he owns needs some serious maintenance and it's just too much hassle right now to get the parts, find a reputable audio tech...have his vintage SME 3009 Series III tonearm checked....He got a new cartridge ( a Grado instead of the Dynavector) for it recently, but it was just not the right fit, and the TT is not in best shape anymore. We got a full refund on the Grado - but now the Dynavector lost one channel altogether.

Anyway to make a long story short - he is getting a German TT as well, but a different brand called Acoustic Solid 113 Bubinga with a separate sound board also made from Bubinga wood.
    He decided to pair it with a Jelco 950 S tonearm that was highly recommended.
    Now he has to wait for the thing to arrive and meanwhile think about what cartridge to get. The world of audiophile gear is so f......ing confusing to me. So many different opinions, choices. I hate it. I just want him to be happy and the things to gel, work properly without giving him any headaches. :help::sigh:

Here's the beauty.

[​IMG]

It's going to look like this - with the Jelco tonearm.

[​IMG]

If anyone here has suggestions for a cartridge that's not more than $ 1250 US..... any tips I would greatly appreciate.
    My husband is very eclectic and listens to prog rock, hard rock, metal, jazz, jazz fusion and now of course classical music as well.

We have been listening to my modest Technics TT through his system while waiting for the new TT, I WANT IT BACK. Hahahaha.:help::help::help:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Listened tonight to another cassette tape that I made from a library CD sometime in the 90s, a tape I probably only played once or twice: Tadaaki Otaka conducts the BBC Welsh Symphony in Richard Strauss, a Nimbus recording from 1992 with 'Don Juan', Death & Transfiguration', 'Till Eulenspiegel' & Waltzes from 'Der Rosenkavalier'. I was surprised how good it is, given the relatively little-known orchestra & conductor. Really good, in fact. Makes me want to stick with the tapes for a while.

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Some late evening music on the turntable: Masterpieces of the Early French & Italian Renaissance.
    The label on this Nonesuch album is titled, "French and Italian Song of the 15th Century." Twenty works are included from various composers.
    Performed by the singers and instrumentalists of La société de musique d'autrefois.
    Recorded by the French label, Le Chant Du Monde.

[​IMG]

This was the 10th album that Nonesuch released when they began operations in 1964.
    I bought my copy (new) in 1976, so it is not an original pressing.

McLover, Marzz, hvbias and 4 others like this.