Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I still mainly use my modestly priced DUAL CS-750, which I bought as a NOS in 2001 for $600 plus shipping. It is still fitted with the Grado Prestige Gold I installed in 2001. I am certainly not in the mood to spend thousands of dollars on another turntable given that I do not have as strong an interest on vinyl as many of you are ...

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That's a beauty! :righton: I'm sure he'll enjoy it immensely when it finally arrives.

Good luck with the new cartridge search -- the most difficult choice of all, IMHO. Trying to find that perfect synergy between cart, arm, and phono stage can be challenging.

julesd68 and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  3. coopmv

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Cheapo CD that sounds amazing and great performances. Worth the three bucks.
    [​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H, ShallowMemory and 3 others like this.
  5. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Arrived today and played tonight: CD of Beethoven’s Christ on the Mount of Olives recorded for Dutch radio in March 1957 and performed by Fritz Wunderlich (which was the draw for me) — then 27 years old. Another performer of interest was Erna Sopoorenberg, who I never heard of before but sang very pleasingly. Glad to supersede the other version I have of Christ...Olives by Eugene Ormandy, with singers who were not my favorites.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  6. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Thank you! And you are right - it's a difficult decision to pick one of the many possible alternatives.
    In my personal opinion - it's more about the music than the 'perfect' sound. The chase for the ultimate sonic experience can be like chasing the dragon - a total addiction and complication - not to mention the enormous financial costs it can signify.
    Of course there are persons who have almost unlimited cash to spend and also industries that tailor their products to dig into those deep pockets.
    Same reason why there are cars for $ 500 K or more or the $25 K handbag and the $ 10 K a night hotel room. In my opinion that is an extremely frivolous niche.

Wes H likes this.
  7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Trying to save my ITunes database. Over the years it's gotten really corrupted so I'm going through and deleting and adding files. It's a pain in the rear. It would be much easier if my classical and Jazz/Pop weren't in two different libraries, but that would cause other issues. So while doing this I've been listening to some Fennell and giving the speakers a good workout.

[​IMG]

I just got done with Fritz Wunderlich so I think I'll listen to some of this. It's unfortunate that he recorded so much kirsch.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton:

9. bluemooze

First listen to CD 13 from "Ferenc Fricsay - Complete Recordings On DG Vol.1 - Orchestral Works."

Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 performed by Geza Anda and the Berliner Philharmoniker
    Brahms - Concerto for Violin and Cello performed by Wolfgang Schneiderhan and Janos Starker and the Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

[​IMG]

Marzz, bigstar87, DeepFloyd11 and 4 others like this.
  10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I must admit, that actually looks pretty good compared to all those other "modern" tables out there. I like it when turntables look like cutting lathes. Has an air of seriousness about it all.

hvbias likes this.
  11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I think if I installed that deck in my flat it would probably bring the whole block crashing down! :laugh:

crispi likes this.
  12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Congrats to your other half on the choice of deck - looks absolutely sumptuous in that finish and the Jelco mates with it very nicely!

When choosing my cart I was faced with exactly the same challenge - a cart that can rock out and sound refined in equal measure.
    It has to be able to do everything from Scriabin to Slayer and a lot in-between! After a fair bit of research I ended up choosing an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II which I'm running with a Fidelity Research SUT into my conrad-johnson phono stage. What I love about the cart is its neutrality - it is very honest in revealing the source characteristics and won't add anything of its own so it can cope with any music you care to throw at it. With all my music I get a supremely dynamic sound, full of life. I highly recommend you add it to your shortlist. :)
    [​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope, bigstar87 and 3 others like this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Gold Seal "The Heifetz Collection Vol. 17" German Press 09026 61748 2) 1994 .... heavenly music for sure ....

Mowgli, hvbias, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Oehms Classics OC 781) 2011 .... stunning Bach Partitas performances by Tiflis, Georgia born Irma Issakadze still virtually unknown with a number of Bach aficionados .... should be shouted from the rooftops .... btw the sound is formidable ....

Mowgli, Marzz, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night listening- bringing myself back to more Schumann with this Symphony 1 and Manfred Overture from the Charles Munch box:

[​IMG] (first time hearing this performance)

I've never been a huge fan of this symphony, this performance didn't change my mind.

17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the TT this snowy morning: Sibelius - Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op.43. Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
    Capitol, mono, recorded in 1958.

[​IMG]

McLover, hvbias, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Thank you very much for the suggestion. :righton: I will forward it to my husband. He has also been looking at the Hana models, Nagaoka MP 500, Dynavector 20X, AT ART 9, ..still undecided. He still has around 2-3 weeks to make a final decision while waiting for his TT.
    Meanwhile on my modest Technics SL3200 fitted with a Nagaoka MP110. It sounds really nice. I am very proud of how it sounds (through Harman Kardon amps and an iFi Phono2) while it is hooked up on my husband's system. I have a vintage Onkyo Integra Servo Amp. I only spent $ 200 CAD on my TT + amp plus $ 180 on my cartridge. But I love it! :love:

[​IMG]

hvbias, Marzz, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:love:

hvbias, ubertrout and crispi like this.
  20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

One where we go back in time...
    [​IMG]
    Boccherini, L. Cello Concertos Vol.1 Scottish Chamber Orchester cond. Anthony Halstead with Ti Hugh on Cello 1995/1999 Naxos 8.553571
    Compositions:
    Concerto No.1 in C major G 477
    Concerto No.2 in D major G 479
    Concerto No.3 in G major G480
    Concerto No.4 in C major G 481
    Volume one of a highly enjoyable set the cds of the complete Cello Concertos Naxos put out.

Mowgli, hvbias, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  21. coopmv

Many Muti's recordings with the PO ended up on the Seraphim label for some seasons and not staying as the higher priced Angel ...

22. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Good luck with the choice! Based purely on the music preferences I would suggest steering away from the MP500. I used to have the older model of this, the MP50 - it sounds very nice indeed with classical music but for me didn’t do rock music justice - whilst it has a fab midrange, the treble is just a little recessed and polite …

Recently a friend of mine did a side by side comparison for me of the AT33PTG/II and his new ART7 which I believe is the low output version of the cart you mention. I could hear a tad more refinement and detail on the 7 but the 33 was very, very close to it and represents much better value for money IMO …

23. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Four German guitarist, really good fun, super recording
    [​IMG]

24. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Venice By Night" performed by La Serenissima led by Adrian Chandler on Avie.

Works by Vivaldi, Albinoni, Veracini, Lotti, Carlo Francesco Pollarolo and Giovanna Porta

Featuring Mhairi Lawson (soprano), Simon Munday (trumpet) and Peter Whelan (bassoon).

[​IMG]

hvbias, Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

It’s “just” 80kg. Or do you deny access to your flat to anyone who is heavier than that? :)