Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Wow, this really sounds great on Blu-ray. What a performance, too.

[​IMG]

scompton, bluemooze and crispi like this.
  2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've owned the LP of this for decades. Despite the acoustics of the cavernous chapel--and the fact that it is recorded "live"--the music selections and performances are stirring. :righton:

julesd68 likes this.
  3. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Many thanks, I appreciate the suggestion and will search for this too on spotify. I only collect vinyl so that fits the bill very nicely!

Gosh you have put me on the spot there regarding works I don't like ... :kilroy:
    Ok, here's a start. The only symphony that I have found any enjoyment in so far is the "Pastoral" so that leaves quite a few that don't work for me.
    Also, whenever I go to a piano recital and hear a 'hoven Piano Sonata I find them very tedious indeed ...

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My copy of vinyl is somewhat beaten up though I have never looked for a CD version ...

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

20 years ago I'd have been disbelieving if someone told me how much I'd eventually enjoy choral music like this. :)

julesd68 likes this.
  6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Brahms Symphony No.2, performed by Karajan / Berlin Philharmonic. From this DG box set, made in Germany. LP 1964, box 1969.

[​IMG]

7. bluemooze

First listen to CD 6 from "Murray Perahia - The First 40 Years" on Sony.

Perahia Plays Schumann.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I understand. Like fine wine... it can take a special vintage, tasted in a special place or moment, to appreciate it.
    Choral music takes me to another plane entirely. In fact, I file all of my choral music separately from my other records; so when I want to enter "that plane," I know where to reach for it. :)

julesd68 and bluemooze like this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have these two from the first and third Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Hmm... Have you heard the "name" sonatas, or just someone playing one of the lesser-known ones? I think the "Pathetique" (Sonata No.8 in C minor) is very approachable--nothing tediuous--though I suppose it can depend on who's playing it. ;)

I'm partial (meaning extremely biased) towards Gould's performance of the Pathetique (album below). His rendition of the 1st movement is breathtaking... IMHO, of course.
    [​IMG]

11. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I was an RCA/BMG tape/record club member a number of times.
    Columbia RC are to avoid but Capital Record Club pressings are usually worth a few bucks more than the originals.

12. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Easiest way to get it:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Matt Richardson like this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I have the exact same set as you, mine is a 1970 pressing, but also tulip, and the LPs are all made from 1964 mothers. This was made for export, the set sold in Germany was a little bit different: it had the same cover picture, but smaller, and also contained the Requiem, the Haydn Variations and the Violin Concerto.

[​IMG]

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Interesting! How many LPs are in that box? Mine, of course, is just the Symphonies -- on four LPs. It's all in English, but the labels, booklet & box all say "Made in Germany." LPs are stamped 1964. One inner sleeve is stamped "11/68" and the rest are "9/69"... which is why I listed the set as 1969.

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Yes. That’s all correct. The inner sleeves are the most reliable way to tell the approximate pressing date on a German-pressed DG. Of course, you have to be sure that those are the original sleeves.

The German set has 3 more LPs, so 7 in total. But I already had those on individual LPs, so I didn’t bother getting the set when I came across it recently.

From my experience, DG preferred to ship already pressed LPs to other European countries, maybe because they wanted to keep their reputation for well-pressed LPs (which is what set them apart in the 50s and to a lesser extent in the 60s). In some instances, like this one, they also printed the covers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    bigstar87, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable this Friday afternoon, some Mozart symphonies/overtures as conducted by Otto Klemperer.
    [​IMG]
    EMI/Angel 6-LP box set. DMM remastered/issued 1985. Made in Great Britain. Playing:
    Symphony No. 33 (recorded 1966)
    Symphony No. 34 (recorded 1964)
    Overture "La clemenza di Tito" (recorded 1965)
    Overture "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" (recorded 1962)

17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

My introduction to Feldman and to this piece was seeing it played in a recital by Alexander Melnokiv a few years ago. It was an eye-opening musical experience, as what it offers is so different from what I am used to. Melnikov explained a bit about the piece before he started playing ("nothing will 'happen' for the next two hours, most of it will be a slow pp"), including that it was perfectly okay to let your mind wander or even nod off to sleep, and that he wouldn't be offended. It was very helpful actually, and helped dispel some of the stiffness of seeing such a 'modern', 'difficult' work. The lights were dimmed and we spent the entire concert in near silence. That alone was a powerful part of the experience, almost meditative.

Highly recommended if anyone has not heard this work to check it out.

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Vivarte box. Schubert chamber music is always a good idea.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bigstar87, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  19. coopmv

That was how I discovered Antar, which led me to start looking for recordings with better sound ...

20. coopmv

Great looking LP jacket, which I have never seen since most if not all my DG LP's were from the mid 70's and later ...

crispi likes this.
  21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 3.
    Symphony #4
    Symphony #5, versions 1 & 2. Apparently there are four versions of this, but only two are actually designated as Symphony #5.

Symphonies 4-5

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. coopmv

Looks like the 3-SACD set I bought in 2012 has a fair amount of overlaps with your box ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

crispi, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't think it's really difficult music, just not to people's tastes who don't like minimalism. It's probably the easiest entree into his late works. Like I said, at least these excerpts are less sparse than other late works, plus it's only 2 hours long as opposed to the 4-6 hours of some of the others that I own.

I wonder how many people fell asleep at that recital. This is music it would be easy to fall asleep to. There's no crescendos or even forte passages.

JuniorMaineGuide and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

First listen to CD 8 from "Stravinsky - Complete Edition" on DG.
    • Persephone performed by the Tiffin Boy's School Choir and the London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra led by Kent Nagano, featuring Anne Fournet (speaker) and Anthony Rolfe Johnson (tenor)

[​IMG]

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Found today at the local thrift for ten cents...a bit dirty but still a nice player. Columbia 6-eye mono. Haydn Quartet in D, Op. 76 #5, and Quartet in E-flat, Op. 76 #6.
    [​IMG]

Worker, Mowgli, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.