Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have that Elgar LP as part of this box set: An Evening With The London Symphony Orchestra (all works conducted by Colin Davis).
    It was part of a mail order subscription series titled "The International Festival of Great Orchestras," which I had in 1971. Other orchestras included Berlin, Boston, etc, and all nicely done with a hardbound book included during the first run. I believe that later press runs did not include the books.

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this a pop or a classical vinyl?

Here is one of my MCA vinyls purchased back in the early to mid 70's ... :hide:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

Getting late and I thought I responded to @DeepFloyd11 ...

I would have bought that Sir Colin Decca Philips years if the box has a lot more than 15 CD's.

5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:love: Livvy is another artist whose work I have come to appreciate since I joined this site in 2013.

6. coopmv

Livvy???

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The MCA album would be recordings Segovia made for the American Decca label. I have a bunch of those on CD. I believe they have been reissued by Universal in a DG CD box set.

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That's what I meant, not variations!

Wes H likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Insula Feminarum - Resonances Medievales De La Feminite Celte" performed by La Reverdie on Arcana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Olivia Newton-John

12. DeepFloyd11

I like some of her songs! This is probably my favorite.

julesd68, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 42 from the "L'Oiseau Lyre - Medieval & Renaissance" box.

"Monteverdi - Quarto libro dei madrigali" performed by The Consort Of Musicke.

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Bubbamike, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Audite CD 95.494) 2007 .... recorded April 17th, 1977 @ Herkulessaal Munich, Germany .... this "live" recording inherits all virtues from Böhm`s superb 1976 studio recording with the Wiener Philharmonker and adds more drive for a truly sumptuous delivery .... btw very good live sound ....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  15. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 2 from "The Flowering Of Renaissance Choral Music" performed by the Hamburger Bläserkreis für Alte Musik, the London Cornett and Sackbutt Ensemble, the Early Music Consort of London and Pro Cantione Antiqua of London led by Bruno Turner on Archiv.

Busnois - Missa "L'homme armé"

[​IMG]

hvbias, Marzz, mdekoning and 3 others like this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD BBC Legends BBCL 4137-2) 2004 .... recorded "live" Januray 12th, 1963 and June 14th, 1965 .... (IMO) this ensemble represented during their prime a secured state of art status and these performances give sustainable testimony - wonderful indeed ....

Marzz, bigstar87, ubertrout and 2 others like this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

On CD.

[​IMG]

mdekoning and bluemooze like this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Bowing the strings...
    [​IMG]
    Boccherini Cello Concertos Vol.2 Scottish Chamber Orchestra cond. Halstead with Tim Hugh on Cello 1996/1999 Naxos 8.553572
    Concertos 5 thru 8 in the series I may of mentioned last week (told ya my memory's badd) played on modern instruments even if the conductor is linked to HIP performances. and very well recorded at St Bernards, Stockbridge, Edinburgh.

Marzz, julesd68, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  20. DeepFloyd11

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

hvbias, Marzz, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

A most fabulous choice. I have been meaning to buy this lp for some time now, thank you for the reminder!

The historical context of the music is fascinating for me and adds an extra dimension to the appreciation of the music. Lawes spent his entire career in the employ of King Charles I as a court composer and naturally when the Civil War broke out he sided with the Royalists. He was shot dead in battle in 1645.

Wes H, bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Warner-Recordings-14CD/dp/B00WH9SYYG

Does anyone have this Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli Complete Warner Recordings box set, if so how is the mastering? One Amazon reviewer says:

Most of the pieces sound like they were recorded in a cardboard box on an Edison cylinder setup. They're clearly over-filtered, and there's little high end

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Could be the quality of the recordings (some of them were made during WWII and in the late 1940s, others are Italian radio broadcasts), and/or the masters Warner used (EMI? They were known for too much processing). I usually take those Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, they almost never say under which circumstances and on which equipment the recordings were listened to.

ubertrout and Wes H like this.
  24. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

From what I read on Amazon.com it's indicated the Great Recordings of the Century remasters are used for the EMI recordings which it's possible some may have on this site.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am very skeptical of them as well (particularly about performances) when it comes to sound quality usually when they say things like "too much surface noise or pops". But "over filtered" is fairly specific language used by classical regulars and at least to me implies that the reviewer understands what historical recordings should sound like. Will sample them for myself this week :) I'm not a huge Benedetti fan, though the box looks interesting for the price.