Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Debussy & Poulenc: Sonatas for Cello & Piano" performed by Jean-Guihen Queyras and Alexandre Tharaud on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I've been buying a lot of Nonesuch LP discs of late. I love their diversity and great performances and recordings. If you can find any, look for some of the Checkmate output (this was the upscale counterpart to Nonesuch and short lived, they released some nice LP discs and half speed mastered too) This post is McLover Approved (but wish this had been mono only instead of mock Stereo)

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You're speaking my language, friend! Love old Decca SXL and the USA London Blueback counterparts, some very fine recordings.

crispi likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This US pressed Philips Classical series began in 1962 or 1963, and continued on until sometime in the late 1960's, then replaced by Dutch imports. These USA pressings were the transition from the USA Epic releases of Philips Recordings due to Philips 1961 purchase of Mercury Records, before the buyout Epic in the USA released Philips recordings in the USA. And Philips released in Holland Epic recordings. This association ceased when CBS established European branches and began issuing their recordings under the CBS label. And Philips bought Mercury as their way into the USA record marketplace.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    bluemooze and crispi like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The US-pressed classical LP's were absolute no-touch for me ...

6. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Aww that's nice that we inspire you to play your LPs.! I love my records so, so much. They give me much joy really.
    Last night after dinner (Carriage House Prime Rib Dinner with Au jus and Garlic Mashed Potatoes)....we were in the neighborhood of that pawnshop we sometimes visit.
    I found a few CDs actually - I will post a photo soon. My husband was going through the LP bins and found 5 classical LPs for me. 2 were sealed ( $ 5 bucks each) and 3 were $1 CAD each. So 5 more added to my collection :bdance:

7. DeepFloyd11

What a waste of vinyl that would be!!! YUCK!!! :yikes:

Mowgli, McLover and Eigenvector like this.
  8. DeepFloyd11

9. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Never heard of and I have some strange Russian records. One of them is Tishchenko's Concerto for cello, 48 cellos, double basses and percussion.

crispi likes this.
  10. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Last night I was awake at 4am with my mind in overdrive, so I ended up sleeping in very late. So to try and avoid the same fate tonight I had a decent walk this afternoon in a horribly grey and wet North London. I ended up at my favourite record shop where I usually just look for rock vinyl. Having found a beautiful copy of ‘Breakfast in America’ I decided to have very quick look at the tiny classical section. I’m glad I did. I found a very early HIP recording of Bach’s Overtures by Harnoncourt and Concentus Musicus Wien on Telefunken, 1966. It’s a lovely looking 2 lp box with a detailed booklet inside. The vinyl needs a really good clean but looks to be in excellent shape.

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

:righton: You're the best!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. coopmv

I have this 2-LP box and it is in pristine condition ...

13. coopmv

Two Albinoni walks for me two days in a row, i.e. played Albinoni works while I took my walk. Yesterday it was CD1 from the following twofer

[​IMG]

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  14. coopmv

On the just completed walk, I listened to the following CD ..

[​IMG]

Non-HIP and HIP performances and both ensembles played some of the best Albinoni's ... :righton:

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium. Schumann (Berlin) is mono, Brahms (Philharmonia) is stereo.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Mozart collection ...

[​IMG]

I would not be surprised @Wes H or @bluemooze have this LP since their Nonesuch collections have to be larger than mine.

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  17. coopmv

[​IMG]

bluemooze and McLover like this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It wasn’t uncommon during the first decade of stereo to find mono re-releases in fake stereo – some more successful than others. I actually have a mono copy of that “Masterpieces” album, but the electronically-enhanced edition (in this case) provides a decent illusion of space without annoying phase issues. Still, I agree with you, straight mono is almost always preferred.

I also have several Checkmate albums. Here are a few I pulled off the shelf just now:

[​IMG]

Love that slogan: “records worthy of a king’s ransome”…!

As you pointed out, Checkmate provided a better product for the extra dollar they charged (Vanguard started this, too, with their mid-priced “Cardinal” series) and it was certainly worth it. No less than Marc J. Aubort supervised those two Beethoven albums above. But with all their care in recording, mastering, cutting, and gatefold packaging, the line apparently didn’t sell and they only released a handful of records (all popular warhorse titles).

Checkmate’s association with Nonesuch is that they were both owned by Elektra at the time, though Nonesuch was launched three years earlier. In the case of that 1967 Checkmate/ Leslie Jones’ recording of “Haydn Symphonies 101 & 104” (shown above), I believe the Nonesuch box set of the twelve “Haydn London Symphonies” (shown below) shares the same recording, as both state they were “made & processed with the Dolby A 301 audio noise-reduction system.”

[​IMG]

McLover, bluemooze, Baroque and 3 others like this.
  19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I may be wrong but believe Elektra/Nonesuch were amongst the very first to use Dolby A for studio recording.

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Looks like you found one of the cloth-bound editions. Congrats. I have that as well, though without the gold sticker.

julesd68 likes this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, I have it. Wild cover art, eh?

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

You're right... At least, that's what Nonesuch claimed when they issued the album below.

[​IMG]

It was said to be the first U.S. recording to use Dolby noise reduction. 1967.

bluemooze, Mowgli and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

That's awesome!! So cool you found 'Breakfast in America'. Attending a Supertramp concert in 1976 in Germany was my very first rock concert. Loved them ever since.
    Just a few days ago my husband played a few of his original Japanese pressings....they sound so nice. Lovely music - timeless.

julesd68 and ShallowMemory like this.
  24. DeepFloyd11

25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't know any composer where there is less agreement about the best performances than Chopin. If you asked people for their top 3 Chopin pianists I doubt there would be significant overlap of 1, 2 and 3 in order.