Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Sibelius collection, another long-term fave ...

[​IMG]

@Wes H, I know you are a big fan of Sir Colin conducting the Sibelius Symphonies with the BSO. While I have all the Sibelius cycles by Sir Colin, I also enjoy the cycle by Paavo Berglund with the Helsinki Philharmonic. How do you like that cycle?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

3. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

That set is corduroy. Non directional. Find a NOS made with fibers.
    Used LP stores sometimes still have real ones.

4. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:evil:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now on the TT: Haydn Symphonies 95 & 96, played by the London Philharmonic, directed by Eugen Jochum.
    DG released LP from 1974, manufactured in Germany. It's "big band" Haydn, for sure... but for these late "London" symphonies, it's the way I prefer it.

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Paul Badura-Skoda and Joerg Demus made a great team back in the day. :righton:

8. coopmv

My Eugen Jochum 6-LP box includes the above recording ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

I already have the original DiscWasher record and stylus brushes from the 80's ...

I just ordered the highly rated AudioQuest Anti-Static Record Brush

[​IMG]

sberger and bluemooze like this.
  10. Mowgli

Black Sails on Starz had a 4 season run. The complete series is available on Netflix, Hulu or Prime (CRS).
    It mixed RLS's Treasure Island characters into "actual" West Indies historical Pirate action/drama.
    It's (mostly) very exciting and visceral with plenty of sea battles and strategy.
    Very well done <--good for TV but never do that to a steak
    Black Sails (TV series) - Wikipedia

Last night I read with The Musical Offering CD18 playing
    My current life soundtrack is a violin sonata from CD19
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I also like Szell's "big band" Haydn.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. coopmv

This is my first CD big box and still the biggest box in my classical music collection ...

BTW, how do you like this BC Bach big box?

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

Checking the Archivmusic site, the reviewer notes that Berglund recorded the Sibelius cycle three times... and he recommends the first set with Bournemouth SO as the best of the lot. Here is his rationale:
    "[Paavo Berglund's] second cycle, with the Helsinki Philharmonic, has slightly better playing but rather harsh, early digital sonics. His last run, with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, as the name of the ensemble suggests, is hyper-detailed but small in scale, designed more for the connoisseur interested in tiny subtleties rather than an all-encompassing view of the music. This first series of recordings [w/the Bournemouth SO] offers the best compromise between spontaneity and Berglund’s love of studied precision, and remains a reference edition."

Would you agree with that?

14. coopmv

I actually only have a partial Bournemouth Sibelius cycle. My outboard DAC may have tamed some of the harsh digital sonics in the Helsinki version and the music sounds fine to me ...

I listened to the Karajan's Sibelius recorded with EMI around the same time yesterday and the recording sounds fine as well.

15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have the Audioquest with the gold contacts. It seems to pick up dust better than the old version if used properly (which can be a bit tricky).

Many people rave about the old Discwasher brush/system (and I had one back in the '70s), but I never had much success with it.

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I see. Well if the Helsinki recording is tolerable and the playing is better (as that reviewer stated), the it would be the version I'd seek. I'll put it on the Wish List. ;)

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ha, that's the review from David Hurwitz on the Classics Today site. He's generally not too keen on smaller ensembles playing late romantic stuff. As I noted upthread I haven't heard the COE cycle, but now and then I find it refreshing to hear leaner, more transparant and detailed performances. I wouldn't want to be without Berglund's "traditional" cycle with the Bournemouth orchestra, though.

18. Mowgli

I only have a large fistful of single/double Bach CD sets to compare to but I like it a lot.
    I've enjoyed the 1st 19 CDs* and expect the rest will be comparable.

Now - "Can I have more Violin Sonatas (CD20) please?" - Tiny Tim holding a soupbowl

*Except flute sonatas. I almost never enjoy flute sonatas but it's Bach so at least it wasn't painful.
    I didn't expect to enjoy the Lute Works as much as I did but I did.
    It's my first listen to over 80% of these works and I almost regret** avoiding Bach forever but now it's all mine.

**almost regret
    Edward Abbey Quote

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I saw a few episodes of "Black Sails" and liked them, but I couldn't keep up with Starz' schedule at the time. Now I don't have a subscription to Starz, so... :shrug:

Mowgli likes this.
  20. Mowgli

I just checked and it's available on Hulu :tiphat:

...and The Pirate Bay probably

Black Sails, Pirate Bay, yuk yuk

Wes H likes this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, David Hurwitz... and I should have included a credit for the reviewer I was quoting. Thanks for noting that.
    Usually I prefer a larger ensemble for late romantic works; but since I've not compared all of these versions, I can't say how the scaled-down COE would affect my preference for one recording over the other.
    However, I appreciate your input; it has given me more to consider.

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Absolutely! Szell's Haydn is superb.
    Davis with the Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam, (on Philips) is another great "big band" Haydn that I wouldn't want to be without.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  23. coopmv

Now playing CD1

Beethoven Symphony No. 7 Staatskapelle Berlin June 1941
    Overture "Leonore III" Concertgebouw September 1943
    Wagner Die Meistersinger, Prelude to Acts I & III Staatskapelle Berlin February & April 1939

from the following box for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

BTW, this may be among the very few recordings where Karajan conducted the CO ...

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

I have a number of Haydn Symphonies by Colin Davis with the CO and they are excellent ...

25. Mowgli

single/double/triple/quadruple/um, what's a nifty way to say a 20 pack?
    Also another few dozen between the 3 Archiv, HDM100CD, Baroque Masterworks, Leonhardt, etc boxes & LPs. I need a bigger house
    [​IMG]