Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

I listen some in the car & very rarely in our upstairs bedroom, where I can get halfway decent reception with my vintage Pioneer receiver, which powers my mid-70s small Advent speakers. Apparently I would need to have a roof antenna to listen downstairs.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have spent 2 - 3 hours shoveling snow over 15 years ago and that was why I went out to get my Honda snowblower. I was just tired of spending so much time on snow-job. It is far more beneficial working out 2 -3 hours at the gym ...

3. coopmv

Without a rooftop antenna, I doubt even my Tandberg TR-2075MKII receiver, which has a superb FM tuner, will provide the best reception for NYC classical FM station ...

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

You're talking now above £13.99 per reel from the tape distributors.:sigh:
    An' that's plastic reel.

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

One has BBC Radio Three for classical and Classic FM, a commercial station for Classical 'lolipops'

Bubbamike likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My father-in-law broke his back shoveling snow. He was in his late 80s and had osteoporosis. His back broke trying to throw a shovelful.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  7. coopmv

The price has doubled over the past twenty years and I bet it is pretty much the same at these shores, though I have not checked the prices in a long time since I stocked up back in the day on quality tapes. For small reels, you always get plastic reel.

8. coopmv

I can receive the BBC broadcasts over the internet, though I wonder if they are real-time or delayed ...

9. coopmv

I knew two people who died from shoveling snow after they suffered from massive heart attack right at the scene ... :shake::(

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Lassus - Chansons" performed by Ensemble Clement Janequin led by Dominique Visse on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

Radio 3 is in real-time streamed from the website - as are the other BBC radio stations available online. There’s also access to the previous 30 days of programmes.

Within the UK Radio 3 is streamed at 320k AAC, it’s a lower rate than that if you’re outside the UK. Last summer the Proms were broadcast losslessly in FLAC, fingers crossed they’ll do the same this year.

12. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Heroines of Love & Loss" performed by Ruby Hughes (soprano), Mime Yamahiro Brinkmann (cello) and Jonas Nordberg (lute) on BIS.

Works by Barbara Strozzi, Claudia Sessa, Francesca Caccini, Lucrezia Vizzana, John Bennet, Purcell, Kapsberger, and Vivaldi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

It looks like the best way to receive the streaming is still via the computer since my internet tuner may only be able to receive MP3 streaming. I have never received streaming in FLAC format. Do I need some decoding software on my computer to receive the BBC broadcast streamed in FLAC format?

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Vivarte box.

[​IMG]

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

No software required, just a web browser - Safari on a Mac in my case. Other than that just a USB cable from the Mac to my DAC. As I mentioned the BBC only used FLAC for the duration of the Proms, so I’m hoping they’ll repeat the experiment this year.

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Argo Years box. Includes the String Symphony #12 in G Minor.

[​IMG]

17. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Frederic Chopin: Valses" performed by Laure Favre-Kahn on Transart Live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

So is this Marriner Argo Years box essentially the Argo Original Jacket box?

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

More or less. The back covers aren't reproduced, nor are the original liner notes in the booklet.

20. coopmv

The LP jacket front covers are far more attractive and relevant. The back covers with the super-small font size is almost impossible to read as I found out with the Glenn Gould Original Jacket box ...

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

True, but it looks cool. The third Living Stereo box has the best of both worlds-back covers are reproduced and the original liner notes are in the book.

bigstar87 likes this.
  22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP. A fierce Sonata and a rather withdrawn view of On an Overgrown Path.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I bought the original LP of that in 1977 and played it often back then. I should play it more now. Inspiring music, as I recall.

[​IMG]

I hope the CD includes the original notes of producer, John McClure, who describes the incredible difficulties CBS encountered in making this recording.
    They brought choruses from America, recording equipment from Switzerland, brass players from Germany and a Rieger organ from Austria... all of which was met by resistance from officials of the Italian customs and the Church. It's a wonder it was ever made.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

"Haunting" indeed! Glad you found it on the radio-- which is a rare thing to find such music played on-air these days.
    My preferred recording is this German/Telefunken LP, with Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting.

[​IMG]

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Most radio stations have a web simul-cast which you can tune in with your web browser. I have an old "Squeezebox" network music player (originally made by Slim Devices, later taken over by Logitech) which I use to help sort/surf through classical stations from all over the world.

bluemooze likes this.