Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

BBC Music Magazine CD from 2007.

[​IMG]

2. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Found this recording on Spotify and I am listening to it.

Thomas R and bluemooze like this.
  3. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

Thank you! I will read the linked article.

ubertrout likes this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have a few of these BBC Music Magazine CD's when I was given a gift subscription in the early 2000's ...

5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Some of them are really good. I have some interesting recordings by Menuhin, Toscanini, Horowitz, Arrau, Curzon, etc..

6. coopmv

I first saw the name Paul Lewis on one of the BBC Music Mag CD's I received. He is now a major pianist for the HM label ...

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I listened to this one a while ago.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This one is in my listening queue for this week.

Soulpope and Wes H like this.
  9. coopmv

IIRC, Paul Lewis recorded the Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycle ...

WriteFace likes this.
  10. coopmv

I have this BBC Music Mag CD ... :righton:

ibanez_ax likes this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Dunno if he classifies as "classical" but I am looking for some good John Dowland collections. Any aficionados out there can help?

12. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

I just got in today the Gergiev Shostakovich 3/10 SACD today. Listening to it right now. My understanding is 3 has not seen a lot of play time, which is a bonus but I got jt for the 10.
    It was also rather cheap, $7.50

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

I have the following Dowland box ...

[​IMG]

Wes H and AlmanacZinger like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, he did. His cycle got mostly good reviews in the UK, but mixed ones elsewhere. I got the set soon after it came out, didn't like it very much and sold it, and re-bought it a couple of years later, thinking I might have missed something - turned out I hadn't, I'm still not fond of it but didn't sell it this time :)

15. coopmv

I have not bothered since I have enough Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycles ...

16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I am particularly interested in this set. However I heard there are two versions of it (a Decca set and another), with the original being the superior of the two. Know anything about that?

17. coopmv

I have the L'Oiseau-Lyre box. The newer box may be a Decca box but they should sound the same ...

18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I read somewhere (amazon reviews?) that the Decca version was the original one. Not sure. I generally try to confirm via Discogs, but I've noticed they're not complete with their listings for everyone.

Regardless I will be picking that set up first and looking to augment it with others.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I also have quite a few Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycles, but I love those 32 and keep looking out for more - good ones, that is :)

I have complete cycles by Claudio Arrau (1 complete and 1 incomplete), Vladimir Ashkenazy, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, Ronald Brautigam (fortepiano), Alfred Brendel (2), Annie Fischer, Richard Goode, Friedrich Gulda (Brilliant Classics/Amadeo), François-Frédéric Guy, Wilhelm Kempff (2, mono and stereo), Stephen Kovacevich, Paul Lewis, Andrea Lucchesini, Yves Nat, Maurizio Pollini, András Schiff and Arthur Schnabel, and incomplete ones by Emil Gilels, Murray Perahia, Rudolf Serkin and Solomon, plus lots of Sviatoslav Richter performances and single discs.

Wugged likes this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That looks more interesting than the albums I’ve seen on HM.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The complete lite music boxes by Nigel North on Naxos and Jakob Lindberg originally on BIS but available on Brilliant Classics are both good

bluemooze and AlmanacZinger like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I found the review. Posting for any interested parties:

At least two Amazon Marketplace sellers don't sell this version when you order. Instead, they send a US-manufactured reissue on the Musical Heritage Society (MHS) label. I bought twice and returned them for that reason. On the third time I ordered directly from Amazon, and received the correct set, i.e. what the product page lists: a Decca label issue (manufactured in Germany). It's the same music if you don't care about the labels, but I don't like getting a MHS issue when I order a Decca import.

With that said, this is a fantastic set, worth more than the price. I have most of this on the original L'Oiseau-Lyre vinyl records, and I still play them regularly. The gem of the entire set is the Second Booke of Songs 1600. There are some great compositions, and the ensemble performance is absolutely first rate and magical. I have an extensive collection of early music, and this is some of the best of it. The instrumental pieces (solo lute and consorts) are wonderful as well.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I think it's amusing that the Irish and English fight over Dowland. :laugh:

24. coopmv

L'Oiseau-Lyre was absorbed into Decca. It used to be the early music division of Decca.

25. coopmv

I did not know there is an MHS version. But MHS went out of business many years ago ...