Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Played this for the first time in a while - excellent.

[​IMG]

Greg Arkadin, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon German Press 459 610-2) 1999 .... recorded May 1998 @ Orchestra Hall Chicago ..... a perfectly detailed account of Mahler`s Symphony 1 ....

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1 from Spotify Premium. Symphonies 1 & 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Bachtoven, ToddBD and 5 others like this.
  5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Naxos 8.573469) 2016 .... June 2015 @ Wyastone Leys Concert Hall Monmouthm UK ..... superb Rachmaninov recital .... excellent piano sound and a budget price makes this easily a winner for classical piano enthusiasts ....

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Ravel: Orchestral & Virtuoso Piano" performed by Vincent Larderet on Ars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Stravinsky : Agon from A Balanchine Album - Nonesuch WG CD
    Irving plays the composer’s 1957 effort in a very sachlich way. Superb.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  9. coopmv

According to the following wikipage, Lars Ulrik Mortensen actually studied harpsichord with Trevor Pinnock ...

Lars Ulrik Mortensen - Wikipedia

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  10. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky Symphony 1 (Winter Dreams) - Markevitch / LSO - Philips SAL 3578 (1966)

What a find this was on my recent trip to Harrogate - I cannot believe this was in a ‘bargain’ pile!
    Look at the near mint cover with its lovely naive artwork. The pristine thick slab of 1966 vinyl on a maroon Philips label is also a true survivor.

It’s an immensely enjoyable seasonal reverie that I actually find rather warming. There’s a real energy coupled with a charming Slavonic romance that Markevitch brings to this reading. The slow movement is treated with a tender tranquillity that I find impossible not to be moved by, before the work builds up to a climax with an irresistible and forceful momentum.

The recording has admirable depth and dynamics, with the strings and brass showing a slight coarseness in louder sections, but the interpretation is so rewarding it’s easy to forgive.

Utterly compelling. I won’t need another Winter Dreams. :)

[​IMG]

11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Vivaldi - Heinz Holliger & I Musici - 4 Oboe Concertos - Philips 9500 044 (1976)

I can’t say enough good things about my man ‘Double H’! :D

Anyone who loves baroque music needs to discover his abilities.
    He plays with an almost liquid fluidity, seemingly so gentle yet fully formed and expressive, with every note exquisitely phrased.
    In this way even the 'lesser' works are endowed with a charm that it’s impossible not to be won over by.

Enjoyable from start to finish; I’ll be picking up pretty much all of his 1970’s vinyl recordings.

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

I used to see many Igor Markevitch's recordings under the Philips Festivo Series and am almost certain I saw this recording back in the day. The following image confirms it ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Beat Furrer: Spur, for piano and string quartet (1998)
    kammerensemble neue musik berlin

[​IMG]

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Other Tchaikovsky symphonies interpreted by Markevitch are also very fine, especially Manfred.

15. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

L. van Beethoven: Trio for piano, violin and cello No. 7, Op. 97 ‘Archduke’

[​IMG]

a desert island disc if ever there was one

16. coopmv

The current "Double H" has a totally different meaning and a very different nationality, as @Scopitone will cheerfully tell you! :agree::winkgrin:

bluemooze and julesd68 like this.
  17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Time for a spot of...
    [​IMG]
    Sibelius: Violin Concerto, Serenade 1 & 2 with Humoresque Staakskapelle Dresden, cond. Previn with A-S Mutter on violin. 1995 DG 447 895-2
    One of a few performances of this work I have - Kennedy, Ferras (cd) and Pike (sacd) - cos I can't get enough of it.

18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

That's good to know. I have Svetlanov for Manfred - it's a long time since I listened to it but I remember it as being first rate ...

19. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm led to believe by my Penguin guide that the Philips engineers tried to improve the sound in this re-issue but I've not heard it so can't comment!

20. coopmv

Looks like you have a real growing collection of recordings by Ms. Mutter. I have fewer than a dozen of her recordings ...

21. coopmv

You now have the original issue and the Festivo Series is the re-issue on the Philips budget line. I have not checked on the availability of this recording on UniversalMusic CD but there is an EMI Icon box out there ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Some Ravel this morning on the TT. Chansons Madécasses (Songs of Madagascar) 1925-26; Sites auriculaires for 2 pianos, 1897; Frontispice for 5 hands (!), 1918; and the Sonata for Violin & Cello, 1920-22.
    Paul Jacobs (piano) and friends perform.

I would love to have seen this performance of the "Frontispice for 5 hands," as Gilbert Kalish played one piano while Paul Jacobs shared the bench with Teresa Sterne on the other piano. (Teresa Sterne was the creative director of Nonesuch Records from 1965 - 1979.)

This 1978 Nonesuch cover may be a bit worn, but the vinyl inside is still in great shape. Beautifully performed and recorded, this album is a classic.
    [​IMG]
    Cover art: Fatata te Miti (By the Sea) by French artist Paul Gauguin (1892).

Technical credits:
    Engineering & musical supervision-- Marc J. Aubort, Joanna Nickrenz (Elite Recordings)
    Mastering-- Robert C. Ludwig (Masterdisk)
    Pianos-- Badwin (SD-10)

23. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Frederick Delius: North Country Sketches I-IV

[​IMG]

24. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Well worth listening to for Jan DeGaeteani's singing

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky. Yesterday, Symphony No.2... On the turntable today, Symphony No.4. Same Melodiya/Angel series with Svetlanov conducting.

[​IMG]