Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Right, but were any of the others that used the Master tape?

I'm going to listen to this collection off Spotify during the workweek, which has the complete cycle in it. No clue what the source is:

[​IMG]

4. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Lovely. That should provide many years of listening pleasure ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  5. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

6. DeepFloyd11

I will let you know how it goes. The TT is on its way from Germany apparently. The tonearm and cartridge are waiting here already at the store. I called the dealer and asked if they can unpack the box with us present. I want to take pictures and a short video to have a memory of that very special moment - and then when it comes home to be set up with the amps etc... So excited for my husband. Plus I can have my TT finally back!!! :help: hahahaha.

Then in the future he can tinker with his old Sota Sapphire TT, get the parts for its necessary maintenance and service the old SME 3009 tonearm - to have it in perfect condition again. That would be at least another $ 1500 CAD, so it will have to wait for a while, since we have plans to travel to Europe in the fall.... I wish I would play the lottery so I could win! :D

Eigenvector, julesd68 and bluemooze like this.
  7. I have that recording in Deutsche Grammophon's Mozart 111 set, I haven't heard it in a long time.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  8. coopmv

Does Canada operate on 110 v AC as well?

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice. :righton:

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I listened to the Skrowaczewski Bruckner set on AllMusic, and it's also on my list, along with Gielen's Bruckner cycle. Have been listening to quite a few of those German regional orchestras lately, Wand with the Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester and the NDR Sinfonieorchester (his Great Recordings set), Gielen with the SWR Sinfonieorchester in Mahler, and Skrowaczewski with the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Saarbrücken in Bruckner.

Soulpope likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know it's the same all over the US and Canada. Europe, on the other hand, is on 240V AC/50 Hz, which I'm told seems to be more stable (I have no idea, I'm not an expert, far from it) .

12. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Ockeghem: The Two Three-Voice Masses - Music of the Middle Ages" performed by Schola Discantus on Lyrichord.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H and timind like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing CD61 - Cantata No. 201 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  14. coopmv

I knew about the European voltage as I tried to buy a Tandberg open-reel deck directly from Norway when that company was liquidating its inventory through an Oslo based retailer and the salesman discussed the voltage conversion with me over email. Time flies, that was some twenty years ago ...

@DeepFloyd11, Your hubby's new turntable package must include a voltage conversion, though it should be relatively simple for a turntable ...

15. coopmv

Here is the digital evil twin ... :evil:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  16. coopmv

I think most of SE Asia and northern Asia excluding China are also on 220/240. I am clueless about Latin America, India and the mideast ...

17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Beyond the Beethoven cycle? Yes. In the early days (about 30 years ago), Chesky publicized they had struck deals to gain access to master tapes from the Reader's Digest and RCA catalogs for their own remasterings. I have no idea if that applies to every remastering they did. Chesky has also produced many original recordings--particularly jazz. If you're just cruising through their catalog on Spotify, I'm not sure there is any way to tell for certain what the original source was.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

19. coopmv

I have more jazz titles from Chesky than classical, which I last checked over 20 years ago but was not all that impressed with the offerings. I was hoping for some more big-name conductors such as Barbirolli and perhaps Mackerras ...

20. DeepFloyd11

Ohh I am sure German companies have figured it out... I am sure it's not the first time they are sending TT this side of the Atlantic...:edthumbs:

21. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Goldberg Variations from the following box for a first listen and the performance was on harpsichord for a change ...

[​IMG]

Mowgli and bluemooze like this.
  22. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Desprez: Missa L'Homme Arme Sexti Toni - Chansons" performed by
    Ensemble Obsidienne on Phaia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

This appears to be only SACD (Not hybrid). Any idea if a redbook version is available? Thanks.

24. J.S. Bach on period instruments or modern instruments? Which do you prefer?

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze likes this.