Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

BTW, quite a few tracks on this CD are works by Erkki-Sven Tüür, an Estonian composer. I survived the modern classical as it is not all percussions like most of the American modern classical music I have heard ...

Erkki-Sven Tüür - Wikipedia

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

Looks like DiscWasher is still around and available on Amazon, though I have no idea where that RCA connection came from ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

How cool! I really like the cover art work, it seems to accurately depict the amazing dynamic of the recordings....Love it!

Wes H likes this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

crispi, Soulpope, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  5. coopmv

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs: One of my most fave Chopin recordings!

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That’s interesting because he’s usually pretty heavy on percussion.

7. coopmv

Here is the track listing for that CD. I did not find the music as "offensive" as what I heard many moons ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. coopmv

@DeepFloyd11, I am not as familiar with Tamas Vasary as you are, particularly when it comes to Mozart. I wonder if the following recording is any good?

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  9. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Did you see the more recent 'Master and Commander' with Russell Crowe?
    Excellent film, and superbly filmed battle sequences ...

Bubbamike, Mowgli and bluemooze like this.
  10. coopmv

No. I rarely ever watch any modern films. I tend to go for classics ...

11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Indeed she is. I still haven't opened her recent Vivaldi lp that I bought recently ... :shake:

12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I can appreciate that, but this one is well worth a look, especially if you like the 'genre' ...

Baroque likes this.
  13. coopmv

I think the following recording should be very interesting as I really do not know many of the conductors Sol Gabetta has recorded with but Lorin Maazel is certainly a known quantity to me ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

I just like Lawrence Olivier, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton. I am particularly fond of the movie Becket and bought the DVD after the original movie was restored a decade ago ...

bluemooze likes this.
  15. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes, it does look interesting - I didn't know that Ms Gabetta had made quite so many recordings!
    She only really came to my attention after watching her play the Elgar on one of the Proms live broadcasts the other year.
    I was highly impressed.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I can't argue with your taste in actors! I'm not even sure I have seen Becket ... will investigate.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not everyone likes historic dramas, and Becket is set in the 12th Century. I haven't seen the movie and have no idea if it is historically accurate, many historic films aren't.

Mowgli likes this.
  18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm sure it won't be historically accurate, but an interesting curiosity for me - I think the acting will be worthwhile ...
    I've not been to Canterbury Cathedral (scene of Becket's murder) for 30 years or so and am hoping to revisit in the summer.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Like much of England's medieval history (and beyond) it was a tumultuous age, but very interesting, and so is the story of Becket and King Henry II, the first Plantagenet.

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Sibelius collection, a long-time fave ...

[​IMG]

floydfan, Mr Bass, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

One of the composers whose works Karajan excelled in - well, maybe not in everything, he never recorded Symphony 3.

22. coopmv

I actually like the Sibelius Symphonies conducted by Paavo Berglund with the Helsinki Philharmonic as well ...

There is now a Warner box. I bought the CD's as singles when they were released.

[​IMG]

sassi and bluemooze like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Don't have those; I have Berglund's Icon set with the Sibelius Symphonies (and some other stuff) with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. He recorded the cycle three times, with the Bournemouth and Helsinki orchestras, and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.

24. coopmv

I don't have the full Bournemouth cycle and do not have the cycle with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe at all. I have all the cycles by Colin Davis and cycles by a few other conductors ...

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've never heard it, but it seems his last cycle, the one with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, was quite different from the earlier ones, leaner, more detailed and transparent, less "romantic" (for want of a better term). Some say it benefitted from the smaller ensemble (the COE, that is). Made me curious, but it's still on my wants list and I never pulled the trigger.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018