Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Ugh. That is why?? I wondered all these years. And true, I forgot about their collaboration the 50s. I believe Blue Note pressed some Vogue productions as well as vice versa.

A real pity, to be honest. That is why Blue Note vinyl is the rarest and most expensive of those labels, at least when it comes to the original era. After Lion retired, Liberty started pressing records in Europe, often from the same plates.

There is now an Alfred Lion Bridge in Berlin, btw, around the place where he was born. I discovered it by accident two years ago. The house he was born in still stands.

vanhooserd likes this.
  2. crispi

It's okay that they do, in my opinion. At least this way they get to experience some excellent interpretations on the pretense of audiophile sound. I find it more regrettable when people dismiss entire labels based on the sound. But hey, that's fine, too, since they're probably not in it for the music anyway, just for the sound.

bigstar87 and Wes H like this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

It is OK to me, too. All I want is that Karajan’s discs had been just better recorded. :D

Thomas R and crispi like this.
  4. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

Stokowski’s Firebird on EMI is one of the handful of best recordings of Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. It sounds fantastically realistic and it happens to be the very first stereo recording of the ensemble.

5. crispi

That was Burkowitz engineering, right? Ever since you mentioned him, I got out and read his book(s).

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

That’s right. He used just a stereo microphone (Neumann SM2) for it.

crispi likes this.
  7. Soulpope

Soulpope Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon 429 765-2) 1990 .... recorded September 1989 .... beneath Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orchestra (IMO) the most successful Brahms cycle of the 1980`s and this outstanding Symphony 3 likely the highpoint of these enlightening Abbado/Berliner Philharmoniker Brahms performances ....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A few historical facts and historical context: Admiral De Ruyter wasn't following an invitation with his Raid on the Medway in 1667: Raid on the Medway - Wikipedia
    Dutch Stadholder Willem III, however, was indeed invited when he invaded England in 1688.

julesd68 likes this.
  9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Looks like an ordinary storm to me, but local weather seems to think it's a catastrophe and no one's heading downtown-- so, some catastrophe music (the Berg op. 6).

[​IMG]

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Sound-The Analogue Years box. The bonus tracks are Rachmaninov 2 by Solti/Katchen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Marzz, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

True. The Dutch were not invited for the Battle of Medway. The Dutch attacked whilst King Charles had laid up his fleet and peace negotiations were in progress...... er hum..... :whistle:

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's not the whole story, King Charles' fleet had been laid up due to expenditure restrictions and he also had a hidden agenda (his contacts with France, an adversary of the Dutch Republic). The Dutch seized the opportunity to strike first and end the war: Raid on the Medway - Wikipedia

Let's go back to the music :)

13. Soulpope

Soulpope Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(CD Testament UK Press T-1473) 2011 .... recorded September 1960 @ No. 1 Studio Abbey Road London .... taped 12 years before his classic recording for DG in 1972, Marizio Pollini delivers a captivating account of the Chopin Etudes - probably less wordly-wise, but self-contained nevertheless ....

DeepFloyd11, SteelyTom, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  14. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Universal will release a Rafael Kubelik complete recordings on DG later this year. Did you know that Kubelik was a very good composer and that he only recorded one of his own pieces for DG, his Four Forms for Strings with English Chamber Orchestra. A splendid piece.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, bigstar87, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For some reason I never got into Pollini's pre-DG recordings, don't know why. I did get his "Complete" DG box (it's no longer complete) recently for a nice price, warts and all, but his early work has eluded me somehow.

16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yes let's :)
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Bubbamike and julesd68 like this.
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

It is a great pity at least to me that Pollini did not have a chance to record Stockhausen’s klavierstueck.

SteelyTom, Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  18. Remco Sanders

Remco Sanders Well-Known Member

Since it is almost Easter, many performances of Bachs' Matthäus-Passion are coming up, to get in the mood: I'm listening to this version of Kuijken and La Petite Bande, a very nice version.

[​IMG]

SteelyTom, Marzz, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  19. crispi

Why not write him a letter? He might consider it.

julesd68 and J.A.W. like this.
  20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

In, warm the stereo up and fix a glass of milk...
    [​IMG]
    Bizet, Georges: Symphony in C, Jeux d'enfants and Scénes Bohémiennes. New Zealand S.O. cond Donald Johanos. 1994 Naxos 8.553027
    Enjoyable atmospheric performances recorded at the Lower Hutt Town Hall, Wellington, N.Z.

Marzz, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

22. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

In my never ending quest for the perfect Four Seasons I have another recent challenger.
    This time it's the 'Dresden version with winds' performed by Federico Guglielmo on violin and L'Arte dell'Arco on period instruments.

So far I'm really enjoying this version which is trying to do something new with the work. It's effectively a're-writing' by Guglielmo
    featuring "a full complement of solo wind instruments. The Spring, for example, is assigned recorders, oboes, horns, and a bassoon"
    I must say it is performed with great integrity and zest; the new approach adds plenty of colour that is fresh to the ear.

Apparently it is also the first vinyl release for cpo which I believe is the in-house label of the retailer jpc. It is extremely reasonably priced, which makes me wonder how much care and attention they have taken over the transfer, but for now I cannot comment on the sound quality as I'm just trialling it on spoti ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mowgli, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

The Lion & The Wolff were a magnificent pair.

crispi likes this.
  24. crispi

Let's hope they use the newer remasterings for his Mahler recordings, instead of the old ones. They are much better. But I wouldn't hold my breath. DG has a tendency to use only masterings that have appeared on CD before, and not convert their hi-res transfers to redbook. Which is a pity.

bigstar87 likes this.
  25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs: