Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Wow. That's certainly 'different'. No. 2 and 3 are certainly in my top 5 favourite!!! Opera is close to my heart....but I am VERY picky.

julesd68 likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen. The CD is OOP and used but the liner notes is in pristine condition and CD itself is in mint condition ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Here goes.....
    1. I think all of Bruckner's Symphonies sound too much alike.
    2. Rudolf Serkin may be the most boring pianist that ever banged the horse teeth.
    3. The guy that wrote "In Case of Brahms" on top of the exit sign may have been on to something.

:p

Mowgli, bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  4. coopmv

For me, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc, created the modern classical music ...

bluemooze likes this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recordings from 1984-97, reissued on this 1998 compilation. Accompaniment by various orchestras & conductors. I'm not a connoisseur of classical singing, but I find her voice very pleasing.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Well, if you insist.

The Harpsichord. Every time I hear it, I think of this guy.

[​IMG]

Opera, especially the Italian stuff where at the end everyone is either dead or screaming for revenge. :rant:

The fortepiano. For the love of God, stop the tinkle-tinkle sounds and play the damn thing on a Steinway.

I listen to a fair share of 20th Century music that is NOT late romantic, but some 12 tone stuff sounds like the aural equivalent of a Jackson Pollock painting.

People who think all "Classical" music sounds the same. If the opportunity presents itself, I'll play the second movement of Beethoven's 6th symphony followed by the second movement of Bruckner's 9th symphony. That usually shuts 'em up.

7. DeepFloyd11

That's hilarious!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Agreed on the Steinway (Or Boesendorfer)....:righton:

I would play a Chopin Nocturne and then Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. :goodie:

bluemooze, bigstar87 and ibanez_ax like this.
  8. DeepFloyd11

On the TT.... Richter playing Schumann and Brahms

[​IMG]

9. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

1. Performers who vocalize while performing, especially Glenn Gould. I can't filter it out and it ruins it for me.
    2. Opera in audio-only format. I enjoy it live or on blu-ray, but I just don't find it interesting as audio only.
    3. Most orchestral music written after about 1915, subject to many caveats. Atonality was a dead end, and composers seem to be searching in vain for a way back to relevance for an audience beyond musicians.

bluemooze, DeepFloyd11 and bigstar87 like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection, a long-time favorite and not a solo keyboard piece ... :agree::winkgrin:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

So the soprano here was Janet Perry, who sang the soprano role in the 1984 Karajan Beethoven 9th recording IIRC ...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

1. Atonal music.
    2. Opera (although I like sacred choral music -- go figure)

Mowgli, julesd68, bigstar87 and 2 others like this.
  13. coopmv

Not exactly I Solisti di Zagreb but it is Croatian Baroque Ensemble ... What do you think @DeepFloyd11 ?

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Last LP tonight:
    J.S. Bach - Orchestral Suite No.3
    and the Double Concerto for Oboe, Violin and Orchestra. Euphoria Records, 1978.

[​IMG]

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I also like a lot of Masses and Requiems.

16. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Simple, Beautiful, delightful. But a bit repetitious.

[​IMG]

yasujiro and SteelyTom like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I didn't need another 9th, but this was fifty cents & there's nothing wrong with it. More interesting was a work new to me, the Symphonic Variations, Op, 78 (1877). Recorded live in June, 2007, Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, Baltimore. Producer: Andrew Walton (K & A Productions Ltd.) Engineer: Leszek Wojcik.

18. coopmv

[​IMG]

To my Euro friends on this thread, have you ever received junk US emails? I have no clue as to how I started to receive emails from various UK marketers, including one from Lottoland ... :biglaugh::winkgrin:

19. coopmv

Same here. I have over 2000 LP's and CD's on vocal/choral works starting with Early music (Medieval and Renaissance) to early 20th century works by Mahler and Grieg ...

20. coopmv

I have found Marie Joao Pires to be a pretty good Bach pianist ...

vanhooserd likes this.
  21. password196

password196 Forum Resident

Pet Peeves:
    1 Organ Recitals
    2 "Pops" Concerts
    3 The Viola

Less Than Appreciated:
    1 Historically Informed Performance Practice
    2 Early Music
    3 Mr. Harnoncourt

bigstar87 and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

Well we definitely share the atonal music dislike! It really hurts me physically and mentally.

As for Opera, now that I have known you a little bit through this social network, I am sure certain arias and singers would definitely come close to your heart - if you would give them a chance....:wave:

Maybe you allow me to suggest a few...and this goes for our other members of the thread who are not too keen on opera! :wiggle:

Here's one performance I would like you to listen to when you have time, preferably watching her sing, please if possible, listen with earphones and concentrate on her passionate interpretation, the control she has in her breathing. It's an aria from Samson and Delilah by Camille Saint- Saens.
    I love this mezzo soprano, she has a beautiful voice and great technique. Plus really pretty too. Elina Garanca. I am a big fan.

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon Universal Japan DSD UCCG-51013 SHM-CD) 2016 .... recorded June 1966 and June 1972 .... classic recordings with a tremendous Symphony 8 as icing on the cake .... btw excellent sounding DSD transfer ....

Wes H, Eigenvector, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Is it OK to name performers (that could lead to heated discussions, though...) or do you want to limit this to composers and the music?

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP, surely one of the masterpieces of the past quarter century and, alas, the composer's swan song before his premature death in 1998. Good recording and performance, though it sounds just a little tentative to me, a little too careful perhaps.

[​IMG]

Soulpope and andolink like this.