Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 - Keyboard Concerto No. 3 BWV 1054, Keyboard Concerto No. 5 BWV 1056, Keyboard Concerto No. 6 BWV 1057 and Keyboard Concerto No, 7 BWV 1058

from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    bluemooze, Mowgli and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  2. coopmv

A little tweak is necessary here IMO, it should be "Breakfast in North America" to include the great Bach keyboard interpreter Glenn Gould, who was Canadian ...

ShallowMemory and Wes H like this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Soo..theses are the CDs I got yesterday for $ 3 CAD each. They are in perfect condition. Something I will be listening to in the car on the way to work. We are moving into our new corporate offices next week. No more walking or biking to work until spring/summer. Then -if hopefully my knees cooperate- I can bike there.
    It's a 12-15 minute drive, taking the buses would be at least 45 minutes - so I'd rather drive I guess. Sad about that....:sigh::sigh::sigh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rimsky-Korsakoff is interesting: Scheherezade : Eugene Ormandy / Philly. Capriccio Espagnol: RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra under Kondrashin

The Wagner CD features Ormandy, Szell, Bernstein....

4. coopmv

Yeah, anything that should not appear on the LP jacket of a classical recording could appear on a Nonesuch classical release ...

5. coopmv

A bus ride with your Sony Discman is a perfect combo! :righton:

6. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha - I haven't owned such an artifact in a very long time!
    I have an iPod Nano with mostly rock, jazz fusion, dance/trance. Just a few classical compositions. I added the CD with the Dvorak Cello Concerto (Leonard Rose/ Ormandy) - from one of the CDs I got at that pawnshop a few weeks ago. I also have the Brahms 1 with Rubinstein, Oistrach playing Sibelius , Stern interpreting Dvorak. That's about it for classical on the go.

7. DeepFloyd11

This is an awesome cover in my opinion...

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  8. coopmv

There are still believers in the Sony Discman. My wife gave me one in 1999, which I still use whenever we lose power. George P stocked up on Discmans a while back for fear he could no longer find it if he waited ...

9. coopmv

Does your fave record shop in town have a good supply of Nonesuch and MHS LP's?

10. DeepFloyd11

I found a few....all in great shape. They had a good selection of most European and North American pressings/ labels that I was able to take advantage of. I even found quite a few Melodiya LPs , that most people probably overlooked- or couldn't read who the composer was or the interpreter.

11. DeepFloyd11

I am very happy with my iPod Nano. It holds a bunch of music that I uploaded from my CDs in the best possible quality. Easy to scroll through and I even have the album covers etc... The sound quality is decent for a portable device.

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. coopmv

Now playing the following LP - Handel Harp Concerto from my Nonesuch collection ...

[​IMG]

The Handel Harp Concerto is not a piece that has been much recorded. I have three versions in my collection and here is the other LP version ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  13. coopmv

Sony Discman will still give you hi-res audio sound, just saying ...:righton:

14. coopmv

:edthumbs:

15. coopmv

Some classical LP jacket!

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Or, more likely, a Westminster Gold release--some of which were insufferable.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

CD 14 from the Gilels Melodiya box. Glazunov Piano Sonata 2, Prokofiev Piano Sonata 2, some some shorter pieces from Balakirev, Rachmaninov and Prokofiev. This box was not cheap even on sale, I have played many discs from it and given the performances I feel like I've more than got my moneys worth.

[​IMG]

18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I had a similar issue with commuting when my company moved. Back in 1986, I lived within walking distance of their corporate office when I had an urban apartment. It was great exercise for the body and mind to get outdoors for that 45 minute brisk walk twice a day. Loved it. My apartment was on the bus line, too, so that was an option in bad weather. That lasted nearly 8 years. Then the corporate chiefs decided they wanted a swanky new headquarters in a suburban office park... 13 miles away with no sidewalks, no bus.

So, yeah, I understand. :sigh:

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have that LP! Bought it new in 1971 from my favorite records shop.

If you'll look on the back, you'll see it is a Marc J. Aubort/ Elite Recording. :righton:

That distinctive cover art is by Bob Pepper, who created many Nonesuch covers... including the one for the Handel album that @coopmv posted a few minutes ago. Also, he drew the cover of the Haydn Symphonies album for Checkmate that I posted earlier this evening.

peter1, bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  20. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

I haven’t listened to much classical music lately. Put this on the turntable tonight.

[​IMG]

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wonderfully played and recorded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

You'd be better off shooting with a revolver.

McLover likes this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm still listening to the cassette tapes of library CDs I made in the 90s. Two are with Chailly conducting this orchestra in works by Zemlinsky, recorded by Decca in the late 80s. I was impressed.

ShallowMemory, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

'Some Girls' came out about three months after I moved to Athens, GA. People there were busy forming bands inspired by punk, but everyone seemed to dig the new Stones album.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  25. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Brendel did most of the piano music (inc the variations) in my BC LvB Edition.
    This will be a welcome addition. Thanks for the heads-up :cheers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.