Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Meant to mention that this 32 track box set won't be officially released until tomorrow (1/19/18) but Spotify has it streaming. Quite enjoying it; especially with the awareness of Beethoven's early penchant for composing deliberately difficult pieces with which his competitors would struggle. None of them, of course, at the expense of a cleverly considered statement. Fun.

Mowgli and bluemooze like this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Winner. Apparently the original recordings of her material, most of which remains unpublished.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

How is the orchestra? Bruckner symphonies are not the easiest to play and these regional orchestras are often "überfordert", or in English, let's say "challenged" to use a euphemism.

crispi likes this.
  4. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Not in the mood for anything too "heavy" this evening so this is sounding very nice to me right now. Even though it's a digital recording, it still sounds pretty good to me.

[​IMG]

5. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

That's a beautiful cover, even with a bullet-hole in it ... :laugh:

When I was watching the Vienna Phil New Year concert with Muti this year he made me laugh - the camera was on him and then all of a sudden he just downs tools and stops conducting like he wanted a little breather ...
    It happened a couple of times that I could see! :confused:

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Yeah, what they do to covers for cut-outs is borderline criminal but this one cost me $1 so I’m not getting too upset about it. It’s a great performance and a great recording!

ShallowMemory and Bubbamike like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I can't remember where, but I think I read that music she wrote for amateurs was mostly published, but most of her serious work wasn't.

ando here likes this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Listening to this right now on CD:

[​IMG]

Not sure I'm convinced by Harnoncourt's Haydn. I was expecting this to sound fresh and HIPpy. But it's quite stale, somehow. Doráti's older performances have more verve than this. Hmmm..

Wes H, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I recently got a cut out CD with a drilled UPC. Unfortunately the UPC was in the middle of the bottom edge so they drilled the CD too.

crispi likes this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

11. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Ugh. I wonder, though. Is it still playable? If the hole is somewhere along the edge where there is no data and there’s no crack, it should be playable. (Unbalanced CDs do make a lot of noise in the drive, though.)

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was unplayable. The hole was about about 2 or 3mm in from the edge.

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It would be hard to imagine much better performances! Superb sound, too. (96khz/24bit FLAC--I'm running out of room for LPs and CDs!)

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I put the Freiburger in the same league as the MAK. In other words, I don't go crazy over their recordings. However, I have the following box and found MAK has done an excellent job

[​IMG]

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Mowgli, hvbias, ShallowMemory and 4 others like this.
  16. coopmv

:edthumbs:

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The heroic efforts to play these Albeniz piano pieces on the guitar and make them sound idiomatic, especially the four excerpts from Iberia, are mind blowing! Mind you, he doesn't sound as if he's struggling, but any guitarist will appreciate the gymnastics he's going through! Guitar Coop's engineering places Jorge in one's listening room. I opted for the 24 bit WAV download, but it's also available as a CD.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, Marzz, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  18. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Found this in the files. I thought I'd listen to it again.

[​IMG]

McLover, Marzz, Eigenvector and 5 others like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I read that, too. Very good reviews otherwise. Thanks again. On Spotify, btw.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  21. coopmv

:edthumbs: Don't think I have ever seen this LP before ...

22. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Dunstable - Medieval Mass of Blessed Mary / Palestrina - Missa Aeterna Christi munera" performed by Schola Cantorum Budapestiensis on Hungarton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marzz, hvbias and Wes H like this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I saw Eugene Ormandy do that once with the Philadelphia Orchestra. They were playing Beethoven's Symphony No. 7.
    In the dramatic second movement, Ormandy stopped conducting after the first few bars (having set the tempo) and then just stood calmly at the podium while the orchestra played the movement. It was amazing to watch an orchestra of that size playing that movement on it's own. I assumed Ormandy was demonstrating the skill of his players. I was impressed.

julesd68, hvbias and bluemooze like this.