Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, if I was a teen in the '80s it would have been a very different thing! But I was 25 to 35 then. I've ordered a copy of "Spirt of Eden."

JeffMo likes this.
  2. Lonson

Sounds like you're keeping busy with work and recreation and that's a good thing. Glad the home health is stable.

I'm trying not to worry. What's going on with my wife is related to her uterus and her doctors are not sure what is going on but assure us it's not "something dangerous to her overall health." I'm taking those words literally and she's not worrying excessively about it so that's good.

Right now
    The inimitable Marty Grosz "Hooray for Bix."
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and JeffMo like this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Found this really cheap so I bought it. Sounds like a mono soundboard tape.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You're in for a serious treat. Nothing mainstream or commercial about that album. Groundbreaking stuff....

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Randy Weston/Billy Harper - The Roots Of The Blues

One good Weston beckons another.....great duo album.

markp, bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  6. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Oh yes , a wonderful album
    They played a magical concert at the Detroit festival a couple of years ago
    Have you heard Randy Weston plays Ellington ? Another must listen ...as are so many Randy Weston recordings
    What are some favorites of yours ?

Lonson likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

African Cookbook
    In The Cool Of The Evening
    The Spirits Of The Ancestors
    The trio of albums that include the Ellington tribute you memtioned
    Volvano Blues
    The Story Teller

I could go on....:) the only album I don't really rate much is Destry Rides Again but I can't seem to let it go either....

Craig's Story likes this.
  8. Lonson

There are so many great official recordings of Weston! (And unofficial ones too!) I really like every one I've heard. And especially like those with Alex Blake on bass. . .

9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

French thread members,
    Felicitations pour la coupe du monde.

Funny that I was just listening to some French music. If you can call Debussy French music.

Just got back from vacations (several hours driving) and was playing classical music (one of those cheap compilations CDs that I never play), while unpacking my stuff. Have a massive headache, need some calm sounds.

As a Bill Evans fan I should have proper Debussy in my house. So I'm asking you for guidance. Can you point me some good "Debussy" CDs ?! ( @Six String , @Tribute ,@Lonson...)

It will sound stupid but I don't think I can take an entire CD of his compositions. That music makes me feel sad. Those precious instants of silence between notes leaves too much time for my mind to wander into dark places. Even if I try just to focus on the sound I start to imagine him playing and his surroundings. Can you be happy and produce that kind of music ?

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  10. Lonson

Well. . . I love his solo piano music. Walter Gieseking has the interpretations I know the best and really enjoy.

I also really like the orchestral "La Mer" . . . the version I listen to is on RCA, Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I like almost all Debussy's orchestral music, and I would suggest listening to some Ravel and Satie, who I also really enjoy.

vanhooserd and Yesternow like this.
  11. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I know streams are not a favorite around here but Slacker Radio has a good one right now. Don Was counting down the top 75 Blue Note tracks to celebrate their 75th anniversary.
    I have listened to it a couple of times and picked up some new (new to me) info,
    click here,... Blue Note 75
    Here's the blurb for it,
    Iconic jazz label Blue Note Records has been releasing seminal jazz albums for over 75 years now. In tribute, we’ve created a countdown of 75 classic songs from their legendary catalog. The Blue Note 75 is hosted by president of Blue Note Records and Grammy Award winning producer Don Was.

Lonson likes this.
  12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Silence between notes aside, these are the Debussy SACDs I have that I like:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  13. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Miles' Jack Johnson rings in my head as we visited Graceland Cemetery on a Chicago History Museum tour and we came across the man's grave:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Morbius, xybert and 2 others like this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Enjoying the new JD Allen ballads album tonight.

[​IMG]

xybert likes this.
  15. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes I guess we really could (gladly) go on and on but let’s not forget the Mosaic Select set that includes the recordings with Coleman Hawkins

Six String likes this.
  16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Sonny Clark is fun kick to go on, I keep finding new things to appriecate about his playing the more I dig in. The Grant Green sessions alone are sublime.

Morbius and guidedbyvoices like this.
  17. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Felt like a little Kenny Burrell tonight - All Day Long and All Night Long twofer. Love both of these records.

[​IMG]

Moko, bluemooze and Six String like this.
  18. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Herb Robertson - Shades of Bud Powell

Here's the original cover; i have the W&W version pictured below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Six String like this.
  19. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

There is much to enjoy in Debussy's piano music e.g. Children's Suite, la fille aux cheveux de lin, clair de lune, etc. I don't think the pieces are sad. In fact, they often seem so beautiful when rendered well and put me in a happy state.

I am not in a position to recommend a particular disc but I do enjoy Michelangeli's performance of this music.

Yesternow likes this.
  20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Does anyone know if the above reissue comes with extensive, interesting liner notes? I am aware it contains only one previously unreleased track (without Miles I believe), but if the sound is an improvement and there is some context provided by the writing I am interested. My old Japanese CD has just the music (26 tracks).

21. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Bobo Stenson Trio

[​IMG]

22. Lonson

E, I confess to two facts: I haven't yet done a direct comparison to the other versions I have of this material, and I have not read the liner notes. In general I hardly read liner notes any longer; years ago I used to devour them but these days I am less interested in general, and I have never really enjoyed this film so haven't been too enthused to read about it. BUT the sound is very good, and the booklet is pretty extensive with photos and text. At the price point I see this I would say it's well worth picking up.

This morning I'm listening to this non-jazz item to sort of get an idea of a few sonic changes I made. I really like this "project" which I think came out quite well and introduced me to Rhiannon Giddens who I adore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Sorcerer and Six String like this.
  23. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Not sure if Mose is jazz,blues,but i do know he is a great writer,piano player and those distinctive vocals..you know exactly who it is.With a great band..Earl May bass and Paul Motian drums..
    [​IMG]

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Paul Bley - Solo Piano (SteepleChase)

Easing into the day....

bluemooze and xybert like this.
  25. Lonson

Definitely jazz (and blues). Great player, great record.