Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Looks like around 30 albums on Discogs, including ones for Erato, EMI & CBS/Sony.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I would actually go with Lloyd Jones on Naxos for the symphonies. You really can't go wrong with the symphonic poems by Lloyd Jones as well and many of the poems are coupled with the symphonies. It looks like you can get them used for under a buck on Amazon.
    Keep in mind, Bax's symphonies IMO tend to meander somewhat and are disjointed at times. I think the way to start is a disc of his Tone Poems and maybe the 6th Symphony.

Wes H, Thomas R and bluemooze like this.
  3. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

I ordered this today!!

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think you will like it. You are set for all that is Debussy with that collection.

WriteFace likes this.
  5. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

6. My father (and all of his kin), as well as my mother, had me growing up on Country & Western music. There was not a classical recording in sight. (I still love '60, '70, and early '80s country, by the way.)

I became hooked on rock in the late '70s as my older cousins would play Beatles, KISS, Heart, Zep and various other rock gods. Still, there wasn't a classical record played.

In the early '80s Prince's music snagged me, and then I needed to hear all of this funk, R&B and Soul. No classical.

In 1986 I saw the film Amadeus. Say what you will about the film, but it portrayed a really hip dude from the 1700s, making him seem a bit like a rock star in his time, The music, though, was thoroughly sublime, and it helped that I bought into the little man who was a mouthpiece for god's songs. This was also the year of Metallica's Master of Puppets. People were saying Metallica was so fast and heavy. I was like, "Wait! This Mozart is just as fast, and just as heavy! It's only a difference in instruments."

One day I decided to sit down with my guitar and learn every part of K.361's Adagio. I then recorded parts on a 4-track, mixed those to one track, leaving me three more tracks, and so on, until I had the whole pieces laid down with electric guitar, really sustaining those notes to mimic the woodwinds, messing with the guitar's tone knobs to voice the different textures of oboes, clarinets, etc. When I was done, at that moment I realized how complex classical music was, and that rock, pop, blues, funk, whatever, no matter how fantastic the melodies, was a stripped down version of what classical music provided.

From there I simply dove in head first. I didn't abandon Prince, or the Beatles, or Metallica, or Beastie Boys, but for every album I bought in the "pop" genre, I would pick up some classical cat, like Chopin, Sibelius, JS Bach...and then on to Debussy, Philip Glass, Biber, and on and on...until I met this dude at a music store (the old baritone who knew way more about classical than anybody I've ever met), and then it snowballed further. I could go on, but I won't.

Needless to say, there are moments when I was a musical snack, and then there are those moments where I want a musical meal. Classical always provides the meal.

realgone, peter1, DeepFloyd11 and 7 others like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs:

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon "Musikfest" German Press 429 153-2) 1990 .... recorded 1964 .... Karajan in his prime with an unpretentious view on Brahms ....

bigstar87, vanhooserd, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  9. bluemooze

First listen to CD 13 from "The Choir Of St. John's College Cambridge - The Complete Argo Recordings" directed by George Guest on Decca.

"Victoria - Requiem Mass"

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H and ShallowMemory like this.
  10. bluemooze

First listen to a new arrival, "Monteverdi - Il Ritorno D'Ulisse In Patria" performed by La Venexiana directed by Claudio Cavina on Glossa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

andolink likes this.
  11. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

I'm very fond of the old Lyrita recordings of Bax. A good way to start is with symphony no 6.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  12. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Mine was Stravinsky's Histoire du Soldat, in 1971. I have written about it in a book about Stravinsky that will be published in October this year.

WriteFace and bluemooze like this.
  13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I started listening to classical music from an early age -at least six- as Pop was a member of the Concert Hall Record Club so we had many fine stereo records that went beyond say Chopin or Tchaikovsky Ballets to the dizzy heights of Mahler and Bruckner that he played originally on a stereo console and as time went on toward separates that sounded better. One side effect was the rekkid club did stereo 7 inch 33's of short pieces like Haydn's Trumpet Concerto or Beethoven overtures which were gifted to me as I sat listening enraptured his 'big' classical records and it wasn't long before I was in my teens buying classical lps and taping concerts off the radio of major works with the first being a recording of Rimsky's Scheherazade a used copy of the British HMV Concert Classics recording by Kletzki and the Philharmonia that I have on cd now having been introuduced to it around ten

DeepFloyd11, crispi, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Argo Years box.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, Thomas R, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

16. ShallowMemory

Friday grand performances...
    [​IMG]
    Boccherini, L.Various works Decca 438 377-2 2cd set 1993
    Okay my copy got Deccaized by some kind person at Decca even though it says in the booklet in small print "This compilation (c) 1993 Philips Classics Production" and these performances are ones you'd never associate with Decca which really irritates when it was those Philips people who came up with this compilation of mainly whole works that actually works as a introduction to this composer who is neglected on record.
    We get two Guitar Quintets, the B Flat Cello Concerto, Symphonies 3 and 5, the String Quartet in D and the infamous Minuet from the String Quintet in E all on two discs in great performances.
    Just under two and half hours of bliss!

Mowgli, EVOLVIST, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Here is my very first set of Boccherini's recordings, purchased over 30 years ago ...

[​IMG]

crispi, bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought that box a month or so after it came out and it still has the shrink wrap on it. I have too many boxes

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

BTW, for the European participants of this thread, it appears this box may only be available on Amazon Germany as download. Physical CD's will not be available ...

20. ShallowMemory

21. coopmv

22. bluemooze

23. coopmv

I think they used to record exclusively for Philips in the old days ...

bluemooze likes this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I put my box buying on hold for a while.

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Mucho Boccherini here. I love this box.

[​IMG]

Mowgli and bluemooze like this.