Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD EMI Dutch Press CDM 2 53941 2) 1983 .... recorded November 1970 @ Barking Town Hall, London .... Jascha Horenstein - a highly esteemed Mahlerian - with a celebral and deeply moving account of Symphony 4 ....

layman, Marzz, royzak2000 and 5 others like this.
  2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]
    (CD Harmonia Mundi Austrian Press HMC 902202) 2016 .... Alexander Melnikov`s "less is more" approach (IMO) works perfectly with the Prokofiev Sonatas .... exemplary recording sound too ....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Marzz, royzak2000, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Argo Years box.

[​IMG]

4. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

F. Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 90 in C major
    La Petite Bande/Sigiswald Kuijken

[​IMG]

Marzz, EVOLVIST, royzak2000 and 4 others like this.
  5. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Wolfgang Rihm: Gejagte Form (1995/96)

[​IMG]

Marzz, royzak2000, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I own a pair of Otari machines (one MX 5050 MiniPro), the second a MX 5050 B II later model. Around the place, there's a Teac A 6100 hiding, and a pair of ReVox PR 99 Mk II machines undergoing restoration, and a A 77 Mk 4 which is also being restored.

7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Box time in chunks...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yet another part of the Karajan Official REMASTERED edition, todays subject is CD's 3,4 and 5 - the Tchaikovsky symphonies 4 thru 6 with the ballet suites as performed by the Philharmonia orchestra. You may remember these were issued in a three cd set around 1993 by EMI and were originally on UK Columbia to which as a kid I did buy from table top sales everyone then wanted the stereo Berlin P.O remakes for DG. You got stares for wanting mono recordings back then.
    The sixth always was stereo, very early stereo, Swan lake and Sleeping beauty were retaped in the late 50's for stereo and the stereo session for the fourth was with the Berliners.
    As with the other part of this edition, the remastering is better than previous attempts removing any murkiness.

8. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I grew up with 80's heavy metal so tapping is virtuosity! :laugh:
    Much respect to you for learning that - it is very beautifully played ... :righton:

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That's not me! That's Philip Hii, the person who transcribed it. I can play it at about 80% of his tempo at the moment. It's relentlessly difficult, but it pales in difficulty compared to this!

bluemooze likes this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

@Wes H, Looks like you are a huge fan of E. Power Biggs. He is a bit too old-fashioned for me ... :hide:

Here is the only LP twofer in my collection that has some Biggs' recording. I bought the twofer probably around 1975 when I first got into classical music and is a recording I no longer listen to ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

E-Power had a great name though ... :D

Interesting to see that he was British born and actually studied at our illustrious Royal Academy of Music!

vanhooserd and Wes H like this.
  12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I knew it wasn't you - just impressed you are taking on the challenge ... :)

Bachtoven likes this.
  13. coopmv

I have nothing against British organists but just do not care much for E. Power and actually thought he was American until a short while ago.

I have the Complete Bach Organ Works by Peter Hurford and Margaret Phillips, who studied under the great Marie-Claire Alain. I also have many CD singles by Simon Preston but not his Complete Bach Organ Works box ...

crispi likes this.
  14. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I was a bit surprised myself - just had a look on wiki earlier ...
    " Biggs immigrated to the United States in 1930. In 1932, he took up a post at Christ Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he lived for the rest of his life."

15. coopmv

The American Cambridge Christ Church is no match for the British Cambridge Christ Church though ...

[​IMG]

But the church might have been rebuilt.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I would have to respectfully agree - King's College and St John's Cambridge would be the place to be ...

17. coopmv

Strongly :agree:

[​IMG]

18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Not forgetting Oxford, my birth town, with Christ Church Cathedral Choir - one of the few all male voice choirs remaining.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently finished watching the "Endeavour" TV series. They seemed to have taken care to visually highlight Oxford. Very nice. :)

Wes H, royzak2000 and julesd68 like this.
  20. bluemooze

My Man. :righton:

21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

It is indeed a lovely place. Just a shame it is so insanely busy now, but still a great place to visit.

Wes H likes this.
  22. bluemooze

First listen to CD 16 from "Mercury Living Presence Vol. 1".

"Frederick Fennell Conducts Sousa" performed by the Eastman Wind Ensemble.

Edit: I find it hard to imagine living in the not too long ago times when the only music I would have heard would be on Saturday afternoons at the park bandstand.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Wes H and ShallowMemory like this.
  23. bluemooze

First listen to CD 13 from "RCA Living Stereo Vol. 2".

"The Nutcracker" performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Fritz Reiner.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, bigstar87, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  24. ShallowMemory

The entrance doesn't match the building and I'd question the all glass construction although some newer places of worship may have doors with mainly glass expanses

25. ShallowMemory

He did record the organ at Adlington Hall too between the towns of Macclesfield and Stockport in neighbouring Cheshire.

julesd68 likes this.